Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What should I buy for new guinea pigs

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
wow. That is terrible! I am like, speechless.

kayla07

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean. When I went into their basement to see them, it smelled. And I knew then and there that I would be taking 2 home. My parents wasnt home but they told me I could get one or two piggies, once we found the right ones. You should of seen how they were kept. I almost cried.

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
wow in a basement, I am sure they don't get any attention in there. Would your parents let you take them all to get them new homes? Maybe that's pushing it...

kayla07

Cavy Slave
My parents said that it would be ok. But we have to see what the shelter says.We will also have to make some cages. The only attention they get is when they feed them and when someone comes to buy them which they are only there for a couple mins. I talked to them about there dogs which they also breed along with rats, birds, mice, gerbils, rabbits and so on.

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
So they are breeders, ugh. That is so terrible. Even if you get all the piggies out of there I am sure they will get a hold of some more and breed them. FRUSTRATIONS! Make sure that you tell the shelter of the breeding situation. If the shelter can not do anything about it, call animal services. Animal services will make sure the piggies get to good homes and that those people can never own them again.

kayla07

Cavy Slave
Ok, I will do my best to get them out of there. Thanks for the advice. I know that the shelter has been there this year about one of their pit bulls getting out and killing someones dog. But dont think that they went into the house.

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
Yeah not a problem, its good that you are doing this, just don't feel bad if you can not do everything, no one can and no one expects you too. Just do what you can and save as many as you can. You are doing a very good thing.

kayla07

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I am only 18 but I always wanted to help animals. And piggies are very close to my heart. I know I cant help every animal but if I can help a couple that would make me happy.

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
I have always been the same way. I am about the same age as you, it is always really hard to know when to stop!

kayla07

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Don't forget to baby-proof the cage! :D

Penny

Cavy Slave
all I can say is WOW! how can people do that, it makes me so sad. You are doing a great thing trying to help those piggies. I hope the shelter can help. I wish I could do more too. Thank you for saving those 2 girls and good luck with them. don't over extend yourself it does get costly with more pets. please keep us posted.

kayla07

Cavy Slave
I have been talking to the shelter for a week now and all they tell me is that they cant do anything at this time. I hope more people will call about how they keep their animals and treat them. I am sad that I cant do anything about it. But hopefully more people will turn them in. My girls on the other hand are getting spoiled rotten they get pellets 2 a day and hay is always in their cage. With a full bottle of water at all times. I am glad that I was able to help out 2 of them. Pepper looks like the girl guinea pig from G Force and Coco is a chocolate with white markings.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
Wow good for you for saving them. I rescued a pregnant girl from poor conditions and I love seeing how she blossomed. Do you know if your two are pregnant?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I know it's hard to do and seems counter-intuitive, but the best thing to do in this situation is to not take any of the pigs. When you take them, it enables the breeder to breed more to take their place. It's far better to report them to animal control and not support the breeder. If you decide to get more pigs, please get them from a rescue or shelter instead.

kayla07

Cavy Slave
The guy I got them from said they were with a male. But the vet said that it is to early to tell if they are pregnant or not. Don't worry next time I am going to get my pigges from a shelter or rescue. I am looking at females at my sisters local rescue but so far no females all they have is males. Once I get my cages set up, I am going to adopt 2 males and keep them in a sperate pen.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Hopefully they're not pregnant! If they are, I would wait to adopt more until you know how many babies you have and what genders they are. Good luck with them!

kayla07

Cavy Slave
I hope they are not pregnant but if they are then I will be looking for good homes or I will keep them depending on how many they have(hopefully one each). We are just window shopping at the males that are at my sisters local rescue but not sure we are going to get anymore till we see if there are babies on the way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.