Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated (Post-Vet Treatment) Really need advice for Sebastian

Yoshi&Sebastian

Cavy Slave
Friday morning (the 13th), we noticed that Sebby was unusually lethargic, some wheezing, had nose and eye crusties, and would not respond to normal or hand feeding. We thought he had an upper respiratory infection, so we called and were able to get him in to see the vet at 3pm.
Long story short, the vet told us that Sebby was gassy and that they wanted to keep him overnight. He told us that usually pigs with this either get better or they don't make it.

I was already worried enough but this broke my heart. I've had Sebby since he was WAY too young to be sold at the Petland I bought him from. He's 4 years old and he's my baby. I am willing to do ANYTHING it takes to help him get better- money is no option I have 4 guitars, an amp, and a saxophone I can sell along with other things if I need the money.

Anyways, Sebby stayed at the vet overnight.
He was given: (I'm just reading off the bill)
3 Reglan injections
2 Banamine Injections
1 dose of Subcutaneous Fluid
They let me pick him up and take him home Saturday (the 14th) at 1pm.
They sent us home with:
Simethicone Drops
Metronidazole Suspension

The vet told us they had tried giving him Critical Care but he spit out all of it. They said he reacted slightly to seeing some veggies but lost interest when he went to eat them. I'm assuming they got him to eat SOMETHING because the vet described his poops as mucus-y, stringy, and very smelly.

He told us to try syringe feeding him baby food or applesauce. We're also trying to get him to drink water from a syringe, but I guess he's not taking in as much as it seems. He spits some out but we think he's taken in quite a bit. We fed him applesauce (even tried some warmed up) but he hasn't pooped AT ALL since he came home. I'm not sure if he has urinated because it would have dried up before I checked for it, but he would have probably laid in it and he smells of neither urine nor poo- aside from the usual piggie smell.

Sebby did nibble on a piece of printer paper that I jokingly held in front of him [Sebby is known for eating things you usually don't want him to eat] and then he nibbled on a few pieces of hay but I'm not sure what he actually swallowed of that because 2 little pieces of the hay came out of his mouth when he spit out applesauce while we syringe fed him.

I just don't know what to do. All the vets are closed today, so I can't call to ask any questions. I'd take him to the Emergency Clinic but when we took him there for a bite on his ear a while back they charged me $166 to literally put super glue on his ear. I am willing to pay whatever it takes, but the ER Clinic is also not as educated about guinea pigs as I think is necessary in order to exam and treat Sebby.

Please, if you have ANY advice let me know.
I can't lose my Sebby. :'[

-Lauren.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Did they check his teeth or take an x ray?

You shouldn't handfeed baby food only. It will make his gas/bloat worse. Critical Care is best. Or mix it slightly with baby food for flavoring.

Yoshi&Sebastian

Cavy Slave
Did they check his teeth or take an x ray?

You shouldn't handfeed baby food only. It will make his gas/bloat worse. Critical Care is best. Or mix it slightly with baby food for flavoring.

they did check his teeth but no x ray
we'll buy some critical care and try it

Yoshi&Sebastian

Cavy Slave
Ben here-

I'm trying to feed him some Oxbow pellet mash I made from his normal food until we can track down some Critical Care. His vet has it but they're closed today.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
A pellet mash will work for now, it's really important for them to have the fiber to keep things moving. If it's not moving it will ferment and as rabbitsncavyluv already said it will make the bload/gas worse.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Oh no! Poor Sebby. :( I have no advice for you, having never gone through this, but you're all in my thoughts.

Yoshi&Sebastian

Cavy Slave
Ben here again-

He's kind of accepting the pellet mash, but only barely. We put him on a towel with a phone underneath the towel on vibrate mode to try and give him a gentle massage in an attempt to stimulate digestion. Afterwards I picked him up to feed him again (or try to) and noticed he'd pooed a little - it was very mucous-y and almost like a sludge. And stinky. Oh god did it stink. So I think we're moving some of the fermented food out with the syringe-fed pellet mash and the cell phone massage. And I gave him a gentle 10-minute hand massage on his tummy, he didn't complain.

But it got me thinking - humans can absorb liquids, food, medicine, chemicals, etc through their rectum very readily. If he's resisting the syringe drinking can I put a little bit of water in his rear in an attempt to hydrate him? Say, 0.1mL every 30 minutes? Anyone have any experience with this?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
No you can not do that. They have a different digestive system then humans.

I would keep encouraging him to eat. Keep hay right by him incase he wants some.

Did you cross post this on guinealynx by chance?

Yoshi&Sebastian

Cavy Slave
I just posted a duplicate topic there.

I appreciate all the help, it means a lot.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Without all the details, it sounds like Sebby has bloat...just a guess. I've never delt with this issue, hope I never do however, My best advice is to post this topic on Guinea Lynx...they great at getting back to your right away.

Yoshi&Sebastian

Cavy Slave
I appreciate all the replies. We brought him in to a local emergency vet to get him a subcutaneous fluid injection to keep him hydrated overnight until we could get him back to his normal vet when they open tomorrow. Immediately afterward (I think the ER vet might have been rough with him, he seemed very agitated about us being there) he began to seize. They took him into the back room quickly to give him the piggie equivalent of CPR. He passed away a few minutes later while we were still there.

RIP Sebby
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/memory/49514-sebby-guinea-pigbear.html

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for the loss of your Sebby. Know you gave him the very best.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Gosh that's so so sad :-( It's always hard to lose a beloved pet but know that you did everything you could and that he's no longer suffering. He's up there, across the rainbow bridge, along with my Gus, Peppy and Ollie and all the other piggies who have gone before him.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. The joy they bring us is just as strong as the pain when they pass away.

R.I.P sebby may you play in the clover feilds of piggy heaven.

Yoshi&Sebastian

Cavy Slave
Gosh that's so so sad :-( It's always hard to lose a beloved pet but know that you did everything you could and that he's no longer suffering. He's up there, across the rainbow bridge, along with my Gus, Peppy and Ollie and all the other piggies who have gone before him.

He's also with my Nibbles(died when I was 6yrs old) and Rolly(had from age 6 to age 14) :]

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.