Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Noise?

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I mentioned that I hope to adopt guinea pigs and a friend said they are noisy and keep you up at night? What? I know they wheek for food and make daytime noises, but do they really keep you up at night? I think she is confusing them with some other nocturnal pet ! (Hope so !)

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
No they do not keep you up at night. Mine don't anyway.They play around at night (i check in on them before bed time)But in no way do they make loud noises. I think they sleeps in spurts upto 4 hours a day.

luvmycavies

Cavy Slave
Ummm, no..the hamster we had kept us up by the constant wheel running but not the piggies. If you are a really light sleeper you may hear them running around or making a few playful noises but they are not a noisey pet at night. I just take out the bell toys before bed....lol

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
My piggies don't keep me up at night. Every morning I do hear them doing laps as they hit the coroplast.

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Well I beg to differ in this case lol My pigs used to keep me awake when we were sleeping in the same room but only because they made noise with their water bottle and I am a very light sleeper lol

However, you won't hear them at all if you are in a separate room.

PS: I used to have a fish tank in my bedroom but couldn't even keep them there as they used to wake me up while "eating" the stuff at the bottom of the tank :D

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I often sleep on the futon (cause I fall asleep watching TV constantly) which is literally beside the pig's pen and they have never kept me up at night. Sometimes they weack at me in the evening if they notice I'm up and about and their teeth chattering on their bottle can get my attention now and then but very very rarely.

They're actually not nocternal animals but rather their activity time is primarily dawn/dusk (making them pretty ideal for a working person). My boys seem to get up around 530-6 am (cause they know breakfast comes at 630) and are winding down by 8 am. They sleep most of the day and start to perk up in the early afternoon again and stay active till supper then sleep/quiet down for a while and perk up again around 7ish when the living room is busy until about 10 when they settle down finally for most of the night.

Abejorro

Cavy Slave
I would say that most guinea pigs are quite silent at night (except the usual noises with the water bottle, and so), but they may be some few females that make very loud noises when they are in heat.

I've got seven females, and there's just one that make those noises when in heat; it sounds like some kind of very loud bird tweeting. The problem is that she does it at night, and I have to wake up two or three times at around 3 or 4 am (and it's quite difficult to wake me up). When I enter the room I see her completely desperate searching for a male, disturbing her mother and two sisters, and being pushed by them, while Abejorro and Vampiro, who are her brother and father and live next to the girls, with the eyes popping out of their heads... It's quite funny now, but not at night!

What I have to do is take and pet her for half a minute, and then she stops tweeting (maybe for all night, or maybe just for an hour...). Fortunately, the heat is just around each 16 days, and she doesn't do that each time. Also, I've just heard about this behaviour in a single web site, which has got an audio file labeled "If somebody knows what does it want, please, tell me", so it seems it is a rare situation.

I'd say the website with the audio file doesn't have all the info about cavies correct, and I think that in this forum you can't post links to that kind of places, is that right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.