Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is using shredded newspapers and flyers okay with pine bedding?

Art Girl

Cavy Slave
Is using shredded newspapers and flyers okay with pine bedding?
Does anyone know if it's safe to mix shredded newspaper and flyers with pine shavings?
Are the dyes safe for my guinea pigs?
How dry should the bedding be (I think it stays drier with just pine, but it's more expensive that way...)?
It's such an economical way for bedding, why don't I see it suggested anywhere?

Thanks!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Not really - it isn't absorbent and some inks/ papers are harmful if ingested.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I would not use fliers. The shiny-type papers aren't absorbant at all. I have used shredded newspaper in a pinch, but, honestly, pine isn't that expensive. If you must, just he plain black-and-white paper is safe, but I don't think it's helpful as far as odor control. I use pine myself, but if money is a real issue, have you looked into fleece? It's an investment up front, but once you've bought it, it's virtually free.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
As others have said, it just gets wet, heavy, and smelly. It's not that absorbent.

Make sure that the pine shavings you are using are kiln dried.

And I second the recommendation for fleece!

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
Non-kiln dried can be used, in a pinch, if you plan WAY ahead. Buy it, open it immediately, and spread it out in a LARGE, well-ventilated container. It'll take a week or two, but when it no longer smells like pine AT ALL(the smell is the oils that cause upper respiratory problems), it's safe to use.

If money is really tight, though, fleece is very economical. It is high maintainence, and I personally did not find it worked well for ME, but it's definitely the most cost-effective bedding out there.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I would use towels or fleece/ towels over non kiln dried shavings. It'd be like using cedar. The way the companies process it isn't the same as just airing them out like that. The phenols are still there.

Molly75

Cavy Slave
Fleece pays for itself in one week, literally, if you get it on sale. Just look at it as buying a bunch of bedding up front, then never having to buy bedding again! It's funny but I don't find fleece high maintenance at all. Sweeping it once a day is easy, washing it twice a week is easy too. For now I have 2 things of fleece with 2 sets of towels for underneath, so when one set goes in the wash, the next set gets put in the cage. But I'm getting 2 piggy bedspreads this week and I can't wait, those pay for themselves (if I compare it to the carefresh I was buying) in about 4 weeks per bedspread.

Just be careful with ANY wood shavings you buy. Both for the fumes AND the fungus problems. Also, if you use shredded paper, make sure to change it VERY often because it's not made to wick moisture away and just sits there soaking wet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.