Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Who are they trying to kid

I can't believe they have the nerve to post that! Wait, strike that, yes I can. They're a bunch of liars there. This "Vet Assured" program sounds like nothing but an advertising/marketing ploy. There's no way they conduct site inspection on their suppliers throughout the year - they don't even take care of their own animals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

AS IF they look at every animal and every supplier! What a crock!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts

The vets probably do "look them over" but since Banfield knows nothing about small animals, birds, and reptiles, their opinion is worth nothing.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/3 Posts

It makes me crazy that some people will see this and believe it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/19 Posts

Not all Petsmarts have onsite vets. So, since I know this is true, how can an onsite vet look at them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

What is so hard to believe about this? I absolutely agree that you should adopt animals rather than purchase them from a pet store. However, this does not mean that all pet stores or even all Petsmarts are evil animal abusers that don't care for their animals.

I've been to the local Petsmart and have been impressed with the care they have for their animals. Although the cages are obviously too small, the pigs at least are kept in same sex pairs and were obviously healthy and had fresh veggies in their cages. I was surprised at the worker their who seemed to know every little animal and was describing their personalities and cuddling them.

Also, the site doesn't claim that every store has an in store vet. It says that they have a "supervising veteranarian." I would assume that to mean that their is a local vet that makes periodic visits to the store.

I also think that it's great that Petsmart does not sell cats and dogs and instead does weekend adoptions of rescue animals. Perhaps in the future they could get out of the live animal business altogether and instead adopt out the small animals as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiciaMommycott
    I've been to the local Petsmart and have been impressed with the care they have for their animals. Although the cages are obviously too small, the pigs at least are kept in same sex pairs and were obviously healthy and had fresh veggies in their cages. I was surprised at the worker their who seemed to know every little animal and was describing their personalities and cuddling them.
    Not always true. Most stores depend on the distributer to sex them. They get tossed into cages based on how they arrive. THey don't actually sex them. The distributer does.

Also, the site doesn't claim that every store has an in store vet. It says that they have a "supervising veteranarian." I would assume that to mean that their is a local vet that makes periodic visits to the store.
    I seriously doubt that since they have a contract with Banfield Medical Group, they would have another Vet come in. I can't see Banfield allowing it. I asked at out local Petsmart if the Banfield vet ever came in and they said NO!

I also think that it's great that Petsmart does not sell cats and dogs and instead does weekend adoptions of rescue animals. Perhaps in the future they could get out of the live animal business altogether and instead adopt out the small animals as well.
    Yes, they are so wonderful to not sell dogs and cats. It would be great if they didn't sell small animals either, but it won't happen. They don't make the money off the animals, but rather all of the supplies. Plus, they bank on people's ignorance towards small animals. Most people view them as disposable.

Plonkerworld, the new happiest place on earth!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/15 Posts

It's just that Petsmart vets are known to rip people off and have incompetent advice. I too agree, our petsmart has good living standards for their pigs(aside from the too small cages and occassional missexing, which is the worst for me), but I still wouldn't go to their vet our buy an animal from there.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I believe I am right in saying that this chain was closed down in the UK. Hubby and I used to go in to see what they were up too, there was invariably something to coomplain about...and believe me I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CavyKind
    I believe I am right in saying that this chain was closed down in the UK. Hubby and I used to go in to see what they were up too, there was invariably something to coomplain about...and believe me I did.
    They didnt close down, they just changed their name to 'pets at home' or were bought by that company.

User Tag List