Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Mazuri 5664 looks and ingredients??

SuperPIG

Cavy Slave
I want to know if the Mazuri 5664 is the same Mazuri pelleted food you would find at petsmart. Because when I went on their website and typed in the brand it showed me the one in Petsmart that I saw. I don't believe that the Mazuri 5664 is the one that comes in the blue package because of the ingredients :

Alfalfa meal, soybean meal, ground oats, ground yellow corn, wheat middlings, animal fat preserved with BHA, cane molasses, dicalcium phosphate, ground wheat, calcium carbonate, dried whey, salt, ascorbic acid, magnesiuam oxide, chlorine chloride, DL-methionic, cholecalciferol, vitamin A acetate, di-alpha tocopheryl acetate, calcium pantothenate, niacin supplement, thiamin mononitrate, cyanocobalamin, calcium propionate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, cobalt carbonate, copper sulfate, ferrous carbonate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, zinc sulfate, zinc oxide.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min.) 18.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 4.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 16.0%, Ash (max.) 9.0%, Ascorbic Acid (min.) 613 mg/lb, Vitamin E (min.) 35 IU/lb.

That's the ingredients and if you Google image Mazuri 5664 it and click on any of the animals then when it directs you to the site just fill in the size and see the picture then go to petsmart online and select small pets and then go to guinea pig then click on food and then you see the exact picture.
Maybe i'm wrong but in other threads people say its okay for piggies to have it... but there are so many horrible ingredients... help me find out the truth:eek:ptimist:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Mazuri 5664 is okay to feed. Other formulas, including the Petsmart one, are not okay.

SuperPIG

Cavy Slave
Okay. thany you : )

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I believe the 5664 is only sold in 25 lbs bags and can only be found at feed-type stores, not in places like Petco or Petsmart.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It is not the same. Ditto the above - I have only seen that formula in 25 or 50 lb bags. Try your feed store or ask someone to special order it if possible. Though my feed store will special order 50 lbs of Oxbow if I ask. You may be better off trying to do that.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This is what the Mazuri 5664 looks like, its not the same as what they sell at PetSmart.

3451365843_b7e18d7ec5.jpg

3452186368_c7d3b90914.jpg

I'm not sure where you found that list, or what its for, but it's not accurate; on their site, there's a ingredient list on this page:
(broken link removed)

It's not the best, but its better than many of the other foods out there.

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The formula sold in Petsmart is the 5E11 formula or another formula. It's not the 5664. There used to be 3 different formula's on the mazuri site now there are two. The ingredients listed for the brand you saw on the PetNotSoSmart page does not match the ingredients list for the 5E11 on the mazuri page. So either they've changed the formula and didn't update it on the PetNotSoSmart site or it's the third formula that I can't find info for now.

The only formula suitable for feeding is the 5664 which is only sold in the 25 lb. bags. It's got corn in it and is alfalfa based but it's better than a lot of the crappy brands out there and it has to be severely limited to no more than 1/8 cup per pig per day in pigs over 6 months.

SuperPIG

Cavy Slave
Wow!! Thank you all... especially for the pictures. Once again thank you!! : )

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
The 5664! Is it timothy based?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The 5664! Is it timothy based?

This is a very old thread, at the time I do not believe Mazuri had a timothy based pellet on the market but they do now. Yes the current timothy based pellet does seem to be the 5664 formulation.

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
This is a very old thread, at the time I do not believe Mazuri had a timothy based pellet on the market but they do now. Yes the current timothy based pellet does seem to be the 5664 formulation.
Thank you so much for replying despite how old this thread is, I really wanted information on this as the online pictures of mazuri pellets all state "timothy based" on the packaging! I know this might be difficult to answer, but how would you rate this new timothy 5664 pellet if you have tried it? Im really hoping the main ingredient is indeed timothy and that calcium would be lower than some other brands out there. I would love to put my pigs on kms (im in canada and the shipping would crush me) or oxbow (I will put my pig on this when she is 6-7 months of age), but for right now I am interested in trying out different brands. Thanks again.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I have never tried anything other then Oxbow as I am located in Australia so the other brands are not sold here (even then due to price reasons and the difficulty of getting my vets to order it in every time I need it, as that is the only source I have found for it, I instead have my guinea pigs on a pellet free diet). However I have heard, and looking at the ingredients I agree, that the Mazuri Timothy pellets are an acceptable pellet. They are probably around on par with Oxbow pellets, perhaps maybe a touch behind oxbow, but KMS is definitely better then both (but I can understand with you being located in Canada KMS's shipping being a big factor).

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
I have never tried anything other then Oxbow as I am located in Australia so the other brands are not sold here (even then due to price reasons and the difficulty of getting my vets to order it in every time I need it, as that is the only source I have found for it, I instead have my guinea pigs on a pellet free diet). However I have heard, and looking at the ingredients I agree, that the Mazuri Timothy pellets are an acceptable pellet. They are probably around on par with Oxbow pellets, perhaps maybe a touch behind oxbow, but KMS is definitely better then both (but I can understand with you being located in Canada KMS's shipping being a big factor).
It feels reassuring to know that they're quality pellets! Oxbow here is one of the most expensive pellets around in pet stores, while there are 10's of cheaper (but unreliable) alternatives. I didn't know oxbow was the only in Australia, haha learn something everyday!

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer

VetaFarm Cavy Life Origins is also okay to feed, I've tried it with my guys (though they all get Oxbow as their staple pellet, 1tbsp each a day) and they seemed to like it just fine. There is also a feed manufacturer (cannot remember the name for the life of me) but they are (in conjunction with cavy clubs and rescues) developing a Guinea Pig food and should be sending out sample bags in a few months hopefully. So we've got two...potentially three okay-ish options! :/

I get Oxbow through my local vet and it's $20.23 for a 5lb bag. It's the ONLY size available in Australia. Wish they'd get the bigger ones as I'd totally buy it to save money (7 pigs, despite the 1tbsp each a day thing it still goes fast). Even the Oxbow distributor sells it online for $28 (plus shipping). It's so frustrating!

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
VetaFarm Cavy Life Origins is also okay to feed, I've tried it with my guys (though they all get Oxbow as their staple pellet, 1tbsp each a day) and they seemed to like it just fine. There is also a feed manufacturer (cannot remember the name for the life of me) but they are (in conjunction with cavy clubs and rescues) developing a Guinea Pig food and should be sending out sample bags in a few months hopefully. So we've got two...potentially three okay-ish options! :/

I get Oxbow through my local vet and it's $20.23 for a 5lb bag. It's the ONLY size available in Australia. Wish they'd get the bigger ones as I'd totally buy it to save money (7 pigs, despite the 1tbsp each a day thing it still goes fast). Even the Oxbow distributor sells it online for $28 (plus shipping). It's so frustrating!
It's usually 14.99 here in stores for oxbow and online for the 5lb, not sure if it equates to your rates since mine's in CDN. I wish it werent so pricey, especially when compared to KMS which are very reasonably priced (minus shipping)

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
I don't know how widely these are available, but I think they should be available in Canada

(broken link removed)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I have looked at the Cavy Life Origins before but decided against trying it as the second ingredient is lucerne, which is another name for alfalfa hay, and I can't find any values for the amount of calcium in the pellets. However it is certainly one of the best pellets available in Australia, which isn't saying much considering probably 80% of pellets are either those horrible seed mixes or have no hay contained within them at all.

Also that is a very similar price my vets could get the 5lb bag of oxbow for (I think it was maybe $22 but I live in SA), but considering I at the time had 20 guinea pigs (I have 16 now) and sometimes it would take them 2 or 3 weeks to actually get the pellets sent to them I decided to just try pellet free as it wouldn't cost much more as I already had an ample supply of a wide variety of veg from my garden.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I buy the 25 pound bag of the 5664, it is Timothy based, my pigs love it. I get it at the feed store by me where I get their horse stall wood pellets.

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
I buy the 25 pound bag of the 5664, it is Timothy based, my pigs love it. I get it at the feed store by me where I get their horse stall wood pellets.
Ah I'm switching to wood pellets as well! Do you use it on the entire cage or just the potty corners? how is odor control and how often do you have to change it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm on week 11 of the wood pellets in my cage, and have no plans to change them any time soon. There is NO odor with wood pellets unless you leave the peed-on hay in there too long.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.