Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Grease Gland?

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
Okay, I have a new boar, Edward. ( I have a thread on it ). He is my first boar.
Could anybody tell me more about boar's grease gland?
I read the info on Guinea Lynx but it only says how to clean it.

Could I use baby oil to clean it?
How often do I have to clean it?

Edward's grease gland isn't too bad though.

Also, apart from the grease gland, is there anything else I need to know about boars?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Rubbing coconut oil or Dawn helps loosen the build up if it's gunky.

Did you read the impaction page?

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave

frashy

Cavy Slave
Impactions are where the boars muscles weaken and they no longer can pass their softer, ceacel turds. It does not happen in all boars. However, you should still check every often, because they can get small peices of hay and other things stuck up there.

You probably already looked up on on guinealynx, but if not here is the link about it:

https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Ok, so in other words : Its when the poop gets stuck in the boars bum?

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I use mineral oil to clean the anal sac and grease gland (the grease gland is above the anus, where the tail would be if they had one). I do them at the same time once a month. Even if your boar's not having problems with impaction, my vet tells me it's good to clean their anal sack any how because as they get older they often have problems with that.

Instructions for this are on guinealynx too.

lulubird6

Cavy Slave
Hi Laura!
I had quite an adventure with Oscar's grease gland. I tried cleaning it with mineral oil but it just left a nasty oil residue, difficult to remove.

Finally, after scouring both this site and guinealynx, I decided to try the Swarfega degreaser, which is, apparently, some kind of degreaser that mechanics use. Unfortunately, that product is available in Britain, but not here in the US. So I went to the automotive parts store and looked at their degreasers. I purchased the one that looked most "natural" and was non-abrasive. I rubbed a little bit onto his rump, let it sit for a moment, then shampooed it out. It definitely removed his grease, which smelled horrendous. I then dried him with a hair dryer on a cool setting and it cleaned up nicely.

I did use mineral oil to clean out both Felix and Oscar's anal sacs. Ewww. So stinky!:yuck:

Good luck with your boy!

Edited to add: I think that you only need to clean the grease gland on an as-needed basis, if it starts to get gunky. You can definitely smell it and see it, too. Someone on here said maybe about every 6 months or so.

Last edited:

Pulsepoint129

Cavy Slave
I did use mineral oil to clean out both Felix and Oscar's anal sacs. Ewww. So stinky!:yuck:

I thought I was the only one with a duo named Oscar and Felix! Hehe. Sadly, Oscar passed a year ago this past Christmas though. :weepy:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.