Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight When do pigs stop growing?

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
When do guinea pigs stop growing?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
At around 9 months of age to 1 year.

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
It is estimated that my newest guinea pig, Peach, is 1 year old but she is ALOT smaller than Sugar and Ellie. Sugar and Ellie are around the same size so I'm assuming this is the normal weight and size for guinea pigs. They are about 2 lbs each. Peach is under a pound and she is just smaller.

I'm hoping she's still going to grow, if not I'll always have a little baby in the cage.

soupz

Cavy Slave
One pound? Isn't that something around 450g? I've had my pigs about a month and they are about 4 months old. Just weighed them today and they weigh about 600g... (They might be overweight, I'm not sure) but 1 lb is very little for a year old pig...

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
One pound? Isn't that something around 450g? I've had my pigs about a month and they are about 4 months old. Just weighed them today and they weigh about 600g... (They might be overweight, I'm not sure) but 1 lb is very little for a year old pig...
It said on GuineaLyx ( I think thats have its spelt ) that the normal weight for a full grown sow is 800g :confused:

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
No this is not true really. It says on Guineapiglynx that vet books say that normal sow weights are 800-1000g BUT that this is below norm for well cared for pet cavies.

If your girls are 600g and full grown they're signifigently under weight, you should see a vet and rule out parasites or illness and perhaps ask for some help in a diet plan that will help them gain.

I know sows and boars are slightly off in weights but by 4 months both my boys were over 2lbs and almost at their stable weights.

soupz

Cavy Slave
I have a suggestion, watch them when they are eating. Maybe because Peach is a new pig, the other pigs are bullying her so she doesn't get an equal fair amount of food? Just a thought.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.