Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions 2 very close sows and a neutered boar?

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone :)
I have to rearrange the cages because with seven guinea pigs in my room , it gets very squashed.
So I need to move Edward (neatered boar, 5-6 months ) into Sydney and Penney ( 3 years old, very close as they have been together since birth and never lived with any other guinea pigs - as far as I know. )
They would live in a 2x4.5. I know it isn't the best but thats all I can fit. And I really don't want to rehome Edward ( or any of my other pigs ) because the terrible life he had before he came to me and because my mam spent 70 euro getting him neutered.
And Edward is my mams favourite pig. I don't know why but she always likes male animals better because 'they are more cuddly'. lol
Anyway, would they get on okay together ? I know that I'll just have to wait and see but just guessing.
Did anyone else ever do that before? Did the close pigs accept the new pig?
Thanks so much!

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
Are you saying you have a 2x 4.5 as in four and a half, i got confused by all the points and numbers? If so, you are kind of pushing it with the space there. Is there any way you could at least make it a full 2x5 and possibly add a second level for food and sleeping, so the main floor could be open space for running.

I think the bigger the cage, the better you chances of them getting along. Also, at your little boars age, it is difficult to say if they would bet along. he is probably going to turn into a little pain in the butt as puberty hits. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Don't give up, if it doesn't work now, you might be able to reintroduce after puberty when he calms down a bit.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Are you saying you have a 2x 4.5 as in four and a half, i got confused by all the points and numbers? If so, you are kind of pushing it with the space there. Is there any way you could at least make it a full 2x5 and possibly add a second level for food and sleeping, so the main floor could be open space for running.

I think the bigger the cage, the better you chances of them getting along. Also, at your little boars age, it is difficult to say if they would bet along. he is probably going to turn into a little pain in the butt as puberty hits. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Don't give up, if it doesn't work now, you might be able to reintroduce after puberty when he calms down a bit.
Puberty. I am not looking forward to that.

Yes, four and a half. No , I can't make it a full 2x5. Well maybe I could if I changed my double bed to a single.

I could build an second level because I am already short of grids. I really need to start planning things out first.:guilty:

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
Unless you are in a really big rush to move him, I would try and give them as much running space as possible. Adding the second story doesn't really add to the total space, but if you can move food and hideys up there it would certainly help. I think especially since Edward is gonna hit puberty soon, you want to give as much room as you possibly can. Try to give it your best shot and make the cage as big as you can because if you have to separate, another intro will only be harder.

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't have the same puberty issues, that you have with males. I introduced 2 18 month old sisters, who are the best of friends.

010.jpg

I introduced them to my boar Fred, he was older about 2, but I didn't have any problems. I think the general rule is sows accept boars alot easier as it doesn't upset the dominance.

Introduce them on neutral ground, lots of veggies. I must confess I have done a boar introduction and it was awful. With females and males you generally know straight away if they will hit it off. It's magical compared to boars, and I now have a bonded trio, I generally have not heard about a sow not taking to a boar except one.

4.5 x 2 isn't ideal but with a boar and females, you have a very different relationship, they get on alot better and tend not to squabble (Speaking about my personal experience). It is nature, for a male to run with a tribe of females so, you have nature on your side when it comes to a pairing like this which is helpful.

I have also known a male to act as a peace keeper between his women, My Fred doesn't have too though they all get on brilliantly.

Might I add,Pebbles and Wilma had only ever lived with each other :). One more thing the girls are very good at telling Fred were to go, when he annoys them they pee on him lol.

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't have the same puberty issues, that you have with males. I introduced 2 18 month old sisters, who are the best of friends.
I introduced them to my boar Fred, he was older about 2, but I didn't have any problems. I think the general rule is sows accept boars alot easier as it doesn't upset the dominance.

Um, the one that is going to hit puberty is the boar. I thought Edward was the young pig and the two females are older? I think one of us is confusing them. Maybe Laura can tel us again, lol

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Um, the one that is going to hit puberty is the boar. I thought Edward was the young pig and the two females are older? I think one of us is confusing them. Maybe Laura can tel us again,
Yeah Edward is the younger pig and the girls are older. lol

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
I understand the boar will hit puberty but it is not like two males hitting puberty, were there can be big problems. Males need lots of space, a boar and girls is a totally different ball game so to speak.

Yes he will get hormonal but the girls will put him in his place and when they are in season he will get lucky. If the girls are not ready to mate, they will nip or pee on the boar.

Obviously I know they are not mating as he is neutered, but he will still get the urge to mate, and if the girls aren't spayed they will still go into season. Makes for one very happy boar.

If at the initial introduction the sows don't take to him it most likely won't work. Infact I researched like crazy when it came to introducing my trio and I think I found one group that fellout due to the female developing ovarian cysts and she fellout with the full ground. I did alot of research and talking to people including rescues and everyone I spoke to was of the same opinion.

Last edited:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
With my little experience I have mainly had problems with introducing females. I tried introducing Sebastian to my girls and one of them did not like him resulting in blood shed. When I introduced Sebastian to Pierre they hit it off imediately and are never far from eachother. They get along better then my females. It really depends on the pigs and until an introuction is tried you won't know the outcome. If the cage is an appropriate size and they are introduced on neutral territory then the chances of them getting along are greater.

Do all seven pigs have to be in your room? Maybe since he is your moms favorite she may be ok with a cage somewhere in the house so that she can easily interact with him.

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
With my little experience I have mainly had problems with introducing females. I tried introducing Sebastian to my girls and one of them did not like him resulting in blood shed. When I introduced Sebastian to Pierre they hit it off imediately and are never far from eachother. They get along better then my females. It really depends on the pigs and until an introuction is tried you won't know the outcome. If the cage is an appropriate size and they are introduced on neutral territory then the chances of them getting along are greater.

Do all seven pigs have to be in your room? Maybe since he is your moms favorite she may be ok with a cage somewhere in the house so that she can easily interact with him.

The sow that didn't like him, did she make her feelings clear during introduction or after?

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
During the introduction.

I think that generally is the case, when I was researching the bonding of my male and the two sows, what people said is if they aren't going to bond you will know immediately.

I do believe it is unusual, for females not to take to males but not unheard of.

Glad he found a friend though :).

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Hmmm...the only other choice is my mams room. (Because we have dogs)
Maybe I can talk her into it because then she would have to take Syndey and Penney. Thats if they get along.
All my sows are bonded:
Alice and Tilly- sisters
Sydney and Penney- never seperated
Milly and Molly- sisters

But Alice,Tilly,Milly and Molly all live together. So there is no odd ball for Edward. And then I would only have to put them in a 2x4.
Sorry just typing outloud here.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
I would suggest you find a way to make the cage bigger. If you want a better chance for a successful intro, you should have a propper size cage. I wouldn't keep the pig if I couldn't get a propper housing arrangement, not to sound harsh but that is my opinion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.