Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is this a joke?! The most ridiculous "cage" I've seen in my life!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    127 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Is this a joke?! The most ridiculous "cage" I've seen in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by leyley904 View Post
    The main thing that gets me is that he claims he spent years researching the fact that this 'natural barrier' will keep pigs at bay.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm asking because after seeing what everyone has to say, I am far more understanding, but this fact really makes me mad still.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts

Well I'm done arguing - it's not doing much good. Paula, whatever I say you'll disagree and vise-versa.

leyley904, I'm not too sure either. Although maybe it means they same thing as if you put a human in the same situation. If you put a human on a 10 metre high platform, naturally we wouldn't jump off because we know it's dangerous and we could hurt ourselves. Generally guinea's do have bad depth-perception, although this doesn't seem to be the case with my pigs. They have a platform in their cage that is roughly 5 cm from the ground, but they are still wary when they want to jump off. Maybe this was the case with piggies they used to test their contraption. (Although I prayer to God they didn't test this thing at all.)

Oh, and has anybody else received a reply from the seller?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6,517 Rec'd/2,346 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by .Munchkin. View Post
    Paula, whatever I say you'll disagree and vise-versa.
    If you started making sense, or even being just a little bit fair, I'd find it far easier to agree with you.

Maybe this was the case with piggies they used to test their contraption. (Although I prayer to God they didn't test this thing at all.)
    You see, this is my problem. You're speculating. You're making implications and insinuations. Yet it seems you still haven't given any actual thought to addressing these questions with the seller/designer. I'd think it's the least you could do, given that this thread had essentially become a campaign to bash them based on said speculation.

Oh, and has anybody else received a reply from the seller?
    Nah, you aren't trying to stir the pot at all, are you? Good grief. I will say that given the suspected tone of many posters' emails to this seller, I'd not be expecting a reply any time soon.

4. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," say these 4 members:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/5 Posts

I wrote a polite and lengthy email to the seller, outlining all my concerns and suggesting possible fixes. If all of them were put in place, the piggy "paradise" would be a relatively decent option. Much better than pet store cages, at any rate. I'll let everyone know if I receive a response, and the gist of it. I think that everyone who writes should be polite- ranting and raving does absolutely no good!

6. "Thank you, veganpiggy, for this useful post," say these 5 members:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts

Please stop making assumptions Paula.
    I've already messaged the seller expressing my concerns for their guinea pig home. I was polite and and didn't bash them, just gave them a few ideas on how they can improve the safety of the home and make it more appealing to guinea pig owners.
    I got a response from them a few hours ago, but as you seem pretty committed to keep implying I'm trying to "stir the pot" I'm not going to bother posting it here.
    I wanted to know if others had gotten replies from the seller and compare them to the one I received. The response I was given was different to the one you received, I found that to be interesting.
    I'm simply curious, not attention-seeking.

8. "Thank you, .Munchkin., for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6,517 Rec'd/2,346 Posts

I got a response from them a few hours ago, but as you seem pretty committed to keep implying I'm trying to "stir the pot" I'm not going to bother posting it here.
    By all means, if they gave you permission to post their response, please do so. If they didn't, you're welcome to paraphrase what was said.

It seems you'd want to finally show what greedy and cruel monsters they are now that you've - at long last - gotten a reply from them.

10. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts

I just messaged now asking for permission...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    465 Rec'd/222 Posts

Just from a personal standpoint, I can't believe they managed to get such a product made and are housing guinea pigs in it. There's plenty of medical data floating around about pigs spraining and breaking legs even from relatively short falls. I hope that they're willing to change this monstrosity, but I find it sad that it takes other people finding their product and telling them how easily it could maim or kill a guinea pig in order for them to pursue these changes.

They clearly knew where this site was, since they were able to "rate" the C&C cages on their rather ridiculous scale to make their own cage look better. It's a shame to me that they spent more time trying to build up their cage than they took to use this site and Guinealynx to research actual safety.

Had they not taken the time to compare their cage to C&C cages, I would buy more into the 'poor, sad ignorant cage builder" mentality, but they clearly have internet access, clearly know where the site is, and clearly didn't take the time to learn about pigs before embarking on an inventing spree.

13. "Thank you, Jennicat, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6,517 Rec'd/2,346 Posts

Jennicat, I agree that it doesn't seem they've thought out the safety aspect and that they've missed some other blatant issues. While I certainly don't think their product is ideal, I also don't necessarily think they've done anything with ill intention or mean to cause harm, which had been widely implied.

They clearly knew where this site was, since they were able to "rate" the C&C cages on their rather ridiculous scale to make their own cage look better.
    They're just trying to make their item more appealing than another - this is something commonly done by people/companies trying to promote and sell their own product. By itself it's certainly nothing nefarious. Here, actually is what their website says about C&C cage sizes with regard to the size of living areas:

"C&C Cages have made great progress in this key dimension often reaching 8 sq. ft. or more."

They're minimizing how great a C&C can be, yes, but after all, they aren't trying to promote C&C cages, but their own product instead.

...and clearly didn't take the time to learn about pigs before embarking on an inventing spree.
    I agree completely. But my point is that while they may be uneducated and unmotivated to learn anything better, that doesn't imply that they're inherently cruel, animal abusing monsters that wish to prey on unsuspecting first time guinea pig owners by selling a product they know is faulty. They called their design "extreme" ... Perhaps they want buyers to be impressed with their creativity and ingenuity. And ... well, they failed. But they are willing, so they say, to make changes to create a better, safer product.

15. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    127 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just messaged now asking for permission...
    Did you get a response?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6,517 Rec'd/2,346 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leyley904 View Post
    Did you get a response?
    Not likely, Leyley. As it turns out, the seller, who I'd invited to join here to speak for himself, read through this thread and messaged me this morning, saying, in part, that the ONLY person he's replied to of those who messaged him, is in fact, me. No one else.

So there likely isn't a reply for which permission to share needs to be granted.

18. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," says:

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    127 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hm. Thats interesting. Munchkin, why did you say you got a reply?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    127 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Blog Entries

I sent an email apologizing for seriously overreacting, do you think this is good?:

" I would like to apologize for my previous email. I overreacted. I now realize that you are not the kind of person I originally thought you were. I still would like you to explain this: "Years of research shows that the sides of our platform create a natural barrier that guineas will not want to cross." I know that you did not research for years because guinea pigs WILL jump over, 99% will at least. They are extremely curious animals that have terrible sight and no depth perception. They won't know how far the fall is, and a fall of 1 and a half feet can actually seriously injure or kill a guinea pig.
    While I am sorry for how I went off on you in my last email, I still STRONGLY suggest you hold off on sales of your cage until you make some serious modifications, on the top of that list is walls. While the prospect of a self cleaning cage is really cool, it may make more irresponsible people go to a pet store (I'm pro adoption) and think 'Oh, I can get a self cleaning cage, it won't take much to care for a guinea pig' possible resulting in a neglected guinea pig. I'm not saying that you should change that fact about your cage, but maybe make it more clear that guinea pigs are fragile animals and require a lot of time, whether it be cleaning or just giving love.
    Again I'm very sorry.
    Leyna"
    Last edited by leyley904; 01-23-10 at 10:38 am. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    138 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wigglesgiggles1 View Post
    What genious came up with that idea. They should win an award of some sort, for the worlds most expensive useless cage EVER.

Well now after seeing other replies I feel bad about what I said . I made an assumption and I was wrong. I hope they make their cage better and I wish them the best of luck.

22. "Thank you, wigglesgiggles1, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Fella's Mom View Post
    oops, my bad. I'm sure they get the idea though. really my concern is that they may jump OFF it, while they are ON it because the is no IN it.
    GOOD ONE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by piggy love View Post
    I just wish we could stop animal cruelty completly! This cage is animal cruelty!
    Free Pet Safety Pack
    go to this site to get a get saftey pack which has a sticker for your window saying you have pets inside in case of a fire! You get a monthly newsletter every month! I get these every month and its FREE!
    THANKS!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    918 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Blog Entries

I bleieve you can get a pets inside sticker at any fire department. I would assume that they are free as a public service.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    127 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Blog Entries

I need to get one of those, when I was younger I used to get myself all worked up thinking about what would happen to our pets if there was a fire. I still worry about that though.
    Oops, getting of topic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    465 Rec'd/222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Not likely, Leyley. As it turns out, the seller, who I'd invited to join here to speak for himself, read through this thread and messaged me this morning, saying, in part, that the ONLY person he's replied to of those who messaged him, is in fact, me. No one else.

So there likely isn't a reply for which permission to share needs to be granted.
    Since you're in close contact with this cage person, can you inquire while their website is still selling these cages even though now they clearly know them to be dangerous?

I think we can discuss the general ethics of selling a product for animals while ignorant of that animals needs, but now they have a clear explanation of why the product is dangerous from many people (including yourself). Yet I can still go to their site and purchase one of these metal sheets.

28. "Thank you, Jennicat, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6,517 Rec'd/2,346 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
    Since you're in close contact with this cage person, can you inquire while their website is still selling these cages even though now they clearly know them to be dangerous?
    In the original message (I have received two now, which hardly qualifies as "close contact" - but thank you for presuming and attempting to imply otherwise), it was conveyed that they would suspend sales. The eBay listing has ended and it has not been relisted and at your kind request I've messaged to ask if they mean to also suspend sales on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
    I think we can discuss the general ethics of selling a product for animals while ignorant of that animals needs...
    That's fine, I agree, and would have been fine in the first place if the OP and others weren't making a series of assumptions and acting and commenting on them as though they were fact without hearing from those accused of such things themselves.

And furthermore, an ambiguous discussion of such a situation is all fine and good, but there's no value, at all, of simply starting a thread to trash and bash a person/company without any intention of actually addressing the problem - in a rational way - with the person or persons causing it.

I also strongly suspect that no matter what this seller does or says at this point, there are going to be those folks who still want to complain and whine and moan and discuss ethics of them having done it in the first place. It's human nature.

30. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

User Tag List