Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Seperate the male from the female & babies?? help!

lmlipari13

Cavy Slave
Our female, Francesca; just had her babies a couple hours ago, there are two of them. Everything went okay with the birth, and they're happy little guys. Question, though. I separated the mom and babies from our male, Major Tom; not because he was being hostile towards the babies but because he has already been mounting the female. Like, right away. Is it okay that I separated them? Because now he's flipping out and I feel bad and I don't want him to inadvertently hurt himself in his little "state", lol.

Any advice?? Please? Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You should have separated the male long before she gave birth actually, and it's quite good that you have them separated now - but it's also possible that she's pregnant again since he was with her right after birth. Hopefully not, but it's possible, and if she is, it's going to be very hard on her body as back-to-back pregnancies can sometimes be fatal. Please don't put the male with her again until one of them is altered. Separate any male babies at 21 days.

lmlipari13

Cavy Slave
I know I was here in the room the entire time when I noticed him start following her around like he wanted to mount her. I really hope I caught him before anything happened because I really don't want her to be pregnant again, especially if it would hurt her, like you said. I didn't know that we had to separate her before she gave birth to them; although I know I took him out of the cage rather quickly after she had them.

Now I feel like a bad mommy :( Thank you for the advice, though. I appreciate it a lot.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Why did you have an unaltered male and female together in the first place?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.