Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New Pigges, quick question.

Beefdish

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I got two new piggies, both female. I have the recommended 2x4 size cage, so there's enough room for them.

They seemed to be fine when I first put them in the cage, both of them cuddling together in a hidey house. A few hours later, after they have started to explore their new surroundings, one is wheeking a lot, the other seems fairly quiet. The problem is I've noticed both of them go in to a hidey house and I'd hear squealing coming from them. Before I can get up and get over to the cage, they hear me coming and quiet down. They both, but more often it's the same pig, chase after one another. Is this aggresive, or are they just playing? Anything to be concerned about at all?

Thanks in advance.

Beefdish

Cavy Slave
Okay, I've noticed this squeal slash wheek kind of sound one of them is making a lot of the time, even when nothing's happening. It seems to get much faster if the other pig comes close. Is this normal? I heard them squealing again in one of the pigloo's, and it got higher in pitch etc. They seem to stop if I go over to the cage. I have no idea what they do in the hideyhouse, as they stop when I go over.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I think they might be just playing. If not, then it's probably just a dominance thing that doesn't need to be worried about unless blood is drawn or something.

scarlett

Cavy Slave
I agree with Jazlyn that it's probably the girls figuring out who is the dominant piggie.

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
Agreed with the above posts. No need to separate unless there is blood drawn.
How many hidey-houses do you have?

I'd recommend at least 3 with multiple exits so no one gets backed into it and trapped.
Good luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.