Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Getting my piggies tommorow!

Wizard

Cavy Slave
Well since December last year I was working on gathering information, and supplies for two pigs. We decided that we were finally ready to adopt about a week ago, so we got on petfinder at looked at the pigs that the Critter Coral still had available. These two young girls, Ewok and Mohawk, have been there for a while and we contacted the rescue about them. We were informed of their pignic tomorrow that is an hour and a half drive from our house. We submitted an application and got approved, so we are going to go get them tomorrow at the pignic. I'm so excited about it! We have everything set up, but our order of hay won't come until Monday. So we had to stop by the local pet supply store and buy some Western Timothy oxbow hay and some oxbow pellets. Our cage is only a 2x3 since they are young. Once we have more room in our house we will be upgrading to a 2x4 [Possibly a 2x5 if I can convince my mom.]

Any tips for the car ride home? :)

frashy

Cavy Slave
Grats on the piggies! I just looked them up on petfinder, they are hilarious looking with the long fur on the top of their head and backs. You definitely snatched up some cuties! I wonder, is that how silkies look when they are young? Or actually they look like coronets, because of the rosette on their heads.

As for the car ride, just make sure it isn't too hot and stuffy, or cold. Also, make sure it isn't too windy from having the windows down. Of course, don't blast the music, and lastly keep them out of direct sunlight. That's pretty much all I can think of! Are you bringing them home in a little carrier or a box? I make sure to bring along some food, veggies and a water bottle too when I ever happen to travel with my piggies.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Congrats! I second what frashy said. If you haven't already, I recommend buying a small cat carrier (I got one at Walmart for $15) its just easier and convenient to have in the long run and its also safer as it can be buckled in and you won't have to worry about them possibly escaping if it tips over, etcs. I usually put a towel in the bottom and a handful of hay so they have something to eat & hide in. You can also bring some veggies and a water bottle if ya want, but don't leave the bottle attached to the carrier during travel, it will drip because of the rattling from the road. Just keep it handy and offer them it if you take a rest stop or are maybe stopped at a light. Honestly though, if its just a 90 min trip, I wouldn't even worry about water and veggies. You also might want to bring an extra towel to block sun if needed to keep them in the shade.

Goodluck!

Wizard

Cavy Slave
Yup, I already have the carrier. At the moment I have a towel in the bottom, a cozy sack, and a very soft stuffed animal in it. I'll bring a towel to cover the carrier and a bit of hay too.

The wind/hot/cold won't be an issue since my mom and me like weather differently. I like the cold and she prefers warm so it'll most likely be a nice temperature in the car. :) The music won't be an issue either since we won't have the windows open, and loud music gives me migraines.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I line the carrier with layers of newspaper and add soft hay so they can munch and hide. I put the carrier on the car floor or the seat with the least sun exposure. You can use the seat belt to secure it. If you put it on the floor, you might want to turn off your stereo so they don't get blasted with music.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I'm going to try to attend the CC pignic - that is, if I can find it! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's easy to find. The forest preserve entrance is off Ogden Avenue. Bemis Woods is east of 294. The entrance is probably a half mile to a mile or so past 294 on the north side of Ogden. It will be held at Grove 5.

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
I was just checking out Petfinder.com last night and I remember them! They are soooooo adorable! I would of snapped them up if I would have seen them a while back, soooo cute! Congrats!!!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Congrats.
Ewok and Mohawk! Great names. The Ewoks were those brave little teddy-bear like hunter-gatherers in Star Wars, weren't they?

Oh I just found a picture, hope it loads. Is your Ewok a tough li'l girl?

Wizard

Cavy Slave
We aren't going to stay long at the pignic, mainly just to pick them up.

I have to admit, Ewok's name was what first appealed to me when I found them on pet finder the first time. Then the images loaded. I'll have to wait and see if she's tough like an Ewok though!

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
Make sure you put up some pics! Can't wait to see more of them and hear more about them!!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I looked at the Critter Corral on Petfinder and they have a LONG list of beautiful, gorgeous piggies. I just wanted to scoop them all up. I made a point of looking up Ewok and Mohawk and I found them. I'll practice my uploading skills again here. They are real stunners!! They appear to be abbey mix. Are they siblings?

Lucky piggies! Lucky you!

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
They probably won't drink in the car so bring some water and give them wet veggies periodically if it's a long car ride for you. Good luck! Can't wait to see some pigtures once they get settled in.

Wizard

Cavy Slave
Yeah, they are sisters. We where told they had to be adopted out together, but we planned to adopt both from the beginning anyway.

Haha, I warned all of my friends on facebook of the picture overload that is going to be happening over the next years.

I can't wait to see their personalities and everything!

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Congrats! Haha. All this info about care rides is going to help me in the future. I might be adopting a second piggie.

Wizard

Cavy Slave
The car ride home was fine. :) Mohawk laid by the carrier door so I was able to pet her through the door. Ewok took a liking to the cuddle sack I had in there, they are both definitely burrowers! They have been trying to go under neath the igloo by lifting it up, and they shoved the pad out of the bed. I gave them their veggies once they got home... Time to leave them alone so they can adjust to life at our house.

Mohawk is the brave one by the way. ;P

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
Soooo happy for you!! How was the event? You will have to put up pics when you find the time.. How exciting!

Wizard

Cavy Slave
I was only there for the first 13 minutes since I got there early. Looked pretty awesome though. They had all of the piggies for adoption outside in the pens, people sitting around them playing with them. They had a barbecue starting up, and a sale table. They had some cube sets, cozies, hammocks, books, magnets, shirts, etc. at the sale table. Before they adopted out the pigs they'd have you sit at table and fill out all the paper work while they clipped the pigs nails.

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
Gosh, I should of went to that today... Sounds awesome.. I wonder how many piggies they will adopt today! I am so happy for you!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm happy to say that Milo and Spike were adopted by someone with a lot of guinea pig experience. I didn't stay until the end so I don't know what the total number of adoptions will be. I think we had the largest turnout we've ever had. It was really crowded and a LOT of fun.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.