Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Should I adopt, for a guinea pig whose companion just died?

guineaswineflu

Cavy Slave
My 6 year old guinea pig just died, leaving my 4 year old guinea pig depressed.
Should I adopt a new guinea pig for my current guinea pig? I don't think I should keep her alone as honestly she is timid and not very affectionate as compared to my deceased guinea pig.
And if I do adopt a young guinea pig, I may not be able to care for it throughout it's life because I may be in college in a few years. If that is the case, then should I adopt an older guinea pig? Are there any cons in adopting an older one?
Oh and on a random sidenote, do animals of other species (like rabbits) get along well with guinea pigs? I don't mean live together, but in separate cages. Is it possible for them to keep each other company like that, side by side?

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs and rabbits often do not/cannot "communicate" or keep each other company. I have a rabbit in the same room as my cavies. For a few days she was interested in them, even let them groom her nose. But now she has lost all interest and completely ignores them. Rabbits and cavies don't make great companions for one another--and rabbits live to be 10-15 whereas cavies live to 5-7.
"Older" cavies [those over 3 years of age] are often overlooked in rescues/shelters because many potential owners think they will adopt them and only "get" a few months or a couple of years out of them. You should adopt an older guinea pig. The only con would be that it may have a health complication, or it will develop one.

ingrid

Cavy Slave
I agree with adopting an older pig. But you run the risk of a medical problem with any pig really, so I wouldn't let that hold you back. Plus I think its a distinct possibility for an older pig to live out its life without any significant medical issues, right?

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
You're very right, ingrid. An older guinea pig is about as likely to develop a health issue as a younger pig. I only mentioned it because the OP asked if there were any cons to adopting an older pig. I can see now how what I said can be taken as "old guinea pigs will get sick and die" or something along those lines :p

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just adding my agreement that adopting an older and more settled pig might be the best bet. And saying "good luck". Hope it works out for you.

guineaswineflu

Cavy Slave
Thank so much for all your help. Currently I found a 4 year old guinea pig available for adoption, and her companion just died too. Hopefully all goes well :/

Last edited:

Lady_Magoo

Cavy Slave
Aw, they can help each other coap with their losses! I have two young ones, but I do believe the next time I get guinea pigs I am adopting some older ones.

Good luck!

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I've tend to notice that in the shelters it's usually the older guinea pigs that are left behind unwanted while the younger ones get adopted out. It's kind of sad to see that. I think that if you adopted an older pig to be a companion for your current one, you'll be doing a good thing. I plan to do the same thing in the future when my two piggies pass on. That way, I know that at least some of the piggies out there don't have to die old and alone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.