Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

new pups and moms any info appreciated

maynards pigs

Cavy Slave
I have 2 females (pet store purchased) so babies not intentional but both had 2 pups each this week (2 pups are 4 days old & 2 are 2 days old) I was just wondering if anyone had any information on signs I should be watching for, in moms and babies, that would signal a problem. Everyone seems to be doing okay but I have one baby(4 days old) who seems to have problems in one eye which just started its eye seems clouded over. My vet is not in today but I am calling Monday morning. I gently wiped it out and I had some terramycin on hand and put a small bit in the pups eye and actually just cleaning it out seemed to improve it a bit. Any info on pup and post partum care would be greatly appreciated as we are fairly new GP owners- Thanks so much

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Terramycin can be harmful if ingested so I'd be careful using it on a tiny pup.

It sounds like it may be entropion https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#entropion

What breed/color are the babies? If any are all white and the parents are roan, you want to make sure there are no lethals.

Some breeds like texels are prone to entropion at birth. Sometimes the babies can scratch their eyes coming out of the birth canal too.

You want to get a kitchen scale and weigh mom and babies daily. Weight loss can be a sign of concern. https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

Be sure to remove any male babies at 21 days.

maynards pigs

Cavy Slave
No none of the babies are all white. I did research the eye and I believe it is entropion- the baby has hair that grows every which way- is that a texel? I read to pull the hair away from the eye and gently clean the eye and use terramycin if it is ulcerated. I have been doing this for about 3 days and the eye is almost completely cleared now. Since it is cleared though I will stop using the terramycin did not know it was dangerous thanks. Moms and babies have an appt. with the vet next week just to make sure everyone is healthy. (and to sex the babies cuz I don't wanna mess that up!!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.