Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/18 Posts

Questions for those who use puppy pads

Where do you get them? Do you use more than one layer? How long does it last before you have to change them? Do you change the fleece at the same time as the puppy pads or does the fleece last longer than the pads? I've read of some people removing the pads every few days and using the same fleece until the deep clean once a week. Have you ever tried chux pads? I have some left over from my home birth kit but I gave them away and I am thinking maybe they would be better than the puppy pads?

Right now I am trying to find a temporary disposable absorbent layer. I can't keep up with toddler laundry sometimes 3 changes a day! Plus her cloth diapers, plus mine and my husband's clothes, plus we don't use any disposable paper products in the house so imagine every time you use a napkin or a paper towel you have to wash it! I have a lot of laundry and I feel like kind of a hypocrite using a disposable item when I work so hard to avoid it, but I just need a break! And this is way cheaper compromise between fleece/towels and paper/wood bedding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    192 Rec'd/99 Posts

Re: Questions for those who use puppy pads

Since I'm in Ireland I get my puppy pads in a Garden centre (pet section) When I was in the u.s in March I got a 32 pack in K-mart. I use the pads and fleece. I don't use towels anymore which is a big help and less washing. I change the pigs bedding every 5-7 days.That includes the pads but sometimes I wouldn't have to change all the pads.They always seem to pee and poopin in the litter box or just outside it. Poppy and Princess are in a now 4x5 and cookie is in a 3x4 (i'm always changing the cages). Chux pads ? is that like hospital bed pads ? I guess it would be the same ?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts

I buy them from a petstore that does not sell any animals. In delaware the store is Concord Pets. I also get my oxbow pellets from them every 6 bag is free...

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/18 Posts

yeah the chux pads are bigger and thicker. I just wondered if it would be better or worse if they were thicker.

Princesspoppy you have huge cages! It doesn't surprise me that you don't have stink issues. You could probably use anything! My pigs mostly hang out in the litter box or right outside it also. In that area I put down an extra pad folded in half.

I don't know if more than one layer would even work because of the plastic backing. Anyone need more than one layer?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ingrid View Post
    Where do you get them? Do you use more than one layer? How long does it last before you have to change them? Do you change the fleece at the same time as the puppy pads or does the fleece last longer than the pads? I've read of some people removing the pads every few days and using the same fleece until the deep clean once a week. Have you ever tried chux pads? I have some left over from my home birth kit but I gave them away and I am thinking maybe they would be better than the puppy pads?

Right now I am trying to find a temporary disposable absorbent layer. I can't keep up with toddler laundry sometimes 3 changes a day! Plus her cloth diapers, plus mine and my husband's clothes, plus we don't use any disposable paper products in the house so imagine every time you use a napkin or a paper towel you have to wash it! I have a lot of laundry and I feel like kind of a hypocrite using a disposable item when I work so hard to avoid it, but I just need a break! And this is way cheaper compromise between fleece/towels and paper/wood bedding.
    Use 2 layers of towels plus fleece. That is what I do. I change it twice of week. I could go once a week but I like to keep things really fresh. I started using a layer of puppy pads, towel, and fleece. I noticed that my girls poop/peed in their litter box so I don't have problem with smell.

Are you doing everything "green"? I applaud you. No paper towels...WOW!!! I really admire you for doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts

I use Munchkin Brand Baby Changing Pads under my fleece...one layer of fleece,one layer of pads and it lasts a week. No smell, no leaks...my coroplast bottom is as white and clean as the day I got it...and I've been doing it this way for 3 years.I get them at Target.
    Last edited by Wheekie; 05-27-10 at 12:08 pm. Reason: Forgot something!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/4 Posts

I use puppy pads. I get them at Ocean State Job Lot, I think those are just in New England though. I didnt look to see where you were located. I use fleece over those and change everything once a week. I have 2 boars, they tend to be a bit stinkier than girls, but im use to it. I get a pack of 50 for $11.99 and the brand is Priority Pet Products. I have a 4x4 cage and use 9 pads at a time. Only 1 layer is necessary because the backs/bottoms of the pads are plastic. I have 3 layers of towels under the pads for cushion. Hope that helps. Good luck

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/18 Posts

Get this: my pigs are potty trained. Well as much as pigs can be! I am so surprised. I put the puppy pads down a few days ago and I just lifted the fleece up and found NO PEE except for near the kitchen where Wally likes to sleep. Oh yeah and in their cuddle cups. I put a puppy pad folded up and a piece of fleece folded around that.

Yes crisma I try to be as green as possible! We cloth diapered our baby (who is completely trained at 2 years, she has CP too which can be a challenge so we are very proud of her!) We don't use napkins, paper towels, any paper plates or disposable silverware and cups. We use rechargeable batteries, cloth grocery bags, of course recycle and compost for our large garden! We don't use chemical cleaners and only use shampoo/conditioner/ other toiletries by companies that don't do animal testing. We only buy used clothing (mostly anyway. I have a little girl and it is hard to resist sometimes!) and we only have one car. We try to only take a shower every other day and conserve water by sharing showers between my husband and I. We don't leave the water on to brush teeth, don't usually use the dishwasher and rarely use the central air. Though it is hard I feel bad for the piggies. We have used it one day so far this year.

Its very cool to have a family of 3 (with a baby!) and only put out one bag of garbage a week.

Although I will say this, I tried very hard to get into cloth menstrual pads and "family cloth" which is in place of toilet paper. I couldn't do it. But we do use recycled toilet paper and it makes me feel a little better.

I am feeling worse and worse about the whole puppy pad thing! Though I can't image we would go through that many if they don't go outside of their little box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Blog Entries

I get my puppy pads from Target( 48 pack) or any store that has a pet section. I even went to the Dollar General and there was a 12 pack. I am in NJ now.

User Tag List