Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppy Pads Pee-Pee Pad MADNESS!!

Scarlettexeyes

Cavy Slave
So, The way I have my bedding set up is pee-pee pads on the bottom, and one layer of fleece on top. Just a little background.

My guinea pigs are obsessed with pulling the fleece up, and eating the pee-pee pad underneath. HOW DO I STOP THIS?! They get plenty of pellet, veggies and hay. Its really annoying, and frustrating.

Another thing is, my cage starts to stink after like, 3 days after a deep cleaning. Should I add another layer of fleece, towels, or what? I've had bad experiences with towels under the fleece in the past being to odorous, so..

ANY SUGGESTIONS?:confused:

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Get rid of the pee-pee pads. Gizzy used to do the same so I took them out cause I am sure there are things in it that she should not be digesting. Her layers in her potty are now double towel with double fleece on top and you are welcome to stick your nose in there but it does not smell however I do change it every three days out of habit.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Mine did the same. I would get rid of it too. Use some towels, it's cheaper and not "edible".

I believe your cage stinks because of the pads. I do a deep clean one a weeka nd it's just fine. It has never smelled.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had far better luck with mattress pads than with towels. The first absorbent layer I made for our cage was towels, and I soon realized that I'd be changing it at least twice a week. A trip to the local charity resale shop netted me several mattress pads for $4 each. I cut them to fit the floors of the cage, cut the fleece about 3 inches larger all the way around, folded the fleece over and sewed it to the mattress pads. The coroplast is the bottom, non-absorbent layer.

It easily lasts a week without changing, and in fact, because our Thanksgiving schedule, we actually went 9 days the last time. No odor at all. It's also very easy to change -- just take the old out and flop the new in, no towel folding required. I made the first set so I can tie it down to prevent burrowing, but so far, I haven't really needed that.

I should say that I change the corner litter boxes about every 3-4 days , and also the pads under the hideys where they sleep.

spiderpig10210

Cavy Slave
My pigs do it too. I would switch to newspaper...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.