Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Rabbits vs. Guinea Pigs...comparing the two pets

itoshiixhito

Cavy Slave
I know that there are people that do house them together but that doesn't mean that it's right, safe or healthy. This has been discussed numerous of times on here and on other forums I'm a member of and the majority agree that they should not be housed together. Even though the bunny may love the piggie, they do get jumpy and can accidently injure &/or kill the piggie. There's also a bacteria or virus that the buns can carry that is very dangerous to the piggie. (I think it's pasturella but I'm not 100% sure that's the name of it.) Also, pellets are different for each. They both get the same types of hay and most veggies, but the pellets are formulated for each specific species. Therefore, most responsible owners will separate the two.

As JennG said, they have different dietary needs. Also, rabbits can jump or kick and accidentally injure (sometimes fatally) a guinea pig.

They may be "best of friends" but they shouldn't be housed together.

Yes, I can see how it would be a problem.

And it's not that I was an irresponsible owner. I was 9 or 10 at the time so I really didn't know any better.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Yes, I can see how it would be a problem.

And it's not that I was an irresponsible owner. I was 9 or 10 at the time so I really didn't know any better.

At 9-10yrs old, your parents are the responsible ones. And of course if people aren't educated on animal welfare than they don't know any better. My brother had a guinea pig about 10yrs ago and kept him in a small petstore cage. He was fed carrots and iceberg lettuce. He didn't get any hay and I'm sure the pellets were not up to par. It's all about educating others.

itoshiixhito

Cavy Slave
It's all about educating others.

Definitely.

I have a 17-month-old rabbit, and now that I've found a coroplast seller about 30 miles away, I'm currently in the process of gathering the materials to make her 2-story, 15.3 sq ft bunny mansion ❤️

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

JennG

Cavy Slave
Definitely.

I have a 17-month-old rabbit, and now that I've found a coroplast seller about 30 miles away, I'm currently in the process of gathering the materials to make her 2-story, 15.3 sq ft bunny mansion ❤️

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

That's great!!

blondie

Cavy Slave
I rescue both bunnies and piggies and which is better depends on your time, money, energy, and what you are looking for in a pet. My personal pets include 2 guinea pigs and 6 bunnies. I do have more bunnies, but that is not favoritism. Those 6 couldn't be adopted for behavioral/medical problems or old age. ( I have on guy who just turned 9 after beating cancer and numberous cases of head tilt).
I really don't have a preference but in general these are the pros/cons of each:
Rabbits:
pros-
more cuddly/interactive
quieter
more vets are experienced with them
less veggies needed
cons-
chew.....a lot
when they get aggressive, they can do more damage
need a larger, sturdier cage
need more exercise area and time
nails trim more often
Guinea Pigs:
pros-
smaller cage space
tend to bond to another pig easily (rabbits can be a nightmare)
shed less/ less grooming time
cleaner (they poop less and make less mess of their cage bedding)
cons-
more veggies= more cost
more noise
some aren't as cuddly

These are all just generalizations, based on my experience and there are always exceptions to the rule. What it boils down to is if you have the time and energy it takes for a pet. They both take a lot of time and food prep/costs. While the pigs eat less hay they take more veggies and visa versa. The costs and time are overall about the same so do your research before getting a pet and make sure there is a rabbit/cavy savvy vet in your area that you can afford. There may be ones available, but if they cost and arm and a leg that you can't afford, you really shouldn't get the pet.
A great way to "try out" a pet is to foster for a rescue. That way if you find one you like you can adopt it or give it back to the rescue if it proves too much. Good luck!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
This is a very educational thread. I had no idea rabbits had such personality. It seems like it would take even more dedication to have rabbits as pets than piggies. I work hard for my piggies and it is very rewarding. Within two days of having them, even though they were still frightened at the beginning, I could discern very distinct personalities. Now I can see how rabbits, which appear to be even more work, would also be very rewarding pets. Not that I will ever start keeping them--I have my hands full with my two piggies! (although actually I think sometimes about getting a larger herd. I used to be glad to live in a fairly small space - 1250 square feet - but now I want more room for piggies!)

trekkerpig

Cavy Slave
For me, my dwarf lop is a lot more active, friendly and playful. The guinea pigs main interest is eating. I provide my guinea pigs with a large cage and toys but their favourite thing to do still remains.....eating.

Timothy (my rabbit) is gorgeous. He will run around, snuggle his head into my elbow to be petted he gets excited about anything and everything. I really do love him.

However it's your own personal choice. It took a while for Timothy to get used to us. He did bite a bit when he was brand new but now he had settled down extremely well and we all love him.

I'm not saying rabbits are better than guinea pigs but I can tell you they are a lot friendlier!

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend's suitemate had a bunny (I grilled him because he bought it from a petstore) and the bunny seemed like a lot of work. You really have to watch him because he would run really fast and would disappear into nowhere when he had free range. You also have to watch the wires hanging around because the bunny chewed through the wiring of one of the game controllers.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend's suitemate had a bunny (I grilled him because he bought it from a petstore) and the bunny seemed like a lot of work. You really have to watch him because he would run really fast and would disappear into nowhere when he had free range. You also have to watch the wires hanging around because the bunny chewed through the wiring of one of the game controllers.

Sounds so typical of bunnies! Charlee has thankfully not been TOO bad. She has chewed countless windows in her cage - and taken a hole out the side of a spare corflute sheet, I have a few holes in books and she has bitten through a pair of work pants. Apart from that she has been relatively good. You really have to learn the art of bunny proofing!

Charlee has free range of most of my room - except for the area around and under my bed. This is because I have quite a few cords running from by bedside table underneath my bed to the power point. Plus there is quite a bit of junk that she could get up to mischief in, so it is easier to just block off that area.

Apart from the mischief she gets up to, I find her less work. Mainly because she is toilet trained and doesn't go wherever the heck she wants to!

Cubby

Cavy Slave
They shouldn't mix with other rodents. However, often people have mixed them with cats and dogs successfully. Depends on their character. Dogs should never be left unattended with rabbits though, their natural instincts can kick in when you least expect it.

Raising rabbits with kittens and puppies is definately easier. However, dogs like greyhounds, sausage dogs, terriers and other dogs that hunt rabbits/rats are often no good around rabbits. They need the company of their own kind first and for most.

I just wanted to mention that my house is one of those exceptions to the 'often no good with greyhounds':) (I have no clue about the other breeds). We actually foster retired racers and have found that inside, they can get along just fine. I want to stress that they were always inside, supervised, the greyhounds always tested very cat-friendly as we have 3 cats and were then tested with the dog on a leash and the bunny in a cage. So, you obviously can't just plop them in a room together. It is only outside that my greyhounds have ever chased the rabbit (happened by mistake they they got out together). Also, it very much so depends on the personality of the rabbit (a very brave bunny)and the greyhound (not high-prey). Just like with anything else, it depends on the animal. Our group gets a lot of requests for greys 'from the house with the rabbit".

Here is a link to a picture of my rabbit, Cubby, hanging out with the hounds, one a foster and one ours.
greyhounds and cubby on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

bunnyguinea21

Cavy Slave
I like the fact that Rabbits can litter train, although there was a litter under my GP's hay, food and water, so a lot of the poop went into the litter.
Guinea pigs definately bond fast with you and eachother.
They are both adorable when they are happy (binky and popcorn)
The Neuter/Spay thing is expensive.
I think that guinea pigs are alittle more easily happy with space, food and love and Rabbits take a little more patience in the beginning. It took me a long time for my 7 month old lionhead to trust me and she is just now starting to come to me on her own and sniff around.
All in All you need patience for both. I love my rabbits and I loved having guinea pigs. I think GP's are sooo ADORABLE and Fun when they know they are going to eat!!!! :)
Both are very rewarding :)

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to mention that my house is one of those exceptions to the 'often no good with greyhounds':) (I have no clue about the other breeds). We actually foster retired racers and have found that inside, they can get along just fine. I want to stress that they were always inside, supervised, the greyhounds always tested very cat-friendly as we have 3 cats and were then tested with the dog on a leash and the bunny in a cage. So, you obviously can't just plop them in a room together. It is only outside that my greyhounds have ever chased the rabbit (happened by mistake they they got out together). Also, it very much so depends on the personality of the rabbit (a very brave bunny)and the greyhound (not high-prey). Just like with anything else, it depends on the animal. Our group gets a lot of requests for greys 'from the house with the rabbit".

Here is a link to a picture of my rabbit, Cubby, hanging out with the hounds, one a foster and one ours.
greyhounds and cubby on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Heh, I always thought that it was a rabbit toy the greyhound racers would chase around the track. Either that or a squirrel.

Cubby

Cavy Slave
Heh, I always thought that it was a rabbit toy the greyhound racers would chase around the track. Either that or a squirrel.

Hah, yeah I think some race tracks do, so it's a little ironic that the dogs are so good with rabbits. I think the difference lies in the fact that they're indoors. I would never, never let any of my greyhounds out into the yard with cats, rabbits, etc.
Anyways, the point of my original post was that I don't want people to think that because they have guinea pigs or rabbits, they can't adopt a greyhound (although not cat-friendly, hence not rabbit-friendly, dogs do exist just like with any breed). They are laid back, gentle souls, not the high strung, high energy, neurotic creatures many people believe them to be.

Any who, I believe this is getting way from the original intent of this thread. If you or anyone wants to talk about greyhounds, feel free to PM me or start a separate thread. I never tire of talking about my pets.:D

Bathaleph

Cavy Slave
I have a pig and I take care of my friend's bunny for her (she's a bit of a... forgetful working mom).

Some differences I've noticed:

- Pigs are more docile, very unlikely to bite, and easier to handle. Rabbits can break their back kicking if you hold them incorrectly and are generally more fidgety and alot stronger.
- Pigs are talkative, they make adorable noises! Bunnies only make noise when they're angry or hurt (apart from very quiet tooth grinding).
- Pig cages are obviously smaller, although still really big. Bunny cages are huge. You should not plan on letting a house rabbit free range when you first get them. They'll need a big cage when they're not supervised at first.
- Related to the above, bunnies are very destructive. They chew MUCH more than pigs. Chewing and digging are their favorite hobbies (vs. pig sleeping and eating). Rabbits will quickly tear up carpet, peel paint, chew baseboards, wires, books, wood furniture, doors, etc unless you put in the time to train them.
- Pigs are very messy. You can expect to spend either alot of time or alot of money on their bedding. Bunnies only need litter in their litter boxes. They are mostly reliable in their litter training.
- Bunnies are more fun to snuggle with, as they won't pee on you. Goodbye towels! They also tend to be more affectionate. My friend's likes to give kisses and "groom" you. Bunnies are also a bigger, snugglier armful.
- Bunnies need cage mates even more than pigs do.
- Bunnies are more playful. Whereas pigs tend only to play when food or other pigs are involved, bunnies have elaborate games. They like to tease you and play chase. You can see the gears turning in their little heads.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
my friend has a rabbit and she says its not hard to take care of

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
My rabbits are easier to care for than the piggies. In my opinion anyway. I just change out their litter box every day.

I have two dogs that are high prey drive and I have to watch them a cocker and a dach chi x. Everyone else loves the pigs and buns. Of course it could be they love the buns and pigs TOO much. I'm just very careful. No one has ever gotten hurt.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I currently have 5 guinea pigs and 2 buns. I would like to eventually get to the stage of having 2 guinea pigs and 2 buns. I love my guinea pigs and they get looked after really well but they just make so much mess. 2 pigs would be so much easier to look after. But I will not be rehoming anyone, and as my pigs are only young (3 that are 3 yrs old and 2 that are 2 yrs old) they will hopefully be around for many more years yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.