Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General When are Guinea Pigs fully grown?

MrsBunnsy

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I have recently adopted two unwanted Guinea Pigs from some friends of mine. They are about 4-5 months old now and are already too big for the cage they were in. Will they get much bigger? I'm finding it quite hard to get consensus on what age they stop growing.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are fully grown at about 6-12mo of age. Since you say that they are getting too big for their cage, you should look into making a C&C cage. They're great cages and you can expand or shrink them at any time. I currently have a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft and the pigs LOVE it.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Hi !
Welcome to the forum!
I'm from Ireland too!
Between 8 months to one year.

twilightwheek

Cavy Slave
I think like people, all pigs are different. Tabytha Sue went from 1lb when I got her (at over a year old) to 2.5 lbs last vet visit and shes about to be 2 years old. She grew a LOT between May and August of this year, going from 8 inches while fully relaxed & stretched out to 12!

I hope she's done growing though, I can't afford to keep making her cage bigger! :)

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
While I'm new, and don't know much about a growing piggie (both my girls came to me full grown) I can certain say I'm SUPER excited about my C & C cage, and just to give you a little tip, I plan on attaching my smaller cage TO the C&C cage and get not only more use out of it, but giving the piggies more space at the same time!

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
One female of my 4-year-old pigs is 8.5 inches long. Well, she isn't really big and huge, she's just 'special' and there's more to love. :lovestruc

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Generally, pigs are between 9 months to 1 year of age to be considered fully grown.

A 6-8 month old pig is still growing.

Weight gain in older pigs has nothing to do with maturity and when a pig is considered to be fully grown. As it relates to pigs, it's size such as in height and length.

MrsBunnsy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the info and the welcome messages. Unfortunately here in Ireland it's impossible to get cubes and I havent found anywhere that sells coroplast/correx either, so I was going to either build a new cage or buy one. I notice that C&C cages are measured in grids, could someone convert say a 2x4 or 2x6 to inches/cm so that I know what dimensions to build/buy mine.

Rory is already about 8 inches long and Brian is about 7.5 so I'm probably going to have some pretty big piggies.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad someone asked this question! I was curious myself and wanted to make sure that when they started slowing down in growth they would be alright! Thanks!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.