Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? 4 vs. 3

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
Well, I have piggy fever again... and that is never a good thing. It usually means that a new fuzz ball joins the house within a few months.
I have said the only way I'd be tempted to get another one would be if I found a female teddy. Well the girl who runs the rescue I adopted Lexi and Bella from has one. It is a permenant resident of the rescue but she needs to cut down on the number of animals she keeps herself so she can have more room and resources to rescue. I am so tempted now!!!!
So my question is, how much more work is it to have 4 guinea pigs instead of 3? I would keep the cage the same (2x5) since I have no room to expand it, but do you think I'd have to clean the cage more often, and how much would the cost of food/hay go up? Having two vs three was not a big adjustment except for expanding the cage, though I do find the hay goes a bit quicker now. I don't know what to do; I want this little girl so bad.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
4 pigs in a 2x5 is a bit too overcrowded in my opinion.

Remember, you want to put the piggies needs before your own. Adding another one simply because you fell for her may compromise your piggies happiness if the cage is too crowded- is that what you want?

I don't mean to sound harsh, just trying to point this out.

Last edited:

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
4 pigs in a 2x5 is a bit too overcrowded in my opinion.

I know, that is the absolute least amount of space they can have... but I dont have the means or money to expand further.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I know, that is the absolute least amount of space they can have... but I dont have the means or money to expand further.

If thats the biggest you can go then don't add more pigs for the sake of your existing pigs well being.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I agree with louis_joey, I know you want another pig "so bad" but without the means to expand the cage, it's probably not a good idea. Think about the pig's needs before your own. One day when you ARE able to expand, adding another pig would be fine but for now, 3 pigs in a 2X5 is the limit.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
3 pigs in a 2X5 is the limit.

According to the home page of this site, I was under the impression that the minimum is 4 sows in a 2x5. Isn't that correct? If that was the case, it would be fine, although bigger is always better!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
According to the home page of this site, I was under the impression that the minimum is 4 sows in a 2x5. Isn't that correct? If that was the case, it would be fine, although bigger is always better!

Well according to the homepage the minimum is 2X4 for 2 pigs and 2X5 for 3 pigs.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
So that means for 4 sows it should be 2x6. Which it is not and will not be.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Hmm, I'm almost positive I'm looking at this right. When you go to 4 pigs, and look at the "minimum column", it says 13 sq ft which is a 2x5.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
So that means for 4 sows it should be 2x6. Which it is not and will not be.

Exactly, which is why, without being able to expand the cage, bringing home a 4th pig, no matter how badly 3piggymomma wants to, is probably not a good idea.

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
Hmmmm I believe GpigsRSweet is right. I have seen Ly comment on this before. The minimum for 4 sows is 2 x 5. She has said if you can do more than you should but that if your space allows only the minimum than that is ok.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
As far as I can see, 2x5 is only 10.5 sq. feet. The minimum for 4 sows is 13 sq. feet or 2x6. And that is just the bare minumum. Bigger is better. The OP really shouldn't add the 4th pig.

ETA: brain isn't working tonight. Even if some say that 2x5 is fine for 4, its still pushing it too far.

Last edited:

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
Sorry but you are reading the chart on the homepage incorrectly. 2 x 5 is 13 square feet which is the minimum for 4 sows. A 2 x 4 is 10.5 square feet. Of course more is always better but the minimum is still a 2 x 5 so technically she can add another.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
2X5 is not 13 sq ft. It is 10.5 sq ft. 10.5 sq ft is the minimum for 3 pigs.

2X6 is 13 sq ft. 13 sq ft is the minimum for 4 pigs.

If you look all the way across the grid from 4 pigs, under the grids column, it shows 2X6. These are minimums and more is better.

Last edited:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The general rule of thumb is to start with a 2x3 for two females and add 1x2 for each pig. Which means that a 2x5 would be acceptable for 4 females.

That's not to say it's ideal, and more is always better. You'd want to make sure the pigs got along quite well, especially considering we're talking about the minimum size.

Another thing I wanted to comment on is that it seems to me that having "piggy fever" is not necessarily cause to max out your capacity. While the costs for veggies won't increase by much, and the time spent cleaning the cage isn't likely to be noticeable, you will probably have an increased chance of high vet bills, and THAT is definitely worth considering.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Alright, I really don't want to start a big debate on this, but

2x3 = 7.5 sq ft
2x4 = 10.5 sq ft
2x5 = 13 sq ft

The grids column is posting the "recommended" size.
So, yes, she technically could add another pig. That being said, if she adds another pig, space will, in a sense, be taken away from the pigs that are in the cage now. It is possible though.

ETA: Thanks Paula, guess we posted at the same time.

Last edited:

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
2 x 5 is 13 square feet...and now I give up. Good Luck 3 piggy :)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
To clarify the chart ...

2x3 = 7.5 sq. ft.
2x4 = 10.5 sq. ft., but 7.5 sq. ft. is the minimum for two pigs.
2x5 = 13 sq. ft., but 10.5 sq. ft. is the minimum for three pigs.
2x6 =15.75 sq. ft., but 13 sq. ft is the minimum for four pigs.

Dichotomy83

Cavy Slave
If you add another, are you prepared to potentially either rehome, or build another cage, or split your 2x5 into even smaller cages if this sow throws off the natural harmony of your already existing pigs?

ingrid

Cavy Slave
Its kind of a peeve of mine to see people say that a cage is too small even if it is within the guidelines laid out on this page. Minimum is just that, more would be better but you could get away with it. I know that we would all give our piggies the world if we could, but ultimately the minimum is GREAT compared to the lives that we are rescuing these piggies from.

That being said...I had my 2 boars in a 2x4 and found that it was not nearly large enough for them. Good luck either way. I am in a constant state of piggie fever. If I didn't have my husband to bring me back to earth I think I might have a serious hoarding problem on my hands!

Another thing that holds me back from bringing more piggies into our home (in addition to the threat of divorce :D) is that like the previous poster suggested, it is always possible that the pigs won't get along. I am too scared to do an introduction because someone might get hurt! I don't want my pigs to give up part of their space for a new pig that doesn't get along, and I know I can't handle another cage.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.