Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: I am building an outdoor guinea pig hutch.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator! VoodooJoint's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3,251 Rec'd/801 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: I am building an outdoor guinea pig hutch.

I forgot to add:

Please look at this post http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/407689-post39.html in there are links to pictures of wild guinea pigs (hopefully they still work). Please note how extremely different they are from what we care for as pets. The animals in our care are not wild, are nothing like their wild cousins and do not have the same tolerances and instincts as their wild cousins.

Even if they did, as I've said before, wild guinea pigs only have an average lifespan of about 1 year. That is what is natural and normal for them. Is that acceptable for your pets?
    Last edited by VoodooJoint; 09-11-09 at 08:57 am.
    Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You can't let the world judge you too much.

Maude from Harold and Maude

2. "Thank you, VoodooJoint, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just because they're outside doesn't mean they're not part of your family, my family spend 80 % of our time outside, with only 20% for sleeping. Just because they are in an outside cage does not mean that you're not going to get them out and handle them, thats all just assumptions. Mine get 1 hour floor time in the morning and 1 hour in the evening on weekends and days off school, and 2 hours in the evening if i am at school. I'm with them during all their floor time, and my parents often join me.

Just because they live outside doesn't mean they don't go inside at all. I often watch movies with mine in my bedroom or even just sit reading a book while stroking them.

Ziggy and Iggy also have long haired coats, i don't leave them and let it get all matted because they live outside, i spend the time to groom them daily, yet another team building experience.

wild guinea pigs only have an average lifespan of about 1 year.
    Those wild guinea pigs didn't have safe housing and devoted owners and a dog willing to protect them. The ones i have living outside do have all these things and have been prospering.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow definately an interesting thread. What works for one does not work for all & vice versa. Obviously piggies can adapt to situations and be housed differently. Of course each individual has their own values on which way of life is acceptable. Basically it is the same as allowing a dog or cat to live outside 24/7. See, I own 3 dogs and suprisingly enough I would NEVER allow them to live an outdoor life. I also own a barn (with three horses) we have 4 barn cats that are allowed to come into the house for short periods-but they mainly live outdoors. I am ok with them living outdoors and feel that they are safe because they have the garage, barn and "cat sense" to take care of them. My kitties are 7 and 6 years of age and (knock on wood) are very healthy happy kitties that have been with us since they were kittens.

My point--I know MANY people who are outraged at the thought of outdoor cats. I also know MANY people who would never let their dogs in the house. Who is to say? What works for one will not work for everyone.

Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mariaelise View Post
    I love guinea pigs, and I have done a lot of research on them. And no guinea pig owner sits there inside giving their piggies attention for hours on end every day. That's the truth.
    I work full time and I spend hours each day with my guineas. When I get home from work they have my full attention and are tickeled / cuddled / offered food / cleaned out from 6 to 11pm.

I love the weekends for giving me even more time with them. Please do not underestimate the level of attention indoor piggies get. In our home they are at the centre of our household and located as such.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    39 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mariaelise View Post

I love guinea pigs, and I have done a lot of research on them. And no guinea pig owner sits there inside giving their piggies attention for hours on end every day. That's the truth.
    I find that offensive. Mostly because what is wrong with spending hours with my pigs? They sit in my room, and like another member said here, they watch TV with me and watch me with my everyday activities. I kiss them before I go to work and snuggle with them before bed. I could not even imagine sending my pigs outside. I didn't even like having my 100lbs black lab outside at night! Why would I let my 2 lbs pig be outside for a long period of time.
    Also if you did research then why is outside the best option you could find? I live in a "good" neighborhood and I could never trust that my pigs couldn't get stolen or worse escape or get loose.
    I know you think you are doing what is right, and the vet saying that it is going to be ok makes you feel empowered but would you sleep outside? I mean, we could spend our whole lives outside. I mean we are descended from apes and they live outside so we could do it right?
    If you love your animals you wouldn't let them stay outside like that, especially ones who are so helpless. At least a dog has size(sometimes) and teeth, cats too. Rabbits and pigs are so vulnerable to both the weather and the hazards or wild and domesticated animals.
    Oh and the American thing....I'll let that slide.
    Ok that is my 2 cents.

7. "Thank you, PiggyKat, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I live in Durban South Africa.

It is a pretty hot and humid place. When I first got my piggies I kept them inside due to recommendations on this site and others. When I had arrived home after work one day, I realised the pigs had overheated from being in my flat on an average Durban hot day. I thought they had died!

I now keep them outside on my patio. It is a 2nd floor apartment and well sheltered. They have been there for a year. They seem to be very happy, popcorning and relaxing and wheaking at mealtimes etc etc etc. They have bricks in their cage that they love to lay on in the heat of the day.

Our place is small enough with glass sliding doors so whilst watching TV I talk and whistle to them and they look at me through the glass and wheak back.

It all depends on you situation.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,516 Rec'd/2,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigs4us View Post
    Wow definately an interesting thread. What works for one does not work for all & vice versa. Obviously piggies can adapt to situations and be housed differently.
    No one's disputed that they can live outside. It's a matter of whether or not they should. Animals that live outside face a wide variety of threats that their indoor counterparts never even know about. There are predators to threaten them; there's the weather that no matter where you live can change quite quickly and quite drastically as well. There's also the fact that animals that live outside tend not to get the same level of attention and care as those who live inside and for that reason, illnesses tend not to be noticed until the situation is dire and isn't as easily remedied because it wasn't caught early enough, whereas an attendant owner who kept his pets inside would likely have noticed long before it progressed too far.

Of course each individual has their own values on which way of life is acceptable.
    It's less an individual's "own values" than it is what an individual is willing to do - or not do - for his own convenience. In the time I've been here I've seen one, a single one outdoor environment that's come close to approaching adequacy. And in that case the owner had spent countless hours making it predator safe, making sure her pigs were protected from the elements, etc. Most owners who want them housed outside rather than in aren't willing to do the work it would take to making an outdoor environment safe and healthy. In most cases, it's not possible to make an outdoor home appropriate and certainly the chicken wire pen you described in a previous post doesn't qualify.

Basically it is the same as allowing a dog or cat to live outside 24/7. See, I own 3 dogs and suprisingly enough I would NEVER allow them to live an outdoor life.
    Why are your dogs deserving of a safe, healthy home environment while you don't feel your cats or guinea pigs are? Do you understand that outdoor cats live drastically shorter lives than those that live inside?

I also own a barn (with three horses) we have 4 barn cats that are allowed to come into the house for short periods-but they mainly live outdoors. I am ok with them living outdoors and feel that they are safe because they have the garage, barn and "cat sense" to take care of them. My kitties are 7 and 6 years of age and (knock on wood) are very healthy happy kitties that have been with us since they were kittens.
    You're likely "okay" with them living outdoors because it's what's easiest and most convenient for you and because you've been able to convince yourself it's healthy and safe for them because of their "cat sense."

I have a barn too (with five horses) and while I don't have any problem with the feral cats that have made their home there (which I've also spent countless dollars and hours trapping and spaying/neutering), I would never, ever acquire a cat with the intention of relegating him/her to a live outside, facing threats from other cats, animals, people, diseases, cars, and the list goes on and on. My own cat is indoor only because I want him to live the longest, healthiest life possible. Making him live outside would achieve the exact opposite.

My point--I know MANY people who are outraged at the thought of outdoor cats. I also know MANY people who would never let their dogs in the house. Who is to say? What works for one will not work for everyone.
    It comes down not to "what works for one will not work for everyone." Instead, it comes down to what's convenient and preferable for the owner; and often, it's done without any consideration to the true well being of the animals involved. Sadly.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WOW! 9 months and this thread is still going. When I first thought about getting cavies, I had thought about outdoors, but nixed that idea because I did the research and found that wet ground would be bad for them, parasites would be a daily issue, and of course predators (my cat and dogs most likely). So I looked at indoor cages and quickly found out that store bought was taboo due to size. After building my own out of coraplast I chucked it and went for the biggest wading pool available. That works great for a couple of piggies, but I am still looking for more room.

Now the point to this long ramble - I really advocate the idea of each potential cavy owner/rescuer to due research before purchase/adoption/rescue. I myself don't trust any website exclusively, but when multiple websites and testimonials state "no" to outside, then I tend to take that advice. But... many lurkers may still be housing outside. I know of the breeders I researched only 2 out of the 7 housed them in their own home - and one of them had her caviery in the basement (radon gas?). So the majority of breeders house outside? I don't know that for sure. Do the majority of owners/rescuers treat their dependent piggies with the quality care that most of this forum does? I don't think so. I think that "most" people don't do any research beyond stopping into the pet store (boo!). And by attacking a person instead of teaching that person, some of you may have done more harm than good?

We all mean well, but may want to give our experience instead of antagonising the person(s). I have lurked here since late 2009, and all my research came from breeders and those forum members that have taken the time to post your experiences (both good and bad) to assist me from making the same mistake for my cavies. For that I thank you all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    464 Rec'd/222 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

See, I own 3 dogs and suprisingly enough I would NEVER allow them to live an outdoor life. I also own a barn (with three horses) we have 4 barn cats that are allowed to come into the house for short periods-but they mainly live outdoors. I am ok with them living outdoors and feel that they are safe because they have the garage, barn and "cat sense" to take care of them. My kitties are 7 and 6 years of age and (knock on wood) are very healthy happy kitties that have been with us since they were kittens.

I am outraged at the thought of outdoor cats because of the slaughter they cause among wildlife. They are an unnatural predator which has an unnatural advantage over the wild animals. They often merely wound these animals, leaving them to die from bacterial infections.

Though I had always KNOWN about the problems associated with cats and wildlife, I have become involved in rehabilitation transport this year, and the sheer volume of mangled, orphaned, and injured animals from selfish people who want their cats to LIVE FREE is astounding.

Because of the bacterial nature of a cat's mouth, even a nick to a wild bird or mammal can be deadly.

12. "Thank you, Jennicat, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List