Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Are Jerusalem Artichokes Okay?

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave
I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere. Can piggies eat Jerusalem Artichokes? These are not anything like regular artichokes, and they are also known as sunroot or sunchoke or earth apple or topinambur. They are the root of a sunflower plant native to the United States. I'm in a co-op (CSA) through a local farm so I get boxes of veggies every week from them and have a ton of these things. Thanks for the help!

azalea

Cavy Slave
That is a really good question. I'm curious now.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The are high in sugars 10g per 100 grams. The phosphorus is much higher than the calcium making it not great to feed often. The ca: p ratio is 0.17:1. You generally want to stick to things that have a higher content of calcium vs. phosphorus otherwise it can lead to phosphate stones and mineral loss of the bones.

They contain very little C content, only 4mg of C per 100 grams.

It could be fed once in a great while (once or twice a month maybe) in tiny portions but it's probably better off not being given due to high sugars, inverse ca: p and barely and C content.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.