Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Warmth for piggies?

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2009
    Location
    Highley, UK
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Question Warmth for piggies?

    We have recently bought a log cabin / summerhouse for our piggies to be housed in for the winter in a c&c cage and were wondering how to keep them warm. We were thinking of infra-red lamps and i was just wondering if this is a good idea?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Pigaholic Extraordinaire Paula's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 12, 2007
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    6,610
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Thanks
    782
    Thanks
    6,516 Rec'd/2,346 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Could you explain what exactly you mean by a cabin/summerhouse for them to live in?

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave JD In Van's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 25, 2009
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    258
    Thanks
    334 Rec'd/160 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    You mean the cabin is unheated and in the yard or something?

    Piggies need to be housed in your house, their temperature needs are similar to your own.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2009
    Location
    Highley, UK
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    What I mean by cabin / summerhouse is that it is like a shed but the walls are thicker, these building are sometimes used for offices in peoples garden.
    I just wanted to know how to keep it warm - infra red lamps, heater etc.

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave Peggysu's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 03, 2008
    Location
    Beautiful California
    Posts
    2,590
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Thanks
    1,664
    Thanks
    918 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    The best way to keep them warm is to keep them indoors with you so that you know the temperature is constant.

  6. "Thank you, Peggysu, for this useful post," says:


  7. #6
    Pigaholic Extraordinaire Paula's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 12, 2007
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    6,610
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Thanks
    782
    Thanks
    6,516 Rec'd/2,346 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Keeping them in your home is going to be the best for them - would you want to live outside in a shed - no matter how nice it might be? If you won't bring them indoors, make sure to provide plenty of blankets and a heater.

    Do you have any way of keeping it a consistent temperature for them?

  8. #7
    Cavy Slave JD In Van's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 25, 2009
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    258
    Thanks
    334 Rec'd/160 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Quote Originally Posted by theboy View Post
    What I mean by cabin / summerhouse is that it is like a shed but the walls are thicker, these building are sometimes used for offices in peoples garden.
    I just wanted to know how to keep it warm - infra red lamps, heater etc.

    Infra red lamps get too hot where they heat and don't diffuse heat well.

    You need to bring them into your house. Maybe you can take something from your house into the cabin to make room for them if it's so cozy out there.

  9. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2009
    Location
    Highley, UK
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Keeping them in your home is going to be the best for them - would you want to live outside in a shed - no matter how nice it might be? If you won't bring them indoors, make sure to provide plenty of blankets and a heater.

    Do you have any way of keeping it a consistent temperature for them?
    The question that I was asking is a way of keeping them warm.
    We did keep them inside last year but it is just not possible this year.

  10. #9
    Cavy Slave akstrohm's Avatar
    Joined
    May 23, 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    182
    Thanks
    551 Rec'd/367 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Unfortunately there is no good way to keep pigs outdoors, even in a shed. The temperature is not constant enough, and the pigs will get less attention. This means illnesses and other problems will not be caught as quickly, which can be fatal. I hope you can find a way to bring them inside.

  11. #10
    Cavy Slave Biscuit's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 21, 2007
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    82
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/87 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    I have an idea! You could move a blanket and pillows out to the shed yourself. That way you could live out there too and be able to tell if the temperature and conditions were consistent enough for them to be comfortable. That way, they would have security from invaders if the shed doesn't lock. The other benefit is then you could care for them and give them attention while sharing a house with them like pets/family members. If it was too cold for you, you could install a heater just like you have in your home to ensure consistent temperatures.

    I really feel this would work.

    Hope this helps!

  12. "Thank you, Biscuit, for this useful post," say these 9 members:


  13. #11
    Cavy Slave 2pigs2kids's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 13, 2009
    Location
    Somerset, WI
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    51
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/31 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Quote Originally Posted by theboy View Post
    We have recently bought a log cabin / summerhouse for our piggies to be housed in for the winter in a c&c cage and were wondering how to keep them warm. We were thinking of infra-red lamps and i was just wondering if this is a good idea?
    Thanks.
    Why do they need to be moved out of the house for the winter??

  14. #12
    Cavy Slave Heady's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 20, 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    309
    Thanks
    149 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2pigs2kids View Post
    Why do they need to be moved out of the house for the winter??
    I'm curious to know this as well.

    theboy, I'm trying to picture the cabin. My uncle is a carpenter and electrician and he built a "camp" (well, that's what we call it) behind my Grandma's house. It's insulated, has it's own electricity, appliances, is furnished, etc...so it's suitable to actually live in summer/winter. Is it like that? My main concern is, would you be able to stay in the cabin during winter without extras, such as having to sleep with a coat on and what not? I know everyone calls these buildings by different names, which is why I think your cabin may be like my uncle's camp...

  15. #13
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2009
    Location
    Highley, UK
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Quote Originally Posted by akstrohm View Post
    Unfortunately there is no good way to keep pigs outdoors, even in a shed. The temperature is not constant enough, and the pigs will get less attention. This means illnesses and other problems will not be caught as quickly, which can be fatal. I hope you can find a way to bring them inside.
    I will give them lots of attention, visiting them multiple times a day and letting them run about and have lap time. We will install a heater and keep the temperature constant.

  16. #14
    Cavy Slave Biscuit's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 21, 2007
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    82
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/87 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    May I ask where they live the rest of the year?

  17. #15
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2009
    Location
    Highley, UK
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2pigs2kids View Post
    Why do they need to be moved out of the house for the winter??
    They are not being moved out of the house for winter, they live outside whilst it is warm

  18. #16
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2009
    Location
    Highley, UK
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heady View Post
    I'm curious to know this as well.

    theboy, I'm trying to picture the cabin. My uncle is a carpenter and electrician and he built a "camp" (well, that's what we call it) behind my Grandma's house. It's insulated, has it's own electricity, appliances, is furnished, etc...so it's suitable to actually live in summer/winter. Is it like that? My main concern is, would you be able to stay in the cabin during winter without extras, such as having to sleep with a coat on and what not? I know everyone calls these buildings by different names, which is why I think your cabin may be like my uncle's camp...
    I'm sure that I would be able to live out there without a coat on as it will be heated.

  19. #17
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2009
    Location
    Highley, UK
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    My guinea pigs are now in their new home and will have a big C&C cage (2x4) with upper deck.

  20. #18
    Moderator CavyMama's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,789
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    352
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Well despite the fact that you say they will only live out there in the warm months, you can't guarantee there won't be a cold snap. Also, clearly, if you are wondering about how to keep it heated, you are aware that it will indeed be cold at times. How about when it rains or is windy? How about when the temperature climbs to dangerous levels?

    Temperature and weather aside, have you considered local predators? This includes humans who can steal or harm your pigs in other ways.

    It's nice to plan to "visit" them several times a day but life gets busy sometimes and those "plans" can turn into "I'm too busy" very easily.

    Also, as others have said, with them being outdoors, it's easy to miss signs of illness (weight loss, runny discharge, lethargy, etc).

    The best and easiest solution is to house them indoors. If you can't manage that, maybe guinea pigs aren't the pet for you.

  21. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:


  22. #19
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Oct 14, 2009
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    Although I think that everyone's responses to theboy's posts were spot on, I think theboy's question (sans the cabin) is a legitimate one. I keep my piggies inside with me in my apartment, but during the winter time, it does get a little chillier than usual at night and whenever I open the door to come in/go out of my place. I normally wear a sweatshirt in my apartment and am quite comfortable. What would any/all of you suggest as a "sweatshirt" equivalent for a guinea pig?

  23. #20
    Cavy Slave tree_hugger's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 06, 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    9
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/9 Posts

    Re: Warmth for piggies?

    My house gets very cold in the winter (we have slate floors) and in addition to extra cuddle sucks, I plan to buy several of these to put in with the pigs for extra warmth.

    Right now we are in the middle of a heatwave and it is a lot of work keeping everyone cool enough!

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •