Thanks
    Thanks
    171 Rec'd/129 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone volenteer?

I am sure there are many volenteers on here but I would like to know.

For those of you who volenteer where do you volenteer?(shelter, spca, humane society, rescue, ect.)Why do you volenteer?(for fun, for the animals, ect.)

And for those who dont have you ever thought about doing so?, I know I have and I would love to volenteer but am not sure if I am able too.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    335 Rec'd/208 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Re: Does anyone volenteer?

I would love to, but our shelter is many miles away. A friend stopped with towels and such for the cages and they asked if she'd stay and play with the guinea pigs as they needed social time ! I'd love to do it, just not practical for me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    918 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

I volunteered with the local cat rescue in town when I was in High School. It was a good experience. My mom and I would trap cats to get them spayed and neutered and also fostered many kittens. I can't do it anymore because I can't emotionally handle it. I'd be in tears everyday now. I was a little tougher when I was younger. I can only block out so many emotions.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    191 Rec'd/101 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I went to volunteer orientation 2 weeks ago for Animal Services here in Olympia. They're supposed to call me back in 2-3 weeks from orientation date to schedule hands on training so I can begin to volunteer.

Thanks
    Thanks
    334 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Duffinvt> I bet if you volunteered to do foster care or what have you even being far away that would be happy to have you.

Also a lot of the volunteer work that rescues and shelters need too that doesn't even require you to leave your home! Letter writing for advocacy projects, fund raising (we do a LOT of bottle drives for my local rescue) and other such work can be done right out of your house and in your work place.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,544 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Yes, to the tune of about 30 hours a week. I volunteer for a border collie (dog) rescue that's an hour and a half away from me. I started off by helping with transports, then became the intake coordinator for the state, which involves calling shelters about their dogs, and calling back anyone who wants to relinquish their dog to us, answering questions, asking them questions about the dog's background, etc. Then I either evaluate the dog myself, or if it's out of my area, identify someone who's capable of doing so, contact that person, and make arrangements for it to be done. If the dog is approved to come in, I then start contacting people to set up transport. It works for me because I'm able to do a tremendous amount of work for the place without actually having to be there - I feel like their "fairy godmother". We also have "remote" people who do mailings for us, run the web site, scan Petfinder, scan Craigslist, etc. Others volunteer by coordinating events, staffing booths, etc. If there's a group you're interested in helping, contact them - they may have a lot of ideas which don't require you to come in.

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A few years ago a did vonunteer work in a special school in my area. On Thursday afternoons I helped out in various classes and played and worked with the kids. It was incredibly rewarding.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    230 Rec'd/119 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I volunteer at a animal shelter that has cats and dogs.
    Since I'm in school I typically do 6 hours of service a week, and sometimes on the weekends I go for 4 hours.
    I've always wanted to do it, but since I needed community service for my goverment class, I used it as a excuse to go. Now my parent's will take me, but usually my friends' parents drives us.
    I do enjoy it a lot, and I enjoy the dogs the most. I make sure that their cages are clean I take them out to excersise.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    211 Rec'd/125 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightStar View Post
    I volunteer at a animal shelter that has cats and dogs.
    Since I'm in school I typically do 6 hours of service a week, and sometimes on the weekends I go for 4 hours.
    I've always wanted to do it, but since I needed community service for my goverment class, I used it as a excuse to go. Now my parent's will take me, but usually my friends' parents drives us.
    I do enjoy it a lot, and I enjoy the dogs the most. I make sure that their cages are clean I take them out to excersise.
    Of course, because she is my twin, I also volunteer at our local animal shelter. It really is a great experience, even though it is hard. Very often we see dogs especially that come from breeding mills and it is awful. However, we understand how much we are helping each animal, so that counteracts a majority of the sadness. I know that each dog and cat has had a hard life, so I try to remain positive when I am around them so they can have a little fun also. : )

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    171 Rec'd/129 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am going to call my local spca and see if I can volunteer.

They have three male guinea pigs(that I cant have!) 2 rabbits(that I also cant have) 7 dogs(I already have a dog) and a whoping 23 cats!

Thanks
    Thanks
    46 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I volunteer at a wolf sanctuary, it is amazing! They rescue wolves and wolf dogs that have been abandoned or abused. There are currently around 30 wolves (sadly we just lost one Sunday night, she died from old age), 3 panthers, 1 jaguar, 2 foxes, 1 arctic fox and some prairie dogs. Working with the wolves is just an amazing and rewarding thing. They are always so grateful and loveable! I am homeschooled, so I get to go to the sanctuary a couple times a week.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    194 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I have volunteered before and both times I found it a heartwarming experience and a great learning experience.

When I was in high school, I would drive an hour and a half on Saturday and Sunday mornings at 5:00 in the morning to volunteer at the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound. They would bring different types of exotic felines in from zoos so they could breed them away from the oftentimes stressful environment of the zoos in an effort to conserve the species. They also acted as a rescue and my favorite was an ocelot named "Peaches" that was rescued from someone who was keeping her as a pet in their home. My jobs there ranged from cutting up chicken necks and horse meat to giving tours and working in the gift shop. It was a wonderful experience to be so up close to these amazing animals. Although, now, looking back, I am not sure I agree 100% with their mission. On one hand, I think it is important to conserve the species, but on the other hand, I am against breeding any animals for exploitation.

Then, when I was still living back in Orange County, California, I volunteered with the French Bulldog Rescue there. That was a very gratifying experience and I enjoyed going to the dog shows to educate people about rescuing rather that buying a Frenchie in a pet store. You'd be amazed how many people never think about this! Once I even met Linda Blair (from the Exorcist) with her rescue at a dog show and got her autograph!

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just started volunteering at a local dog and cat shelter. Right now, I am starting to learn how to walk the dogs and take them out of the kennels. Next I will be taking classes to learn obedience training to train the dogs and cats. I wanted to do this because I have so much free time to myself (no kids yet) so I might as well use that time to let the animals get a chance to be out of the cage for sometime and enjoy life while they have it, rather than being cooped up in a kennel all day. I also like the fact that the shelter is no kill and takes in other animals from other shelters that have no more room.

User Tag List