Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What's wrong with keeping guinea pigs outside?

cappolatte

Cavy Slave
I know you guys here are all anti-keeping-pigs-outdoors and I really want to know why.

My guinea pig Wilbur has lived in a large outdoor hutch his whole life (he’s 3 years old now) and he’s just fine. For all those people who think that hutches are all tiny, well you’re all wrong. Wilbur’s hutch is a large Pets at Home lavender lodge hutch which is about 5’2 by 2’3 (I have no idea how to convert that) so he has lots of room to run around and play and he has lots of toys/things to do in there. As for predators and vandals, the hutch is secured with FIVE PADLOCKS (two on the removable roof and one each on every door at the front) so for those of you that say that predators can open the doors, what like they break into the house to get the key first lol? The hutch is also secured with very strong metal at the “window” part as oppose to flimsy wire mesh so I would like to see a predator try and chew through that! Also the hutch is in our back garden where nobody even knows they’re there anyways because nobody ever walks through the cut but even so the hutch is hidden from view thanks to out seven feet high hedge and we have padlock on the back garden gate too.So with all that in mind, what’s wrong with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

luvmycavies

Cavy Slave
I think part of the problem with them being housed outdoors is the fluctuation in temperature. The changes to cold and hot are too hard on them and puts them at a health risk. How much interaction does your pig get if he is always outdoors? Does he have a friend or is he simply outside all alone all the time? How can you moniter his health and all if he is outside?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If he's living outside it's entirely likely he doesn't get the kind of attention he would if he were living in your home where you can see him and interact with him on a daily basis. Pigs that aren't monitored closely and on a regular basis are likely to get sick and die before their owner is even aware that they aren't feeling well.

jordan

Cavy Slave
Something I like about having my guinea pigs inside (in my bedroom actually) is that I immediately know if something is wrong with one of them. I don't have to wait until I walk outside to find out. All of my guinea pigs have also become very outgoing because they are used to me being a part of their surroundings.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
There are tons of threads on this. I suggest you look through the outdoors environment forum.

The main reasons are:
-Temperature fluctuations increase the likelihood of illness and are stressful and make the guinea pig uncomfortable. Guinea pigs need a constant temperature somewhere between 65-75F.
-You will not see them as often. This means you are less likely to notice if they are sick or have some other problem.
-You would be surprised what predators can get into when motivated. Even if they can't get in, it will be very stressful to the pig to have the predator nearby.

It doesn't matter that your guinea pig has been okay so far. You might think that he is happy, but you have no standard for comparison since you have never kept him inside.

Are you keeping your guinea pig alone? Guinea pigs are social animals and need to be kept with (or near) another guinea pig, regardless of how much attention you give him.

Fudgenrolo

Cavy Slave
I'm guessing you are in the UK - so am I but I still wouldn't want to house my Guinea Pigs outside. I know lots of people do but when I read threads like This One About Guinea Pigs Dying From Heatstroke it really highlights to me the dangers in temperature fluctuations.

It's just nicer altogether to have them indoors with you! They get more attention, they benefit from the same warmth and shelter that you enjoy so why not keep them indoors? I plan to have an outdoor run for my prospective pigs to graze in the warmer months but they will be living indoors with me and my other animals.

Plus there are numerous cats round us that no matter how often we chase them still insist on coming into our garden. I woke up to a strange noise the other night and when my husband looked out of the window he saw a cat in our next door neighbours' garden. The noise I heard? The rabbit in its hutch thumping in distress.

Animals don't need to be physically attacked to be killed by a predator. Stress can kill them too.

I wouldn't like to live outside. So I wouldn't want my pigs to either.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I doubt you would like to live outside without a choice of coming indoors. The rapid changes of temperature are the main reason, and because piggers go downhill so fast, its really hard to moniter their reactions to the changes if they are outside. The predators don't need to physically attack a guinea pig to kill it-the stress of living in an enviroment where predators are present can kill them as well. Guinea pigs are domesticated, and they aren't built to survive outside. Plus, its really just more fun to have them inside, where you can watch their actions 24/7.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Well, most things have been said. But I also think that, personally, it's selfish to keep a animal outside all alone when it's pretty easy to bring it inside. I'm not sure if you have another guinea pig or not, but, the poor thing is probably so lonely being outside all the time.
You have to think of the animal's happiness, not your own.
The animal completely depends upon you.
I'm sure you're guinea pig will enjoy life much more to be around people who will stop by his cage and pet him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.