Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Pups at 3 days - how to introduce foods?

Rubio

Cavy Slave
Our 4 month old piggie Gracie just delivered her pups 3 days ago! We named them Peanut, Pumpkin, Bubbles and Mozy.

Question: At 3 days, should I be trying to "coax" them into eating Cavy Performance pellets, veggies, and hay? They're nursing, but I can't be sure if they're getting enough to eat. The vet said that they'd find it on their own, but I'm a little worried.

Also, we have a 2x4 C&C cage lined with fleece, that connects to an additional 2x2 "kitchen" with Carefresh ultra. The coroplast walls are 6" high in both sections, with a 'cut-out' of only 2 inches between. Across this cut-out, we use a Fiddlestix rainbow-colored bendable hideaway as a 'footbridge'. One of the pups goes over already, but I don't see the others doing so.

What should I do?

Many thanks

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If most aren't going to the kitchen area, then you need to put the food where it's easily accessible to the pups if you aren't doing so already.

Normally by day 3 they should be eating pellets, hay and veggies. You could try rubbing a bit of a veggie on their mouth so they know it's something good. Usually if they see mom eating veggies and hay they know it's ok and will start doing it themselves.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I agree with Ly. I raised 2 litters (one from one of my own pigs,they other was all adopted) and both times all of them just learned on their own time and from the other pigs. Eventually they'll get it. Congrats on the pups by the way!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.