Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet My piggies have stopped eating some of their regular veggies.

piggiecompanion

Cavy Slave
For some reason my pigs have stopped eating some of their food. ( 2-sows 3yrs old.) this is what they have stopped eating each day combined; 1/4 peppers, 4 baby carrots, 6 slices of cucumbers and 1/4 sliced & chopped celery. This is what they are still eating each day combined; 3 cups of spring mix lettuce, few sprigs of parsley, few sprigs cilantro, 1/4 cup spinach, Timothy cavy performance pellets, ( 1/2 C.), all the grass hay they want and are still drinking water. weight has not changed yet. I have read all the nutritional guide lines by Lye. I'm wondering if they can get tired of the same vegetables or if some thing could be wrong?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
For some reason my pigs have stopped eating some of their food. ( 2-sows 3yrs old.) this is what they have stopped eating each day combined; 1/4 peppers, 4 baby carrots, 6 slices of cucumbers and 1/4 sliced & chopped celery. This is what they are still eating each day combined; 3 cups of spring mix lettuce, few sprigs of parsley, few sprigs cilantro, 1/4 cup spinach, Timothy cavy performance pellets, ( 1/2 C.), all the grass hay they want and are still drinking water. weight has not changed yet. I have read all the nutritional guide lines by Lye. I'm wondering if they can get tired of the same vegetables or if some thing could be wrong?

Spinach, parsley, celery and cucumber shouldn't be fed daily, also four baby carrots is a lot to give in one day. You can cut spinach out of the diet as they don't really need it and it can contribute to stones. They can have more then just a few sprigs of cilantro, it's something that be fed daily and they be given quite a bit. Are you providing unlimited pellets? If so, they should be limited to 1/8 to a 1/4 cup per pig a day.

It seems like they need a little bit more variety of veggies.

I would weigh them maybe twice a week to make sure that they don't lose any weight incase this is a sign that they may both be sick.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They're 3 years old and you're feeding Cavy Performance?

Do you mean Cavy Cuisine? They should have timothy pellets at that age, not alfalfa ones.

It's been terrible hot lately. Make sure they are staying cool. Heat can make them stop eating. Have they lost weight?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have read all the nutritional guide lines by Lye. I'm wondering if they can get tired of the same vegetables or if some thing could be wrong?
If you've read my charts then you should know that many of the things you are feeding are very unsuitable for daily use. Baby carrots need to be limited to no more than one per pig per day as they are low in nutrition and high in oxalic acid. Carrots are more of a treat type veggie.

Cucumbers and celery no more than every 2-3 days. Parsley no more than 2-3 times a week. Spinach is through the roof in oxalic acid and vitamin A, if you want to feed no more than 1-2 times per week in tiny amounts. But in my opinion, spinach is better left completely out of the diet.

Pigs can get bored of the same veggies all the time. That's partly why variety is the key to a good veggie diet.

And I am Ly by the way, not Lye.

piggiecompanion

Cavy Slave
Well it's been a while since I've read, what I thought I knew! I guess I need to re-evaluate what I'm feeding them. Thank you for the advice. Sorry Ly about the Lye.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave

Popcorn's pet

Cavy Slave
My two pigs are picky and if they don't like a veggie or are bored with it, then they won't eat it. They snubbed asparagus yesterday.

When I first got Popcorn, he would eat anything as soon as it was put in his cage, but over the years as he is exposed to more variety he definitely has his likes and dislikes. I take it as a sign that he knows that he is loved and will always have fresh veggies to eat, so he does not have to scarf down the less appetizing meals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.