Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Tumor Miss Fanny had her surgery today - WARNING Graphic photos

Koernerpigs

Cavy Slave
Miss Fanny had her surgery today for what the vet thought was a sebaceous cycst. It turns out it was more of a tumor and much larger than he expected. He Feels confident that he did remove all of it though.

She is out of surgery and doing fine but will have to stay overnight because the vet wants to keep her on injectable pain meds and also to monitor her progress. He really is a wonderful Doctor.

Dr. Dan Lejnieks
Bird & Exotic Clinic, Seattle, Tracy Bennett, Daniel Lejnieks, DVM, Vet, Rabbit, Snake, Reptile, Rat, Ferret, Lizard, Washington

I will add some post op pictures to this thread when I get her back in the morning. I dont know how Im going to sleep tonight, I have been worried about her all day. We dropped her off this morning at 8am.

I will continue to update as I find out more.

Update: Just got a call back from the vet, Miss Fanny is doing so well he has decided to let us take her home tonight! My husband is going to go pick her up right now!

Last edited:

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Yay! Well done Miss Fanny and the excellent doctor! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Yay!
That's good that they got all of the tumor removed:)
Good luck to you and Miss Franny for a quick recovery!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Glad she's doing well!

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
Oh no! I'm glad that the vet feels confident and was prepared to handle that! I hope she is feeling better soon!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Quick recovery to your sweet little girl!

Koernerpigs

Cavy Slave
Re: Miss Fanny had her surgery today warning:Graphic)

So Fanny got to come home, so far she's doing ok, eating a little but not moving around too much. we have her separated right now until she's feeling a little bit better.

The Vet sent her home with Buprinex and Metacam and no antibiotics. He didnt seem to think it was necessary since there wasn't any signs of infection.

The last pic of the actual tumor wasnt even the whole thing. Those were just the largest two masses. There was more tissue that he had to cut away from some muscle where it had grown inbetween.

Even with the best exotics vets and cyto and histo labs there can be the possiblility of misdiagnosis. This was not a Sebaceous cycst like we first thought.

Please be thorough when feeling your pigs for lumps and bumps and note changes in the ones that you notice! It might avoid an invasive proceedure such as this one.

Last edited:

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Wow those are amazing photo! What brave little girl you has.

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Goodness gracious! Look at that! Poor piggiee!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the caution about checking for lumps! I have not done that systematically.

I have never seen anything like that tumor pic. A graphic but necessary warning.

Kudos to you for getting your pig excellent medical treatment and for your first-rate piggie nursing care. It cheered me up after reading a depressing thread about a woman who thinks piggies are not high enough up on the 'life scale' to deserve medical care for serious problems.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Whoa, that's a lot of tissue! Poor girl, I bet she feels much better with it gone. Here's to a quick recovery!

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Get well soon little one!!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Bless her! She's a beautiful piggie!

Koernerpigs

Cavy Slave
On Behalf of Miss Fanny, Thanks to everyone for all the support, we really appreciate it! She seems to be doing well, we put her best friend in the hospital cage with her so she wouldnt be lonley. This pig is also the least likely to investigate or try to do anything harmful to her sutures.

The swelling has gone down but it still does look pretty gruesome like Franken-piggie. Im sure it will take a while for all that hair to grow back.

Ill be updating this thread with more pictures as the incision heals.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Are you sending the tumor out for histopathology to see what it is?

JenKY

Cavy Slave
I am so glad to hear that she is doing well! Those pics were very informative. How wonderful that you have such a good vet!

Koernerpigs

Cavy Slave
Are you sending the tumor out for histopathology to see what it is?

Yes we did have that ordered and got the same results as the first histo lab: benign tissue mass.

This is a relief to some degree, but I will be continuing to watch the site to make sure that nothing is growing back. My vet said that if it does start to grow back, the first place it will start will probably be on her back bone.

danielle715

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear she is doing well. You are a wonderful piggie parent!

Koernerpigs

Cavy Slave
Here is the incision on 05.05.10. So far still doing well and healing up nice

photo3.jpg
https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/mizdeliverance/photo3.jpg

Koernerpigs

Cavy Slave
Miss Fanny's Tumor surgery - WARNING Graphic photos

Miss Fanny almost completely Healed up! She sure is a tough little piggie! Her recovery went better than expected.

30561_407407142224_237734582224_384.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.