Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't know where to post - or what to do

Long story short I am having to make a move with no warning and cannot take any of my pigs with me.

I am not here looking for chastising about thinking forward to the future before taking in any animals - I really do understand that, but my situation as quite literally changed in moments and I have nothing else to do but find almost immediate homes for my pigs.

Any suggestions? I don't want to dump on some rescue (I was one myself briefly and that would be an unfair decision to make).

I'm in Reno, NV with no means of going anywhere - I have enough gas to take myself and my children to my parents house and nothing more.

I will not stay here, that is not an option and will not happen. My family will not allow any animals to come with me - I have already asked.

Thanks
    Thanks
    551 Rec'd/367 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Don't know where to post - or what to do

I would post in the rehoming section, not in the cafe. You may be able to find someone on this site that can take them. Give information on ages, sexes, any problems you have had, personalities, etc.

I would also list them on Craigslist. Be sure to screen potential adopters carefully and ask for a rehoming fee. Insist on a large enough cage, a proper diet, and that they go together (assuming they are living together).

3. "Thank you, akstrohm, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,516 Rec'd/2,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)

I doubt you're going to be able to find them a home via this website or another like Craigslist as quickly as you seem to need to.

A shelter/rescue might be your best option.

5. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the ideas - however I have previously posted here and on Craigslist for a pair I was trying to rehome previous to my new situation and have had no hits at all. I will have to leave them here for tonight and reaccess my options tomorrow

Thanks
    Thanks
    118 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry to hear you have to move and aren't able to take your guinea pigs with you. I cannot imagine how hard it is for you. I don't know how much success you'll have in finding good homes for your guinea pigs in a short amount of time, I know you stated you don't want to leave them at a rescue, but surrendering them to a good rescue may be your only option in the sense they are experienced in adopting them out and can screen potential owners and your looking to immediatley rehome them. I wish you the best and hope you can find homes for your pigs. I live in PA, I'm sorry I wasn't closer.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,516 Rec'd/2,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)

Are they safe? I certainly don't want you to get into any personal details you don't want to divulge but if it's such a dire situation you have to take your children and leave right this instant, why is it that the animals are safe there?

9. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It isn't so dire to make the pigs unsafe - it is me and my children that are currently unwelcome, not the animals. I just need to rehome them as soon as possible (and will probably be taking them to the Humane Society as I am unable to locate a rescue near me).
    Last edited by SnowFlower; 07-29-09 at 08:07 pm. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/49 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry to hear that you have to surrender your piggies. I'm sure that they will end up in the hands of a loving family. I hope you and your children stay safe and all turns out well in the end for you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    214 Rec'd/122 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I called my ex boyfriend in Sparks and my mom's friend in Carson City. Neither are interested in taking in guinea pigs. One has three BIG dogs, and the other has too many birds as is. I'm sorry.

I hope that you and your children are all right and safe.

Thanks
    Thanks
    141 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a tough situation. I'm really sorry.

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the kind words - here is an update:

What happened was a huge blow-out with the husband. I was all set and ready to leave and never come back...however with some tips from our marriage counselor we did some conflict resolution and then gave each other a break where after the children were asleep in bed, I went to a good friends house for a drink and some conversation. I came home early in the morning and while we are walking on eggshells a bit, we are working thru our issues and will continue to care for the herd of 8.

I will still be looking for homes for 2-4 of them, only due to the fact that our financial situation has dramatically changed and it is unfair to keep that many when we would be unsure if an emergency were to come up if we could pay for the proper care. However we have a little time to make sure the ones we do unfortunatly have to rehome go to the best possible family and will receive the best possible care. I am actually considering adding into my adoption contract that they will have to become a member of this forum and will need at least one, maybe two home checks after the pigs go into thier care. I want to be very responcible about this since I made a commitment to my pigs and it isn't thier fault we need to rehome them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,516 Rec'd/2,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)

I'm just going to throw this out there, and I don't intend to sound mean or judgmental.

If your first thought after a "major blowout" with your husband is to take your kids and leave, that's fine. But if that also means that your first thought regarding your animals is to rehome them, perhaps you should rehome them anyway. Especially if it is, or at least has the potential to become, a tumultuous relationship, especially if you're walking on financial eggshells to begin with.

I know that when you joined here you were new to pigs and had just recently gotten two or three. About a month ago. Since then your number has rapidly grown and I wonder if you've gotten in a bit over your head. I know you intended to run a rescue and I know that your heart has always been in the right place. But it seems to me that there's been this constant going back and forth for you between running a rescue, rehoming pigs, tight finances, and now this situation with the hubby.

I just honestly wonder if it might be in their best interest, not to mention yours, to be in a different situation. You won't have the added burden of their needs and care and hopefully you can find them a home that's more stable.

Please take this in the spirit in which it's intended - because I am married too and I know the struggle day to day life can become in a marriage. I have contemplated a separation on many occasions, and I can tell you that always, all of my animals are part of the plan. And I don't mean to say that I think I have it "more together" or anything else than the next guy or gal. But as you said, I have made a commitment to these animals and therefore my life plans always involve them. At the very least I would hope you'd take from this situation that you need to at least have a plan in mind should the next heated argument with your husband not end in a peaceful resolution that includes you sharing the same home.

16. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," say these 7 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am usually quick to take offense to things, Paula, however I understand your position and that you are only looking out for the well-being of my pigs. Thank you.

I have been seriously thinking I have gotten in way over my head and I know that while my heart was in the right place I may have made some decisions that were, well, childish. I am currently working over my family budget, and making solid plans if this should ever occur again.

I am feeling pretty horrible about all this, and while your words do hurt - you, as always, put it quite tactfully and with genuine care and concern.

I have always been very taken by animals and for some reason I always have these grand hopes of saving some small part of the world.

Please, everyone, don't think I am out to be a crazy piggy lady that is not interested in the best care possible for my animals. I am not, I really do care about their welfare, wellbeing, and continued humane and loving care. This is the reason I have realized that I am in over my head and am quite overwhelmed by it all. Like I said before, I started with the best possible intentions, a solid and workable budget, and a stable marriage. Life does change, though, and I am 150% against making life hard on my pigs. I honestly feel that a well thought out and screened new home for 25%-50% of my herd is the best possible solution to my problem and I hope that I will still be a welcomed part of this community as it has been a valuable resource for me as well as a source of new and good friends.

I didn't intend to make this so long, but I felt I should at least let you all know my past and current intentions and plans for the wellbeing and comfort of my pigs.

User Tag List