Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Questions about bell peppers.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
What color is best for them?
How small of pieces do I cut them into?
And, how often & how much do I offer them?

Thanks!

Beahbeah

Cavy Slave
Green peppers have the least amount of sugar in them so they are the best in that regard. Give 1/8 of a pepper per pig per day. You can feed them in big chunks or smaller pieces; I break my pigs' peppers into medium-sized chunks because they like to steal the pepper pieces and run into a house and hide while they eat it. With multiple chunks I know that each piggie will get enough pepper.

Cavy Crew

Cavy Slave
I normally give my boys the yellow or green bell pepper because red bell peppers has a high content of sugar, eventhough they have the highest content of vitamin C. I cut them in strips, at least 1/8 of a pepper. I hand feed my boys, to train them, with the command "Yum Yum". You can find more info on bell peppers and many more of their veg in the diet and nutrition info.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It took a long time for my two pigs to eat them. They still leave them until last. Sometimes I give them at floortime so I know they are eating them. Red, they love, but I seldom give them or they expect the red and not green at the next feeding !

What about the pithy stuff inside? I don't eat it so I never offer it. Is it OK and do your pigs eat that part?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
The seeds need to be removed but the inside part that is lighter in color can be fed.

ppqppq

Cavy Slave
What is the problem with the seeds (don't worry, I remove them because Ly says so)? Are orange peppers the same nutrionally as yellow?

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
What is the problem with the seeds (don't worry, I remove them because Ly says so)? Are orange peppers the same nutrionally as yellow?

Orange are similar to Yellow yes. The seeds are a choking hazard.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Is the white part inside the hollow peppers okay to feed? I usually cut most of that part out since I think it's there to hold the seeds together and it looks non-so-tasty.

ppqppq

Cavy Slave
Thanks, my kids often ask guinea pig food questions and sometimes get tired of the answer ' because Ly says so' .

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Thanks, my kids often ask guinea pig food questions and sometimes get tired of the answer ' because Ly says so' .

That answer works just fine for me. :p

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Orange are a little sweeter than yellow and have a bit more sugar but not as much as red. When I did the charts, I did not find nutrition data for orange bell peppers so it was not included.

The seeds in the bell peppers are harder than those in other veggies and can not only present a choking hazard but can potentially get stuck between the teeth.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Orange are a little sweeter than yellow and have a bit more sugar but not as much as red. When I did the charts, I did not find nutrition data for orange bell peppers so it was not included.

The seeds in the bell peppers are harder than those in other veggies and can not only present a choking hazard but can potentially get stuck between the teeth.

Is the white part in the peppers okay to feed?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Kipsie, I answered that question in post #5.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
White is not technically a color, though. :( So I was thinking that way.
Thanks, and sorry.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Thanks guys. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.