0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Blog Entries

Texel piggy Buffy SQUEALS when I trim her fur

Is it normal for pigs to make such a fuss when having their fur trimmed? I am very gentle with my Buffy but she squeals as if I am murdering her when I trim her fur. At first I thought it might be mites but after a vet visit and being treated for mites, 3 consecutive treatments now, she is still doing it.

I parted her fur in places to carefully look at her skin but couldn't see anything wrong with it and even this made her fuss and complain, just the simple act of me parting her hair gently to see the skin!

She is such a placid pig in a lot of ways but she is so grumpy as well I'm wondering if the vet has missed something that is wrong with her or if she is just a grumpy guts who hates being trimmed. She doesn't mind a soft brush or being patted though..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/17 Posts

Re: Texel piggy Buffy SQUEALS when I trim her fur

My sheltie is like this as well. He acts like I'm chopping his legs off.
    I find that distracting him with his favourite veggies gets the job done quicker. And he can't squeal with his mouth full.

Cavy Star
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/3 Posts

Trimming was a problematic thing when I used to have to take care of my texel, Furr. Even the sharpest straight edge scissors would tend to pull her coat each time I went to snip. Furr had very thick and wild curls. Eventually, I tried using a pair of "pinking shears" when I had to trim her. That worked much better.

It didn't eliminate all of the fussing, but it reduce the grooming related tantrums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ohh thank you guys that is such a relief. I really had thought that the problem was that her skin was hurting or something was internally wrong with her.

Yeah, I have gotten brand new scissors as sharp as I could get and they still seemed to pull her fur and upset her. I will look into getting some pinking shears because her coat is just too thick to have long in summer here. I can't wait for winter when I can have her coat longer again and just trim around her bottom. She never minded that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    918 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sebastian is just like that. You would think I was slowly torturing him while I trim his fur. He gets so angry when I go for his bangs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/3 Posts

My Lucy is just like that as well. The last time I had to trim her fur it got so bad that I had to employ one of my roommates to help hold her down. For some reason she wasn't even interested in the veggies I was dangling in front of her face. Methinks she is starting to learn that when I pull the scissors out, that means that she will be getting a trim. She is pretty diva-esque when it comes to grooming, the first time I brought her and Isadora to the vet for a checkup/nail-trimming she squealed so loud that people in the waiting room asked me what kind of animals I had. They thought we were torturing animals inside the exam room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lol oh man Buffy is definitely a diva too. I have never had a longer haired guinea pig before I really thought there was something wrong with her. Hopefully the weather cools down soon and I won't need to trim her as much except for around her bottom. Poor curly girl.

User Tag List