Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Warmth for piggies?

theboy

Cavy Slave
We have recently bought a log cabin / summerhouse for our piggies to be housed in for the winter in a c&c cage and were wondering how to keep them warm. We were thinking of infra-red lamps and i was just wondering if this is a good idea?
Thanks.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Could you explain what exactly you mean by a cabin/summerhouse for them to live in?

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
You mean the cabin is unheated and in the yard or something?

Piggies need to be housed in your house, their temperature needs are similar to your own.

theboy

Cavy Slave
What I mean by cabin / summerhouse is that it is like a shed but the walls are thicker, these building are sometimes used for offices in peoples garden.
I just wanted to know how to keep it warm - infra red lamps, heater etc.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
The best way to keep them warm is to keep them indoors with you so that you know the temperature is constant.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Keeping them in your home is going to be the best for them - would you want to live outside in a shed - no matter how nice it might be? If you won't bring them indoors, make sure to provide plenty of blankets and a heater.

Do you have any way of keeping it a consistent temperature for them?

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
What I mean by cabin / summerhouse is that it is like a shed but the walls are thicker, these building are sometimes used for offices in peoples garden.
I just wanted to know how to keep it warm - infra red lamps, heater etc.

Infra red lamps get too hot where they heat and don't diffuse heat well.

You need to bring them into your house. Maybe you can take something from your house into the cabin to make room for them if it's so cozy out there.

theboy

Cavy Slave
Keeping them in your home is going to be the best for them - would you want to live outside in a shed - no matter how nice it might be? If you won't bring them indoors, make sure to provide plenty of blankets and a heater.

Do you have any way of keeping it a consistent temperature for them?

The question that I was asking is a way of keeping them warm.
We did keep them inside last year but it is just not possible this year.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately there is no good way to keep pigs outdoors, even in a shed. The temperature is not constant enough, and the pigs will get less attention. This means illnesses and other problems will not be caught as quickly, which can be fatal. I hope you can find a way to bring them inside.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
I have an idea! You could move a blanket and pillows out to the shed yourself. That way you could live out there too and be able to tell if the temperature and conditions were consistent enough for them to be comfortable. That way, they would have security from invaders if the shed doesn't lock. The other benefit is then you could care for them and give them attention while sharing a house with them like pets/family members. If it was too cold for you, you could install a heater just like you have in your home to ensure consistent temperatures.

I really feel this would work.

Hope this helps!

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave
We have recently bought a log cabin / summerhouse for our piggies to be housed in for the winter in a c&c cage and were wondering how to keep them warm. We were thinking of infra-red lamps and i was just wondering if this is a good idea?
Thanks.
Why do they need to be moved out of the house for the winter??

Heady

Cavy Slave

I'm curious to know this as well.

theboy, I'm trying to picture the cabin. My uncle is a carpenter and electrician and he built a "camp" (well, that's what we call it) behind my Grandma's house. It's insulated, has it's own electricity, appliances, is furnished, etc...so it's suitable to actually live in summer/winter. Is it like that? My main concern is, would you be able to stay in the cabin during winter without extras, such as having to sleep with a coat on and what not? I know everyone calls these buildings by different names, which is why I think your cabin may be like my uncle's camp...

theboy

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately there is no good way to keep pigs outdoors, even in a shed. The temperature is not constant enough, and the pigs will get less attention. This means illnesses and other problems will not be caught as quickly, which can be fatal. I hope you can find a way to bring them inside.

I will give them lots of attention, visiting them multiple times a day and letting them run about and have lap time. We will install a heater and keep the temperature constant.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
May I ask where they live the rest of the year?

theboy

Cavy Slave

They are not being moved out of the house for winter, they live outside whilst it is warm

theboy

Cavy Slave
I'm curious to know this as well.

theboy, I'm trying to picture the cabin. My uncle is a carpenter and electrician and he built a "camp" (well, that's what we call it) behind my Grandma's house. It's insulated, has it's own electricity, appliances, is furnished, etc...so it's suitable to actually live in summer/winter. Is it like that? My main concern is, would you be able to stay in the cabin during winter without extras, such as having to sleep with a coat on and what not? I know everyone calls these buildings by different names, which is why I think your cabin may be like my uncle's camp...

I'm sure that I would be able to live out there without a coat on as it will be heated.

theboy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs are now in their new home and will have a big C&C cage (2x4) with upper deck.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Well despite the fact that you say they will only live out there in the warm months, you can't guarantee there won't be a cold snap. Also, clearly, if you are wondering about how to keep it heated, you are aware that it will indeed be cold at times. How about when it rains or is windy? How about when the temperature climbs to dangerous levels?

Temperature and weather aside, have you considered local predators? This includes humans who can steal or harm your pigs in other ways.

It's nice to plan to "visit" them several times a day but life gets busy sometimes and those "plans" can turn into "I'm too busy" very easily.

Also, as others have said, with them being outdoors, it's easy to miss signs of illness (weight loss, runny discharge, lethargy, etc).

The best and easiest solution is to house them indoors. If you can't manage that, maybe guinea pigs aren't the pet for you.

gilbanne

Cavy Slave
Although I think that everyone's responses to theboy's posts were spot on, I think theboy's question (sans the cabin) is a legitimate one. I keep my piggies inside with me in my apartment, but during the winter time, it does get a little chillier than usual at night and whenever I open the door to come in/go out of my place. I normally wear a sweatshirt in my apartment and am quite comfortable. What would any/all of you suggest as a "sweatshirt" equivalent for a guinea pig?

tree_hugger

Cavy Slave
My house gets very cold in the winter (we have slate floors) and in addition to extra cuddle sucks, I plan to buy several of (broken link removed) to put in with the pigs for extra warmth.

Right now we are in the middle of a heatwave and it is a lot of work keeping everyone cool enough!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.