Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Mazuri 5664 looks and ingredients??

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
I'm on week 11 of the wood pellets in my cage, and have no plans to change them any time soon. There is NO odor with wood pellets unless you leave the peed-on hay in there too long.
How large is your cage for you to not smell anything? I'm planning on using the entire 40lb bag on a 2×3 until I start smelling something.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You won't need 40 pounds on a 2x3. I use 40 pounds on a 6x2.5 foot cage. And yours will smell quicker than mine. Bigger is always better when it comes to controlling odor, no matter what bedding you're using.

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
You won't need 40 pounds on a 2x3. I use 40 pounds on a 6x2.5 foot cage. And yours will smell quicker than mine. Bigger is always better when it comes to controlling odor, no matter what bedding you're using.
I don't have as many pigs as you so I'm thinking 40lb will last me a good 2 months before I start rotating plots of soiled pellets with new ones.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have two pigs.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I am with bpatters on the cage not smelling except the peed on hay, I use piles of hay. I use 2 bags of pellets in my cage and mini flakes on top of it, my cage is 3x6. I always try to have 2-3 inches deep of pellets alone before the other bedding. I have also found I can put my hay piles straight on the pellets too.

You will be so happy with the way the pellets work.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Just remember you still will have to do the daily sweep and weekly changes if you use fleece on top of the pellets.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have never tried anything other then Oxbow as I am located in Australia so the other brands are not sold here (even then due to price reasons and the difficulty of getting my vets to order it in every time I need it, as that is the only source I have found for it, I instead have my guinea pigs on a pellet free diet). However I have heard, and looking at the ingredients I agree, that the Mazuri Timothy pellets are an acceptable pellet. They are probably around on par with Oxbow pellets, perhaps maybe a touch behind oxbow, but KMS is definitely better then both (but I can understand with you being located in Canada KMS's shipping being a big factor).

I think they are a touch behind oxbow due to the calcuim but they have probiotics added to them and a few more nice things.

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
Just remember you still will have to do the daily sweep and weekly changes if you use fleece on top of the pellets.
Yes definitely daily sweeps! I can smell odor either on day 2 or day 3 and it bugs me so bad! Im sure the switch will be very pleasant for both Miffs and I. The deep bedding was what I was going for too, thats why I'm going to use the entire 40lb bag for a 2x3. Fleece on top sounds like a great idea as the pellets look hard on a piggie's feet.

FoxOfShadows

Cavy Slave
know its been a couple days since someone commented on this but just wanted to say that if your local feed store or whereever wont order you in the Mazuri you can just buy it directly from Mazuri's website...its what i do cause my feed store wants my to buy 10 bags at a time before they'll get it for me so i order it online

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
know its been a couple days since someone commented on this but just wanted to say that if your local feed store or whereever wont order you in the Mazuri you can just buy it directly from Mazuri's website...its what i do cause my feed store wants my to buy 10 bags at a time before they'll get it for me so i order it online
So far I have found one feed store that sells mazuri... but only in massive 50lb pound bags (bulk)... it wont be finished for years and would become such a waste... theres a distributor near me who only sells wholesale... ugh I just want my 25lb bag! The website has insane shipping so I dont think I can

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.