Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need to rehome all my pigs

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
I was really sick a few days ago with a vomiting bug, the morning after I cleaned the guinea pigs cage. (Changed the fleece) The doctor even sent me to the hospital.
But it went away then that night even though I was really sick that morning.
My mam was saying to me that it could be the guinea pigs but I just though it was just something that I eat.

But last night I changed the fleece again.And then again, this morning I had the same thing.
I went to the doctor and my mam told him that I had seven guinea pigs in my room and that I get this when I clean their cage. And the doctor said that I was going to have to get rid of them as I have a very bad reaction to the pigs. My mam agreed with this :weepy:
I don't know what is it because I never had a reaction to the guinea pigs! Not even a cough or a stuffy nose.
I had to stay off school today and every thing I walk into my room, I feel sick and have to go back out again.

The guinea pigs arn't showing any signs of illness.

Is there anything that I can do?
Did anyone else every have this before?

I'm really worried that they wouldn't go to a good home.

Thanks for reading.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry to hear this. If it hasn't always been this way, maybe the piggie has illness passing on?

Wishing you all the best. :love:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You've had the pigs for a long time Laura. If it was something caused by them it would have shown up a lot sooner, I would think.

Are you sure it's the pigs and not some virus making you ill? Have the doctors ran any blood test on you to see if you have a virus or other infection?

Have you recently gotten anything new for the pigs?

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
You've had the pigs for a long time Laura. If it was something caused by them it would have shown up a lot sooner, I would think.

Are you sure it's the pigs and not some virus making you ill? Have the doctors ran any blood test on you to see if you have a virus or other infection?

Have you recently gotten anything new for the pigs?
No, I don't have any virus or anything.

Like in food? The pigs still have the same food. The only thing I think of is; it sort-of started when I got Edward. And I'm not sure of Edward's background. I think he was from a petshop. (Edward story: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/adoptables-discussions/52487-what-do-i-already-have-pigs.html )

Can we catch diseases off guinea pigs?

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Can we catch diseases off guinea pigs?

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can only catch bacterial diseases from your guinea pigs. You cannot catch a simple cold or something like that from them, though.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Oh that is sad and I am sorry for you but good luck with the choices ahead of you.

However you mention they are on fleece, could it not be a new detergent you are using? My doctor tested me for everything from every single part of a Guinea Pig (urine, dander, nails, etc, etc) to everything I use in my house and it was quite a sad moment when it ended up being the protein in Gizzy's urine and dander that I am allergic too.

I did a bit of a search on Google.co.za and found quite a number of cases of people becoming allergic to detergent and materials (did not know you could be allergic to materials - I learn something new everyday)

However good luck with figuring it out.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You could try a different bedding for a week or so, or perhaps find someone to take the pigs for a couple of weeks. Scrub down and air out your bedroom and see if it happens again when you take them home. Have a positive attitude that it will work out, because sometimes it is anxiety that makes these things recur. It happened once so it will happen again. I had a friend who got sick in a movie theater and could never go back to the movies without feeling she was going to get sick.. The first time was probably a stomach bug, but after that it was anxiety that made her feel she was sick.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I don't know how old you are, but due to hormones when I was in my late teens I became incredibly sensitive to smell suddenly (especially around my period), and things like changing the litter box of the cats (or heck even sometimes the cats themselves) would have me vomiting violently.

It went away once my body settled until I got pregnant and then I had the same thing again for my first two trimesters (infact this is how I realized I was pregnant).

You might want to talk to your doctor about hormonal factors if these are a possibility for you.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I must say all of the people above have been very helpful!

Good luck. Act as if it will work, and it will. Do nice things for people, ask nothing in return(I am a big believer in karma/very superstitious), good karma. :)

gilbanne

Cavy Slave
I sort of had the same types of issues. I switched to a disposable bedding (there is extra exposure to dander with fleece), and that seemed to help a lot. Also, it might be allergies--seasonal ones. Are you in a new house or state or area? My issues coincided with a very bad mold/pollen/ragweed influx. Also, I try to clean my cage right before I shower, so that I can get any residuals off me. Additionally, I also do not hold my guinea pigs before bed (unless there is a shower between the two events) for the same reason. Are you possibly allergic to their hay? Some people have allergies to certain types. Some people do develop allergies to guinea pigs over time (known as a sensitization), which is very unfortunate if that is the case with you. Good luck!

gilbanne

Cavy Slave
P.S. Two more suggestions--1) get an air purifier (<$30), and see if that helps--in the colder months where there is less air circulation, pet dander stays in the air longer. Also, 2) try moving the cage to another room. There is some evidence to suggest that it is the length of exposure to pet dander (not the frequency) that can give people allergic reactions. And, as always, wash your hands after handling your pigs!

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Oh Laura. Thats sad. But you do know that the vomiting bug in around Dublin at the moment. I'm JUst over it and 2 friends have it also and 1 of my neighbours.
I'm only 45minutes drive from you so if you need anything let me know.

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Tbh this sounds like something you've eat. If you DID develop an allergy to guinea pigs you would see external signs like a rash or bumps etc, rather than just an internal allergy. I have never seen anyone with has good hygiene develop any internal reactions like tummy from just touching the animals or bedding. Having said that, i have seen people with both external and internal reactions, but those are very rare cases.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do you wash your hands after you clean the cage, and before you eat? I'm sorry but this doesn't like the guinea pigs or cage alone is the source of the tummy bug.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.