Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My pigs new hooded cozy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Ill order one from you. Number 2 is fine. This will fit one large adult sized guinea pig comfortably? If so send me a bill thru paypal. Email is [email protected]. Just email me at [email protected] to confirm that you went ahead and billed me.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes, the regular size is 12" from side to side and 9" from front to back. They fit my full size pig quite comfortably. Pennick can you just send me a payment through paypal, I don't have anything set up for billing yet, I haven't had time due to sewing and getting orders out plus my mom is in the hospital. The total will be $12.00 for the cavy cave and shipping.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Here are the new fabrics I have.

Flannel

Cotton

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Pennick, yours will look like this but in regular size. The one pictured is in supersize.

Also here is another cavy cave I did the other day that is navy blue fleece and denim. I think it's really cute.

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
One thing with poly fiber fill is it tends to get lumpy with repeated washing. I made futon mattresses for piggies futons basically a rectangle of cotton fabric stuffed with the fiber fill. After about 3 moths of washing I had to stop using them and made mattresses with layers of poly batting instead which held up much better to repeated washing; Over a year now and still holding up with no lumps. The good thing is that there should be little price difference.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Its perfect, thanks

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
Hey all I'm saying is be careful with the poly fiber filling. If this is something that is going to get repeated washing, there may be a problem down the line. My mattresses were well used and loved and over 12 weeks became unusable. Hense i changes over to batting.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I am aware of the filling problem. I have a few pillows for my piggies that I wash and the filling gets squashed into one end. I have to try squashing it back. Its never the same as brand new but its ok so far. You can always wash them gently by hand. That would probably be better anyhow. I just like having a whole bunch of hidey houses for them so i can change them every week. They love new houses.

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
Hand washing will more likely be better. My mattress's were machine washed and tumble dried and no matter how hard I tried that filling would bunch up and never lay flat. As I said it took about 3 monthes before it got to the point where it was too lumpy to use. (i.e. big wads of matted, lumpy filling).

pennick

Cavy Slave
Furkidsmommy said:
Hand washing will more likely be better. My mattress's were machine washed and tumble dried and no matter how hard I tried that filling would bunch up and never lay flat. As I said it took about 3 monthes before it got to the point where it was too lumpy to use. (i.e. big wads of matted, lumpy filling).
laughing here. I'm the type that will worry about it in 3 months. So I'll get another. -)

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
Yeah you should have seasonal beds; you could change them with the decor in the home. Heavy fabrics, darker colors in the winter, lighter airy fabrics for the summer. Ohh and Christmas and holiday prints. Now that’s an idea.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
It's a long way until Christmas but I will have holiday ones starting probably in October or November. I will check into batting vs. poly-fil. It seems though that unless I tack the batting down to each corner it would do the same thing as the poly-fil. I have been using lightweight flannel and cottons for summer. I use fleece on the top part of the cushion and as 2 side panels. For winter, I will use heavier flannel. I thought about seasonal ones ahead of time. I found some adorable valentines day fabric but it's past valentines day already. I will probably buy some and put it away for next year. It someone wanted an Easter print fabric, I can do that still.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Ly&Piggs, people love their piggies year round, so I am sure the Valentines print would be fine, unless it said happy valentines day or something! :)

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I would like one but could you post a picture of what the baby blue fleece just so i can see what it looks like. If not it is ok. I will post what fabric I would like. I have to ask my mom first.

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
Hey ly Do you have a (broken link removed)fabric store near you? They have some great sales and you may be able to stock up on some bargain fabrics. Also a (broken link removed) near me is having a "truckload sale" and they have fleece plain and some nice patterns for $3.99 a yard.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
No Jo-Ann's or Hancock fabrics anywhere within a couple hours distance. Basically I have Wal-Mart and a locally owned quilting shop that carries different fabrics.

I don't have any baby blue fleece here. It's one of the fleece colors I haven't purchased yet. It's just plain baby blue fleece.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
Ok thankyou! I am going to ask my mom tonight and I will post the fabric choices later.

CactusCavy

Cavy Slave
Ooh, Ly! I love your idea! That's just great! I asked my mom just now, and she said YES!!!

Now I've got to figure out all the ordering-stuff with my mom... (She's on the board, by the way--she's DesertLily... We have a theme, LOL)

~Cactus

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
If she has paypal then she can pay me that way. If not then when your ready to order I will give you my address to send a money order to.

honeysmum

Cavy Slave
Love your cave idea Ly! I have just made two cozies using quilted placemats - just sew up one short end and one long side to turn into a cosy tube - easey to machine wash too!

Status
Not open for further replies.