Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Fallen in love with a "special" piggy.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

I am seriously considering adopting this pair - they are close enough to me that I could pick them up. I have just ordered 34 grid panels and some connectors off Ebay, so I hope to expand my current piggies' living space and create another C&C in which Carol and Clive could be housed. (I would want to keep them seperate from my current pigs due to Clive's wound.)

What kind of extra care would Clive need?

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Oh, they are gorgeous!
I don't know what kind of extra care you should have, but I had to say it. They are adorable!

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
I've sent an application form expressing my interest. I really hope they allow me to adopt them! I was very pleased to see how extensive the form was, even though it took me ages to fill in. ;)
They ask about your experience, housing, whether you are prepared to pay vet bills etc.

I think I'll cry if I don't get them! Though I'm sure they'll go to a loving home either way.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh they are cute! And I like the names! I would also keep them separate till the wound is healed at least and then see how you feel about putting them all together or not.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh they are cute! And I like the names! I would also keep them separate till the wound is healed at least and then see how you feel about putting them all together or not.

Yep, I plan to keep them seperate anyway. My boars aren't neutered. ;)
I'd like to build a divided cage, that way they can at least talk to each other.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
Oh ... I'm so upset. :weepy:
I got an email from the rescue inviting me to go and meet Carol and Clive so that I can take them home in a few weeks. But when I broke this "wonderful" news to my parents they went mad.

Although I am an adult now, I still live in their house due to health reasons. Me and my piggies share a large room, so I didn't think there would be any problem with me increasing my herd size, since I already have pigs. It's not like it's a completely new and ridiculous thing.

I understand why they don't want me to rescue these pigs (it being their house and all) but my heart is breaking. GPs are my whole life at the moment, which they refuse to understand. When I told them how much I love my cavies they scoffed at me. I am so angry. They told me that I won't be able to look after them for 8 years, which infuriated me. They had 3 children. Did they "get rid of them" when they got bored? No. That's the kind of bond I feel with cavies.

Sorry ... I'm ranting now. But I'm just so upset.

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Don't apologise for being disappointed Jojojo. I know it is not easy to live with parents when you are an adult. What annoys them so much? Are they afraid too many pigs will smell bad? Are they concerned because you're using the washing machine? It seems these are the two primary reasons why people complain about other people's guinea pigs in the same house.

I suppose that you pay for the vet bills and food on your own, so I don't really understand. My father made fun of me when I told him about my pigs, but after more than 2 years, he does not laugh anymore: he knows I am really attached to them and he was the one who comforted me when my first guinea pig passed away.

Are they really saying no or will they let you have them nonetheless? I will keep my fingers crossed and send you a lot of positive thoughts.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
Don't apologise for being disappointed Jojojo. I know it is not easy to live with parents when you are an adult. What annoys them so much? Are they afraid too many pigs will smell bad? Are they concerned because you're using the washing machine? It seems these are the two primary reasons why people complain about other people's guinea pigs in the same house.

I suppose that you pay for the vet bills and food on your own, so I don't really understand. My father made fun of me when I told him about my pigs, but after more than 2 years, he does not laugh anymore: he knows I am really attached to them and he was the one who comforted me when my first guinea pig passed away.

Are they really saying no or will they let you have them nonetheless? I will keep my fingers crossed and send you a lot of positive thoughts.

They are saying no.

Yes, I pay for all their vet bills, food etc. I pay for my own food as well (they mark everything I eat up the reciepts and randomly demand money from me).

I really don't know what their problem is. I think they are worried that they will have to look after them. I even said that, if I have to go away, I will pay somebody else to look after them if they are that worried. But I got the reply.
"What? You're going to pay somebody else to come into our house? Not likely." So they wouldn't allow anybody to look after them for me anyway.

I don't know what to do. My heart is set on these pigs and I can't stop crying.

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Poor Jojojo, I am really sorry for you. Unfortunately, this is their home and they are in their right to do as they please, not that I approve of their attitude. Do you think you can convince them? I don't really see why they are so opposed to it.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
Every time I try to talk about it they tell me to go away. How mature.

snickers

Cavy Slave
I am sorry for your disappointment, they are cute pigs! On the other hand you have to understand where your parents are coming from. Technically you are an adult but you are living under your parents roof and until you move out or until your parents understand you are an adult you have to respect there wishes even though you do pay for there vet bills, food etc. which is a good thing. I was living at home till I was 22 and I had to deal with my parents giving me a hard time about things as well and just came to realize that until I move out I have to live with them everyday and deal with there decisions.
Not trying to be noisy but do you pay rent? If so, maybe you can tell your parents well since I pay rent I think I should be able to get more pigs or something to that effect. Then again they could turn around and still say well this is our house etc. etc. just like a landlord could tell you no animals allowed.
Also who looks after your pigs now when you leave? Do you parents look after them, I can see that maybe then they do not want to care for extra pigs while you are gone even though you say you will pay someone to look after them.
I tend to agree with your parents as having someone random come into there house that they do not know would be very awkard especially when they are home.
Good Luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.