Thread: Pups at 3 days - how to introduce foods?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Pups at 3 days - how to introduce foods?

Our 4 month old piggie Gracie just delivered her pups 3 days ago! We named them Peanut, Pumpkin, Bubbles and Mozy.

Question: At 3 days, should I be trying to "coax" them into eating Cavy Performance pellets, veggies, and hay? They're nursing, but I can't be sure if they're getting enough to eat. The vet said that they'd find it on their own, but I'm a little worried.

Also, we have a 2x4 C&C cage lined with fleece, that connects to an additional 2x2 "kitchen" with Carefresh ultra. The coroplast walls are 6" high in both sections, with a 'cut-out' of only 2 inches between. Across this cut-out, we use a Fiddlestix rainbow-colored bendable hideaway as a 'footbridge'. One of the pups goes over already, but I don't see the others doing so.

What should I do?

Many thanks

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,433 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Pups at 3 days - how to introduce foods?

If most aren't going to the kitchen area, then you need to put the food where it's easily accessible to the pups if you aren't doing so already.

Normally by day 3 they should be eating pellets, hay and veggies. You could try rubbing a bit of a veggie on their mouth so they know it's something good. Usually if they see mom eating veggies and hay they know it's ok and will start doing it themselves.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    150 Rec'd/84 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pups at 3 days - how to introduce foods?

I agree with Ly. I raised 2 litters (one from one of my own pigs,they other was all adopted) and both times all of them just learned on their own time and from the other pigs. Eventually they'll get it. Congrats on the pups by the way!

User Tag List