Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Getting Along This is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Considering your track record and what happened to your poor pig, yes we are right.

A rescue or shelter would have either not adopted to you or tested your dog first and make sure you knew what you were getting into at least.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

I bought a guinea pig from a petstore.

Everyone flipped! I couldn't change it!!!

Then I have to give it back.

Everyone flips.

It was the best decision I made for her at the time.

I might get banned also,

but they are snobs.
They think they know everything, and they don't.
They treat me like a dirtbag.
They're not always right.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

I bought a guinea pig from a petstore.

Everyone flipped! I couldn't change it!!!

Then I have to give it back.

Everyone flips.

It was the best decision I made for her at the time.

I might get banned also,

but they are snobs.
They treat me like a dirtbag.
They're not always right.

Why would you get banned? You're pigless and leaving, remember?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Sounds like she is trying to flounce.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sounds like she is trying to flounce.

She did in another thread and got impacted for it.

NomNom said:
At least I know animals are a commitment, not a pair of socks to be taken back to the store to get refunded.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Childish people are childish: Tonight at 10:00.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Childish people are childish: Tonight at 10:00.

Not childish, CHILD. If you read her posts, she said she was a very young child, not even old enough to drive. She's acting her age. What she did may have been immature, but so is she.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Well I don't know how old they are but I have seen many mature kids. That's really no excuse.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Not childish, CHILD. If you read her posts, she said she was a very young child, not even old enough to drive. She's acting her age. What she did may have been immature, but so is she.

That's not very good excuse. If she was under twelve, yeah maybe. But someone who is older than that knows difference between right and wrong. I'm a minor and I would like to think I am a very reliable young lady. Of course I still have lots of growing up to do, and I make mistakes just like any other teenager. You can't whitewash like that. No one is entirely mature or entirely immature based on their age.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
That's not very good excuse. If she was under twelve, yeah maybe. But someone who is older than that knows difference between right and wrong. I'm a minor and I would like to think I am a very reliable young lady. Of course I still have lots of growing up to do, and I make mistakes just like any other teenager. You can't whitewash like that. No one is entirely mature or entirely immature based on their age.

Thank you Snow! Most pre-teens/teens are perfectly capable of acting mature. I think there are quite a few of them on here that can talk in a polite and mature manner. I try to.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Snow and GPigsaregret, And I dare say if either of you felt under attack you'd act just as immature as Nomnom did. I reread her thread. She was excited about getting her guinea pig. But people kept trying to get her to adopt another one. She wasn't ready to do that. And obviously she wasn't ready to care for the first one. We have not idea why the pig was returned to the store. Maybe the family situation change. Maybe mom lost her job. Maybe the parents are getting a divorce. Maybe mom got tired of being harassed to adopt another pig when she'd just gotten used to the idea of having one pig in the house.

We don't know how old Nomnom was, but by her own admission she was a very young person. That says to me she probably was under twelve. She probably shouldn't have been here posting at all, but she was. A little compassion in teaching her how to care for her guinea pig and not trying to get her to adopt another one right away might have kept her from rehoming the one she had. It might not have. We will never know. I just know how overwhelming it was at first for me as an adult to care for a guinea pig when I knew nothing about them and I have the finances to do what needs to be done. I can't imagine how hard it must be for a young child to feel pressure to make those choices when I have to then pressure a parent who is unenthusiastic about doing so. They get pressure here to do the right thing and pressure at home that what they are doing is okay. How do they choose?

Snow, just the other day you said you were feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of getting your two. And you are well educated in what to do. Imagine if you'd gotten the pigs first and then came here to ask questions and felt like instead of getting answers you were just getting people telling you that you were doing everything wrong? Would that build up your confidence or make you more overwhelmed? Would you get so overwhelmed that you would eventually rehome your piggies? Because I believe that is what Nomnom did. I believe she got so overwhelmed that she decided to get rid of the pig instead of dealing with the stress of trying to decide what to do next.

No matter what it is sad, because we had a chance to teach someone how to care for a pig in a way that could have made a difference and somehow that pig ended back up at the store. As my teenagers say...FAIL.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They were already intending to get one from another pet store. We only encouraged her to wait til she could adopt.

She was given advice.

As you said, we don't know the full story but from what they posted, it sounded like their dog(s) were not safe around the guinea pigs. I don't know how we could have helped in that scenario unless they needed help building a dog proof cage.

The mother sold the poor pig back to the pet store so end of story.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
I do feel extremely bad for NomNom. Being a minor, she had to obey her mom, and give back the pig and she felt very bad. It is sad how it all ended, but I have to agree there wasn't much she (or I) could have done in her situation. Although, I do feel it was a bit unnecessary for her to blow up about the whole thing.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
I do feel extremely bad for NomNom. Being a minor, she had to obey her mom, and give back the pig and she felt very bad. It is sad how it all ended, but I have to agree there wasn't much she (or I) could have done in her situation. Although, I do feel it was a bit unnecessary for her to blow up about the whole thing.
I think she took out her frustration where she could. Let us all learn from the situation. Hopefully NomNom will learn something from it as well. It's not impossible to dog proof the cage. Lots of owners here have large dogs. But perhaps the dog wasn't well trained enough for the pig to be safe outside the cage either.
You my child show maturity well past your years. :)

chrisandpiggers

Cavy Slave
Would you get so overwhelmed that you would eventually rehome your piggies? Because I believe that is what Nomnom did. I believe she got so overwhelmed that she decided to get rid of the pig instead of dealing with the stress of trying to decide what to do next.
According to NomNom, her parents re-sold her guinea pig against her will.
I believe she got so overwhelmed that she decided to get rid of the pig instead of dealing with the stress of trying to decide what to do next.
If you go back and read NomNom's initial thread, the comments made were friendly and helpful. Several members posted useful links on gp health and where one can go to search for an adoptable.
From reading NomNom's reply's, I didn't interpret he/she was feeling overwhelmed at all. Nom' was thanking people for their advice and links, and stating that she will try to adopt but can't promise that she will.
NomNom then revealed that she no longer had a guinea pig and had sold it make to the pet store. Along with that same post, she thanked us and stated she was leaving. Sound like an overwhelmed Newbie to you? I think not.
Felt I should clarify this as you were accusing us to be the reason why NomNom sold Bella.

I would also like you to know that, as a minor myself, I took great offense to your single-minded opinion that all "very young" people are immature.

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
You have to be 13 or older to post on the forum without parental permission. She did not have to seek that permission. It's also not a really good idea to talk about minor's ages or assume how old a younger member is. Member safety for those under 18 here is a priority. Although some kids do tend to sign up and lie about their birth year but those are usually found out and then permission is then sought from the parent or they are no longer allowed to post.

In any case, what's done is done and if the person no longer has a guinea pig they really have no reason to be here other than to learn for future reference. She stated her intent about leaving the forum so further speculation about her motives really is not necessary.

I think it's pretty much time to let this thread die.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
I would also like you to know that, as a minor myself, I took great offense to your single-minded opinion that all "very young" people are immature.

Please show me where anyone stated that all very young people are immature. I work with young people almost every day in my job. For the most part I find them to be very mature, more so than most of their parents would give them credit for. I work as a substitute teacher, so I work with different ages each day. I am not of the opinion that all young people are immature. I am not of the opinion that Nomnom is immature. I think something happened here that she was not in control of and she lashed out here because maybe she wasn't able to at home.

And out of respect for Ly I will leave it at that. But I could not leave you with the opinion that I think that you or any young person is immature just because of your age. In fact, often it is our youth that act wiser than our older people.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I asked for people to let this thread die but that did not happen. No sense arguing about it anymore.

For the record, FlowersGrandma did NOT call all young people immature. She stated that one particular young member was immature and I think we all realize that from her post on this thread.

I'm now telling you all to let it die. Enough is enough. Failure to heed this directive WILL result in infractions and the thread will be closed.

NomNom

Cavy Slave
Snow and GPigsaregret, And I dare say if either of you felt under attack you'd act just as immature as Nomnom did. I reread her thread. She was excited about getting her guinea pig. But people kept trying to get her to adopt another one. She wasn't ready to do that. And obviously she wasn't ready to care for the first one. We have not idea why the pig was returned to the store. Maybe the family situation change. Maybe mom lost her job. Maybe the parents are getting a divorce. Maybe mom got tired of being harassed to adopt another pig when she'd just gotten used to the idea of having one pig in the house.

We don't know how old Nomnom was, but by her own admission she was a very young person. That says to me she probably was under twelve. She probably shouldn't have been here posting at all, but she was. A little compassion in teaching her how to care for her guinea pig and not trying to get her to adopt another one right away might have kept her from rehoming the one she had. It might not have. We will never know. I just know how overwhelming it was at first for me as an adult to care for a guinea pig when I knew nothing about them and I have the finances to do what needs to be done. I can't imagine how hard it must be for a young child to feel pressure to make those choices when I have to then pressure a parent who is unenthusiastic about doing so. They get pressure here to do the right thing and pressure at home that what they are doing is okay. How do they choose?

Snow, just the other day you said you were feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of getting your two. And you are well educated in what to do. Imagine if you'd gotten the pigs first and then came here to ask questions and felt like instead of getting answers you were just getting people telling you that you were doing everything wrong? Would that build up your confidence or make you more overwhelmed? Would you get so overwhelmed that you would eventually rehome your piggies? Because I believe that is what Nomnom did. I believe she got so overwhelmed that she decided to get rid of the pig instead of dealing with the stress of trying to decide what to do next.

No matter what it is sad, because we had a chance to teach someone how to care for a pig in a way that could have made a difference and somehow that pig ended back up at the store. As my teenagers say...FAIL.

Thank you :)

NomNom

Cavy Slave

Thanks..

I shouldn't have blown up.
I admit it, I was wrong, there's no use in me trying to defend myself. I just felt like I was getting ganged up on, but thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.