Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives First cage, suggestions please

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I just got a new guinea pig and i found that the SuperPet 48" hutch was too small for 3 guinea pigs, so i decided to make a bigger cage, and couldn't make a C&C cage as they don't sell the cubes here in NZ. S

So.. Heres what i got up to:
I cut the legs of the hutch, and attached it to the metal mesh. And nailed the mesh to the table. The cage measures at 9.8ft x 6.5ft

(broken link removed)

My guinea pigs under the table beside the window, one is hiding inside the grassy hutch :p

(broken link removed)

A mini tent, and a cut up storage box

(broken link removed)

What could i improve to make this better?

(broken link removed)

trekkerpig

Cavy Slave
Hey! I'm in NZ and I have found the cubes!! You can get them from payless plastics. I live in Auckland and there is one out in Henderson. They are also nation-wide. They are a bit pricey but if you want the genuine product they are exactly what you need. For coroplast (here it is called corflute) I got a large display board from whitcoulls it was a little small but you can get two and tape together about a quater to a half of the second one and then use the rest to add on sides. It can actually look quite good despite all the cutting and sticking. You wouldn't even notice if you do it well!!

Anyway your cage at the moment looks all right. To me personally, it's a tad messy but it sounds big enough. Of course the piggies don't mind. I would say stick with what you've got but if you are really really wanting a C&C what I suggested above should help. Also I saw the warehouse have these storage cubes but they are plastic and to me they look like they'd be solid instead of wire to see through, though they provide the same function. I didn't like them though they were cheap. I'm going with the more expensive payless ones.

oh and if they don't have them in stock I emailed them and they are stocking them at my local payless.

Otherwise I think your cage looks nice, with lots of assessories. good job!! The only improvement I would say is tidy it up a bit but I'm just a bit of a neat and clean freak!! Your piggies are gorgeous by the way!

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Is your cage outside?

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hey! I'm in NZ and I have found the cubes!! You can get them from payless plastics. I live in Auckland and there is one out in Henderson. They are also nation-wide. They are a bit pricey but if you want the genuine product they are exactly what you need. For coroplast (here it is called corflute) I got a large display board from whitcoulls it was a little small but you can get two and tape together about a quater to a half of the second one and then use the rest to add on sides. It can actually look quite good despite all the cutting and sticking. You wouldn't even notice if you do it well!!

Thanks for that, i have ordered 2 boxes. I've been looking everywhere for them - mitre10, bunnings, briscoes :yawn:

I've got coroplast underneath all the bedding and fleece :p

Is your cage outside?

No, its inside a glass house. But i have a few windows open

trekkerpig

Cavy Slave
Ooooh! I feel like I've been helpful!! I'm getting two boxes as well. They have to send them out to my store and I know I'm probably going to have to faint at the price.....heheh. But I'm waiting for their call to say they've arrived. Which is exciting!

I think I've said this but your guinea pigs are gorgeous! Very, very healthy looking.

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Thanks. I got quoted $92 for 2 boxes shipped to wellington

My albino pig

camera phone = bad pic

trekkerpig

Cavy Slave
wow thats pretty good. i'm in Auckland and they've rang for my to collect my cubes tomorrow. I'm going for two boxes as well but they didn't tell me how much they would cost. I got an unhelpful email saying the price ranges from 39-90 dollars. But if it's $92 to wellington hopefully that means it'll be on the smaller side of that price range!!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Welcome,

There are no albino guinea pigs though. They are just pews i.e. pink eyed whites.

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
wow thats pretty good. i'm in Auckland and they've rang for my to collect my cubes tomorrow. I'm going for two boxes as well but they didn't tell me how much they would cost. I got an unhelpful email saying the price ranges from 39-90 dollars. But if it's $92 to wellington hopefully that means it'll be on the smaller side of that price range!!

Heres the email i received
They are $39.90 each for the set of 4 cubes that connect together.
Costs $8 for 1 shipped, $12 for 2 sets shipped

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.