Thread: Need help convincing parents that indoors is better!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Exclamation Need help convincing parents that indoors is better!

My parents have agreed to let me adopt a pair of guinea pigs….. if they can live outside.

Of course, after reading everything on this site, I don't want to keep them outdoors. My mum is more for it (indoor housing) than my dad, but we don't know how to convince him.

I have started the usual arguments - They may die of heat/ cold, they won’t be as happy, we can’t always see them etc. But my dad still won’t budge. He doesn't really like many animals; he even said he hated dogs (until we got one, which he loves). If anyone has any ideas of things that may convince him, please help!

My other concern is, that whilst i would love to keep them indoors, I am really worried about my dog, she is small (a cocker spaniel), but she does not even like other dogs, and tries to eat just about any cat she ever sees. Of course, wherever they were housed, they would be off the ground, but I am still worried, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to further dog proof my cage. (I am considering a lid, but I like the idea, of being able to simply walk past and pat them)
    Last edited by Ly&Pigs; 04-08-10 at 08:36 pm. Reason: removing font tags, only default font works, others are disabled.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/15 Posts

Re: Need help convincing parents that indoors is better!

I would ask if they could be kept in your room. They would be out of your dad's way, and you could keep the other animals out of it.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

I thought of that, but I honestly do not have the room (i would not even be able to fit a 2 x 3 C&C cage), plus my room does not have air con, and it can get rather hot in summer. Thanks though

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,447 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

Find things on the forum or the site about outdoor housing and print it out and let your parents read it.

I would not get pigs if you cannot keep them indoors. It's not fair to them and their best interests need to come before your own.

5. "Thank you, Ly&Pigs, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    334 Rec'd/160 Posts

If your dad doesn't like animals and is so resistant to them being in the house it's unlikely that he'll also be willing to provide them with emergancy vet care, or all the produce they need, or a cage as large as they require, or understand that they need floor time every day for an hour.

While it's a diffecult thing if you can not get your parents on board with the idea of them being in doors AND all of the above I would suggest you hold off getting guinea pigs until you're able to provide your own home for them.

7. "Thank you, JD In Van, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/128 Posts
    Blog Entries

I definitely agree with Ly, it wouldn't be right to adopt pigs if you can't keep them inside.
    If you want your guinea pigs to be safe from your dog you will have to put a lid on their cage, there's not much else you can do.
    I don't have great advice for convincing your parents of something, the only thing I can think of is to tell them that you won't get guinea pigs if they are going to be kept outdoors. To show them that you're committed to providing the best possible care for your pets.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JD In Van View Post
    If your dad doesn't like animals and is so resistant to them being in the house it's unlikely that he'll also be willing to provide them with emergancy vet care, or all the produce they need, or a cage as large as they require, or understand that they need floor time every day for an hour. .
    I am not concerned about these things, as my Mum would willingly do that, she would not want them suffering, and neither would my dad, as I said, he hated dogs, but is completly in love with ours, I know that once I get them, and can prove to him that they are great animals, we would be fine with them. But I don't want to get a pair, without knowing that they can definately be inside (as my mum suggested starting them outside, then bringing them in once dad is used to them.)
    I have a fairly large house, and a perfect space that we don't use, the problem is convincing my dad that they won't effect the house life (noise, smell etc..)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    918 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nonose95 View Post
    I have a fairly large house, and a perfect space that we don't use, the problem is convincing my dad that they won't effect the house life (noise, smell etc..)
    They will definitely change the house life. They are very interactive animals and mine greet me all the time and anytime they hear a bag crinkle they scream like they haven't been fed for days.

I love to watch them. They do have an odor about them, it's nothing disgusting in my oppinion, but they can be odorus at times.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Sorry, I forgot to clarify, I meant noise at night, which would be very minimal inmy house as we shut the door from the living room to the hallway each night before bed. During the day, it does not matter so much. I realise, all animals have a certain 'smell', as long as it is not a bad smell, it would be alright, and of course I would change their bedding as neccessary, to avoid that smell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    334 Rec'd/160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nonose95 View Post
    I am not concerned about these things, as my Mum would willingly do that, she would not want them suffering, and neither would my dad, as I said, he hated dogs, but is completly in love with ours, I know that once I get them, and can prove to him that they are great animals, we would be fine with them. But I don't want to get a pair, without knowing that they can definately be inside (as my mum suggested starting them outside, then bringing them in once dad is used to them.)
    I know I sound like a broken record here but it's absolutely VITAL to the well being of your pets that ALL ADULTS in the house hold are 100% on board with ALL the needs of the animals you bring into the home before you bring them there. This is what responsible pet ownership is about.

You can't bring them home hoping he falls in love with them and changes his mind. You also can't assume that if your mom doesn't have enough sway to convince him to let them in the house she's going to have enough sway to justify a five hundred dollar vet bill for surgery if one gets bladder stones. Or justify them needing vet care at all.

These things need to be agreed upon by everyone they effect BEFORE You adopt a pet. Tricking your father into taking in something he don't understand or want fully or or twisting his arm to get him to give in can back fire in a spectacularly bad way that leads to resentment. And resentment from the decision maker in a house hold impacts the quality of life of a pet. Even if it did work for your dog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts

Usually if you bring money into the picture they will listen, i just mentioned to my parents that an indoor C&C cage would cost less than an outdoor normal cage. Mention the vet bills required for a sick pig which would be common for an outdoor piggie, And how fun they can be, but really make sure you have his attention.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Piggly is I View Post
    Usually if you bring money into the picture they will listen, i just mentioned to my parents that an indoor C&C cage would cost less than an outdoor normal cage. Mention the vet bills required for a sick pig which would be common for an outdoor piggie, And how fun they can be, but really make sure you have his attention.
    Thanks, I sure will suggest this.

JD in Van - I see your point, but my dad would not let them die, he would understand. The whole reason for this was to ask people for advice on convincing him to let them inside, he is not against having them as pets, just having them as pets, inside. He has no problem with me having guinea pigs (as he knows I will take care of them, and mum will help, if needed), he just doesn't want them inside.

User Tag List