Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Netherlands I found great cubes and coroplast!

IrisxMinerva

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I know a lot of dutch people have a hard time finding grids. I've been looking for grids on the internet for 3 days; all I could find were cubes in other countries so it would be very expensive to ship them (20 to 60 euro's).

I was amazed that there wasn't an easier option, why wouldn't dutch stores have cubes? So I kept on searching and searching.. and then I found them!
I found the cubes on the website of "Leen Bakker". You can order them on the website, but you can also just go to the store and buy them, because delivery is very expensive.
Here's the link: (broken link removed)
They are black 9x9 grids, a box of 15 grids costs €29.99 and a box of 27 grids costs €49.99.

My first concern was to get the grids, so I didn't look for coroplast yet. But since I had the grids now I didn't want to wait to make the cage, so I started looking for coroplast.
I searched the internet for coroplast first, which wasn't unsuccesful, I found 2 dutch websites where you can order coroplast.
(broken link removed)
Click "kunststof kanaalplaat" and you'll see the coroplast. (If you want to order here, mind the thickness of the coroplast. A thickness of 3mm or 4mm is best.
There are a few people who offer coroplast on "Marktplaats.nl", I'm sure you dutch people know how marktplaats works. If you want me to give you a link for the pages on marktplaats where they sell coroplast, just ask.
You will find coroplast in holland under the name of "polypropyleen kanaalplaten" or simply "kunststof kanaalplaten".
I didn't want to order my coroplast, because delivery is expensive and because I didn't want to wait. So I started looking for it in stores, I went to "Gamma" and "Karwei" the only coroplast-like stuff they had there was too thick (6mm), I considered buying it but I wanted to look in other stores first. So then I went to "Praxis", and there I found 4mm thick coroplast! It's better than the 6mm ones, because they're more flexible. The only downsides are that they only had 1 color (transparent) and the sizes were small, so I had to buy 3 seperate ones for my 2x3 cage. One piece of the coroplast costs around 8 euro's.

My search was well worth it! I have my very own C&C cage now and my cavy loves it too! I'm still in the process of decorating and finishing the cage, so it's not completely done yet. I hope this information helps some people and that they can find the cubes and coroplast.

This information might also be helpful for people from Belgium and Germany

PS: I made a new thread, because all the previous threads about finding cubes and coroplast in the Netherlands were rather old.

AlenaJanelle

Cavy Slave
Thank you for this information!! I just got 3 new cavias, live in the Netherlands and have been searching for days also on how to get the stuff for C&C cages. I bought one (well, my parents did) at a local DIY market but it's a bit too small for 3 guinea pigs.We have looked all over the place for this material, am so happy to find your post!. You were a great help and I hope my guinea pigs/cavias will be much happier in their new play space (which they have to wait until Friday to get because tomorrow is a holiday). groetjes

IrisxMinerva

Cavy Slave
No problem! I'm glad I could help ;)

I also found a great website where you can order really cute stuff for your guinea pig, I'll post the link here incase anybody is interested:
Welkom | Slaaplekkerzacht.nl
She makes tunnels, cuddle cups, cozy sacks and more for guinea pigs and other pets. If you want to buy something there, she will make it for you and you can choose the fabrics you want her to make it from. You can make your own stuff too ofcourse, I've made my own cuddle cup and cozy sack with instructions from this website.

ingrid

Cavy Slave
I really love those covered cuddle cups! It looks like there might be a removable pad in them? Or maybe just a pillow. I don't speak the language but was wondering what these are called. I thought it was "afbeelding" until I looked it up on a translator! Hehe!

I just went back and looked for the real word that she is calling them, theemuts, right? I thought the translation I found, "tea bonnet" was funny! Is there something lost in that translation? :)

IrisxMinerva

Cavy Slave
No thats the right translation, its just the nickname she has for them I guess.. and yea I love them too!! I've been trying to design something like that myself, if I figure out how to make it i'll post instructions on this website:) when you order a "theemuts" you can also order an extra little pillow that fits into the theemuts. I don't know what they are called in english, but I guess people understand what you mean if you say "covered cuddle cup" lol.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I think theemuts literally means 'tea cap'-- warm cap to put over a teapot. The Dutch probably use these every day like the English do--the English call them tea cosies instead of caps. Cosy of course gives the idea of keeping something warm too. (Americans spell it cozy). Many people in England say cosy for short when they mean the tea cosy, as in 'I need a new cosy for the kitchen'. Every kitchen has at least one cosy over there!

My guess is that theemuts was chosen as a literal translation of 'cosy' in the above meaning of 'tea cosy'. The cuddle cups are sometimes called cozy cups in American English. So metaphorically, they are 'tea cosies' even though they don't have the same shape as a tea cosy.

I think in American the idea of the tea cosy was reinterpreted to mean 'covering' rather than 'thing for keeping the tea warm in the pot. Because I have heard people refer to 'toaster cozies' and even 'blender cozies' --- covers for appliances!

Sorry, I'm a linguist, I can't help talking about interesting language things.

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
I wish I spoke something! lol I can only speak English. Those cavy things are too cute. I wish I knew what it all said though...

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
I wish I spoke something! lol I can only speak English. Those cavy things are too cute. I wish I knew what it all said though...

My computer translates it for me! :) Thanks SO much for posting the link Iris, you've given me some fabulous ideas!

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
My computer translates it for me! Thanks SO much for posting the link Iris, you've given me some fabulous ideas!

SQUEE!!! Mine does too! I'M SO EXCITED! :D:D:D

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
I really really want some of this stuff! This site has such adorable stuff! But I can't read any of it. ):

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Does she ship worldwide?

IrisxMinerva

Cavy Slave
Ooh thanks Cogni! Now I finally know why sometimes I see cozy with an 's' and other times with a 'z'. And yea, I think languages are really interesting too! I speak 2 languages myself (dutch and frisian). I also (kind of) speak german and english and I understand some spanish, french and latin (and also a little japanese lol).

Feeorin- I think she does ship world wide, here's what it says on the website:
If you live in Europe, shipping costs €3.50 if the product fits into an envelope, €7.50 if it has to be shipped in a package and if your order costs over €75 shipping is free.
Shipping outside of Europe costs €5 if it fits into an envelope, and shipping in a package costs €10 at least, if your order costs over €100 shipping is free. 1 Euro is about 1.25 US dollars.
I doubt that it's really that cheap though, if anybody is interested in having something shipped to the US, I could send her an email to ask if she does that and how much it would cost.

If anybody needs something translated, just ask me.

ingrid

Cavy Slave
I think theemuts literally means 'tea cap'-- warm cap to put over a teapot. The Dutch probably use these every day like the English do--the English call them tea cosies instead of caps. Cosy of course gives the idea of keeping something warm too. (Americans spell it cozy). Many people in England say cosy for short when they mean the tea cosy, as in 'I need a new cosy for the kitchen'. Every kitchen has at least one cosy over there!

My guess is that theemuts was chosen as a literal translation of 'cosy' in the above meaning of 'tea cosy'. The cuddle cups are sometimes called cozy cups in American English. So metaphorically, they are 'tea cosies' even though they don't have the same shape as a tea cosy.

I think in American the idea of the tea cosy was reinterpreted to mean 'covering' rather than 'thing for keeping the tea warm in the pot. Because I have heard people refer to 'toaster cozies' and even 'blender cozies' --- covers for appliances!

Sorry, I'm a linguist, I can't help talking about interesting language things.

This is so interesting! I was totally thinking of a hat though, thats why it made no sense to me. A had for tea? lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.