Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sewing Machine Recommendations?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I am going to get a sewing machine soon - I've been saving my money for a long time. Only I'm not sure what to get! I do know how to sew, so I don't necessarily need a beginner's sewing machine. I've been looking at so many models and I just don't know. I don't care either if it is manual or electric. I am hoping some of you out there can recommend a machine you are familiar with. It's been at least 15 years or so since I've had a machine and that one was one of those old metal ones.

Mainly, I would like to use it to sew pig bedding, clothing alterations, and occasionally a crafty project like sewing a doll or bag or something. So, it must be strong enough to go through several layers of fabric, but also delicate enough for alteration work.

My budget is probably $200 max.

Any advice? :)

I have a Sears Kenmore. It all depends on what you want it to do. Sewing machines come in all different price ranges with different functions. If you just want basic stitching, you'd probably want a basic model. I'd stick with a reputable name, though, like Singer, Kenmore, Brother. Some machines do embroidery, button holes, etc. If you go to a fabric store, they should have test models. You can get a good for one under $200.

I have an old singer and I love it. I have a sewing shop around me and I find that the older models are the way to go.

Don't get a Euro. Both my mother-in-law and I have one, and they are awful.

I have the Singer Simple. I absolutely love it and it's wonderful. I might be using it wrong though as I don't know what the tension and width buttons on top of the machine are as the needle tips do break easily but I think that's really just my own idiocy... :) But I absolutely love it though! It took me an hour to made ONE cozy sack. Now it takes 15 minutes to sew the cotton and fleece base. Just sewing them together though takes the other extra 10 minutes as I have to get it right;)

Before you decide on which machine to get, save yourself a lot of trouble and make sure that there is a store/department/handyman nearby who knows how to repair your machine, should she break down. I don't know what I would do without the local singer repairman.
That said, I have always loved Singers. I got a Singer Esteem 6 years ago and she [Enid] is still alive and kicking today! She was around $100 at Target.

I have this one. It's great for what I need, which is basically piggy cozy sacs and beds, basic clothing repairs, and very small craft projects.

I have a Kenmore Mini Ultra and it works great. :)

Janome is my brand of choice. They're a little more pricey, but they last forever. Also, I prefer drop in bobbins.

Janome is my brand of choice. They're a little more pricey, but they last forever.
That reminds me, before I bought my current machine, I had this one. It was really great, though it was a bit too much machine for me. I ended up giving it to my sister when she had her first child, but I was very pleased and impressed with the quality of the brand. I bet they have some in your price range that you'd be equally impressed with, MissFormosa. :)

Thanks for all the replies!

I have been wondering about the Janome brand. It looks really sturdy.
The Brother you suggested Paula looks great too!

I have a Janome...AND I LOVE IT! I loved it so much, my mom used it...and she bought one...And now we have a Janome embroidry machine as well, although it is not used a whole lot.

My mom bought mine as an early birthday present. I had I believe a Brother from JoAnne's, went through two of those in a matter of a month because they were junk. I also had another machine from walmart...worked okay, but still was no where near as smooth as my Janome.

The only issue I have had with it is the first Janome I had. Brought it home, it locked up completely. I took it to our local sewing shop we bought it from, and they had no idea what happened to it. They gave me another one (no charge at all) and ever since then I have been completely in love. I am not sure of the model number, but it was only about 250. This was 4 years ago, so it could even be cheaper now if the model was not discontinued. My mom has one that is digital, and I like it too, but mine is not.

They are very quiet machines. My mom and I quilt and we just put in a DVD and start sewing. We barely have to turn the tv up to hear it.

I greatly recommend the company.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.