Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rat rescues in [upstate] ny?

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Hey folks.
I'm in the process of putting together a small pet expo and I don't know of any rat rescues in the upstate/ finger lakes region of New York. I know Ratzo Rescue is ****officially permanently closed**** as of '08 so no luck there.
Does anyone know of a rat rescue in upstate New York?

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
The woman who runs Oswego County Guinea Pig Rescue also takes in rats, I'm pretty sure. (broken link removed) Hey, but maybe you know each other, as I see she's listed your Etsy site! (It's where I got our "piggie boyz.")

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Yeah I have been in the snuggle-making business for years, mainly for myself and local rescues. I only just started asking, and Jennifer gladly listed me on her site :) Nice lady. Didn't know she took in rats.
I also just found Mainly Rat Rescue and I guess they have a foster parent in NY? Not sure, I'll have to contact them and find out.
The main reason I'm doing the expo is to get these organizations' names out there; most if not all of them are in dire need of adopters and foster parents and yet we still hear all the time, 'well I bought my animals from a pet store because there are no rescues in my area! D:'

racmhk

Cavy Slave
Mainly Rat rescue also does rattie trains so rats from them are brought to upstate NY frequently. I adpoted two lovely girls from them and I live in upstate NY. I got them when they did transport over the summer. Absolutely love this organization!

snickers

Cavy Slave
Will there be any guinea pig rescues there? When do you plan on having this expo?
Can you please list details when everything is organized, I might be interested in going.
Thanks

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Will there be any guinea pig rescues there? When do you plan on having this expo?
Can you please list details when everything is organized, I might be interested in going.
Thanks

Ditto. Please keep us posted. Might be a fun way to meet up with members of this site, too !

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Oh absolutely, guys. Oswego GP Rescue is likely going to be there. You on the GP cages site will be the first to know all the details, I'll probably be asking those of you in the CNY area to give me a hand with advertising. It's an expo for small animal rescues. I'll post the list of rescues who have been invited to attend once I find it.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
The woman who runs Oswego County Guinea Pig Rescue also takes in rats, I'm pretty sure. (broken link removed) Hey, but maybe you know each other, as I see she's listed your Etsy site! (It's where I got our "piggie boyz.")

I was just reading the ocgpr blogspot and the owner wrote in detail about finding a home for a pig named "Duff" ! How funny ! Hope this does come about as I just love the area. Took our very first trip to Finger Lakes region two years ago and loved it. We've been back again to visit a college student friend going to school at Hobart in Geneva (which we loved) and on to Niagara Falls for our first (and most likely last !) trip there.

snickers

Cavy Slave
I was just reading the ocgpr blogspot and the owner wrote in detail about finding a home for a pig named "Duff" !
Well I would say that is saying something. It must be a calling to adopt it. :)

Ok I will be waiting for the details, hopefully the day is good for me and I can convince my hubby. As I do not like to drive far distances by myself.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
I was just reading the ocgpr blogspot and the owner wrote in detail about finding a home for a pig named "Duff" !
Well I would say that is saying something. It must be a calling to adopt it. :)

Ok I will be waiting for the details, hopefully the day is good for me and I can convince my hubby. As I do not like to drive far distances by myself.
He was just adopted out !! Her blog was most interesting, though. It is tough work running a rescue (of any sort !). Hats off to those dedicated folks.

jjpk8

Cavy Slave
Hi there! Jen from Oswego County Guinea Pig Rescue..I just registered and saw the comments about a rat rescue. I started out taking in rats, but ended up getting overwhelmed by guinea pigs..I'm down to three VERY old rats right now! However, there are a couple places that do rat rescue; one is a girl I got three rats from, named Lauren Geruso. Her e-mail is [email protected], and she is very dedicated to her animals..nice young lady. I have also corresponded with Eleven Eleven Rattery just outside of Binghamton, NY (Endicott, I think?). They have their own website, and are on Petfinder.com as well, under a name I can't seem to remember right now. Anyway, just wanted to pass along that info!

jjpk8

Cavy Slave
Re: Rat rescue/ocgpr/Duff

Hi there..I see someone is interested in adopting Duff..he has actually NOT been adopted yet! He is very much available..I was going to trade him with someone who has a "biter," but she decided to keep her piggie and try to work with him, which is fine with me..but Duff is still available!

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Re: Rat rescue/ocgpr/Duff

Hi there..I see someone is interested in adopting Duff..he has actually NOT been adopted yet! He is very much available..I was going to trade him with someone who has a "biter," but she decided to keep her piggie and try to work with him, which is fine with me..but Duff is still available!

Oh dear, I am the one who mentioned it, but cannot take in a male pig as I have two females. I hope dear Duff finds a good home, though. Perhaps someone here can adopt him. He looks very sweet. ( I commented because of the name, as I go by "Duff" on the boards !

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Hi there! Jen from Oswego County Guinea Pig Rescue
Hey, Jen! This is Donna, who has Kirby and Cletus from your rescue! This site has been the source of most of my information on how to care for the piggie boyz, LOL. Welcome aboard!

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much, Jen! Good to know there are a few rat rescues around here.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I have made some progress with the idea. I definitely want to do it this summer--maybe in mid-late August. Would anyone in the greater Syracuse area be interested in giving me a hand with fundraising and getting the word out?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.