Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Buying pigs in petstores

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
Doubtful.

Does this store make the owner sign an adoption contract? Does it do any kind of screening to potential adopters/buyers? If the answers to those questions is no, you bought your first guinea pig.

I don't agree, I adopted all three of my pigs, two from an RSPCA shelter where the woman took in any unwanted pigs, nursed them to health and passed them on again but I did not have to sign an agreement neither was asked about the care I would provide. My third pig was adopted from the adoption center (they cal it that) at my local pet shop- they take it unwanted small animals, quarantine them for three weeks then adopt them out, I had to sign an adoption agreement but wasn't asked about my care skills. In all three cases it was a case of hand over a tenner and get a pig, but I still adopted them.

Last edited by a moderator:

frillint

Cavy Slave
I do agree with adopting piggys from humane societies. That is where I got my Bella after a terrible experience with my 1st guinea pig that I bought from petsmart. I to signed an adopting paper, but wasn't asked any questions, but I also would like to say it everyone adopts from everywhere else what happens to the piggys in the pet stores. Are they not important just because they are in a pet store. They can't help where they live or how they are taken care of. I understand that buying piggys or any pet from a pet store is just promoting them to getting more, but what about the animal. Don't they deserve a good home to??

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Sekhmet, your post reminded me of when I used to go visit the pigs at Petco too. There were a few times when I noticed right away that one or more had discharge from their eyes and noses. I had to go alert the employees to what they should have noticed. It didn't take me more than 1 minute to see that something wasn't right with the pigs. It's hard for me to believe that people who feed the animals and clean out the cages, wouldn't notice the discharge and the lethargic pigs.

I stuck around to see what they would do about this situation. They took him to the back room and talked to someone on the phone at the vet's office but said that the vet wouldn't come for 2 days.

This pig was in bad shape and needed medical attention immediately. Eyes were half shut, crusty discharge around the eyes and nose, labored breathing. There were 3 other pigs in the same cage so I'll bet they were on their way to being in the same condition.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
I found my piggies on Pet finder and adopted them out! Originally I was going to buy from a pet store if only because I checked our local shelter and there wasn't any cavies. I then decided to look online and found the two that I have adopted today. I don't condemn those who buy from a pet store though. I think most people just don't under stand the problem with pet store animals. Or the huge over population of animals in general. I have gotten all of my animals through adoption and loved everyone! If you did buy from a pet store I don't think we should chide them soo badly. They then will only see adoption as a negative. If you do plan on getting more cavies in the future you now know about adoption! I asked around my local shelter to see if they knew any small animal rescues in my area. It was about an hours drive but worth it.
My point: If you did buy from a pet store just make an greater effort the next time you think about getting an animal to think adoption. Saving any animal is worth it :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am closing this thread as people don't seem to be able to read the directives for this thread and come onto the thread posting their excuses and arguments on why they feel petstore pigs are ok to buy.

If anyone would like to contribute further to this thread, please private message me with your response and if it falls in line to what this thread stands for and is about, I will open it so you can post your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.