Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Getting Along Tone in threads

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
It's the internet. Therefore, you have no idea who you are talking to besides what their username is. So how can you be offended by someone you don't know?
Tone can be interepreted in many different ways for all kinds of people. You may think that one post is snobby and rude, but to someone else, it may be just firm and well-said. I also think that pre-existing opinions about certain members can influence the way you read a post.
It's all how you read into it. And sometimes people won't listen and understand you unless you say it in a firmer way. Sarcasm isn't always intended to be hurtful, but I think it is frequently misinterpreted to be rude. I admit, the posts that are firm and well-said are the ones that influence me the most. And if there is danger involved, it's better to just say things in a way that is blunt and concise.

I could not agree with this entire statement anymore...! Here's what I think happens that causes the tone to be in question (I do not mean to offend), someone new comes to the forum after just getting pigs from a pet store or purchasing a breeding pair or any other situation and they make a post and ask for help. Obviously the members and mods are going to tell them what they are doing wrong and why and what they should do instead to help improve their guinea pig's life. Well, this new person is going to feel attacked and probably overwhelmed because he/she is being told that everything he/she knew about guinea pigs and their care is false. Some people, like myself, are very heard-headed and react some-what angrily when they are questioned of their knowledge or when told they are wrong. Well, then this person tries to defend themselves and eventually (skipping a few steps) a argument/fight/disagreement ensues.

I am in no way saying that this is right, I am just trying to explain the fact that the mods and most of the members on this forum are not the bad guys in these situations. In the end, their goal is to help you and your guinea pigs. I would just swallow your pride, stop the arguing, and appreciate the fact that there is a forum like this full of wonderful people and equally as wonderful information.

utsarah

Cavy Slave
What does religion have to do with this particular topic??

ojars

Cavy Slave
NanSm4 -- a suggestion -- simply ignore the folks you consider in poor tone. This will save your time, which you can use to study the many, many useful posts on this excellent forum.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
What does religion have to do with this particular topic??
Not a thing.

Which is why the post in question was delted and removed completely before too many folks were able to see it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.