Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Look what I found on Kijiji

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jan 04, 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    116
    Thanks
    141 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    It isn't illegal unless they are in a state with breeding laws. Provided all animals are being cared for by law standards (not ours) then there is not much we can do except write to them expressing how we dislike it- and that is really not likely to do anything.
    Check your local and state laws.

  3. "Thank you, Seonta, for this useful post," says:


  4. #3
    Cavy Slave guineapigger's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 24, 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji


    That makes me sick! And the worst part is the person knows nothing about guinea pigs! She said "And guinea pig make wonderful small children pets!" I want to scream! As for reporting it, usually on those sites there should be a button that says something like "report post" or something. Good Luck!

  5. "Thank you, guineapigger, for this useful post," says:


  6. #4
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jan 04, 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    116
    Thanks
    141 Rec'd/72 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    The original poster wants to report to authorities, her best bet is to first find out what the limited number of animals are for her location and leave the page up that way it can be given to the authorities as a sort of proof.

  7. "Thank you, Seonta, for this useful post," says:


  8. #5
    Cavy Slave lmracing8l's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 21, 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/2 Posts

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    Did you notice it says on there "for breeders and breeding" and how much you can make by breeding them.

  9. #6
    Cavy Slave lmracing8l's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 21, 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/2 Posts

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    That is just plain disgusting!

  10. #7
    Cavy Slave fieryone's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 24, 2008
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    Posts
    1,311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    184
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/159 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    Breeding animals isn't illegal. I'm not familiar with Kijiji. Are they the same as craigslist and not allow breeders to post on their site? If so that's probably about all you could do, but it wouldn't stop them from breeding. We don't like the idea of what they're doing, but if the authorities see the animals in clean conditions (which it looks like they are) then nothing would be done.
    Last edited by fieryone; 07-25-09 at 08:37 am. Reason: removing redundancy

  11. #8
    Cavy Slave NicholsS10's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 05, 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    500
    Thanks
    144 Rec'd/83 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    Quote Originally Posted by guineapigger View Post
    As for reporting it, usually on those sites there should be a button that says something like "report post" or something. Good Luck!
    There is a "flag post" option. I flagged all of them, but I don't know how many times they need to be flagged. One of the options for flagging includes it being "offensive." Since I personally believe that all her posts were offensive, I flagged that option.

  12. "Thank you, NicholsS10, for this useful post," says:


  13. #9
    Cavy Slave YayPiggies's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 31, 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    21
    Thanks
    76 Rec'd/45 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    That is absolutely revolting. I've used Kijiji many times, in fact, I'm selling an old hamster cage today by using it, but I've never seen anything like that. Why doesn't someone pretend to buy one, then bring the cops with them? I think that's actually possible, I've seen breeders being sued and arrested before! Really! I would do it but I live in Ontario!

  14. #10
    Cavy Slave guineapigger's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 24, 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    Quote Originally Posted by YayPiggies View Post
    That is absolutely revolting. I've used Kijiji many times, in fact, I'm selling an old hamster cage today by using it, but I've never seen anything like that. Why doesn't someone pretend to buy one, then bring the cops with them? I think that's actually possible, I've seen breeders being sued and arrested before! Really! I would do it but I live in Ontario!
    I would be right by your side, but my parents wouldn't let me. Oh well! i'd do it anyway!

  15. #11
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Nov 11, 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    8,396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    2,022
    Thanks
    1,146 Rec'd/634 Posts

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    I'm pretty sure unlike craigs list, kijji allows breeders. We can write to the webmaster/ site owners and plead with them to not allow them. They may or may not go for it.

  16. #12
    Administrator lissie's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 25, 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    9,322
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanks
    2,342 Rec'd/1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    Quote Originally Posted by Seonta View Post
    It isn't illegal unless they are in a state with breeding laws. Provided all animals are being cared for by law standards (not ours) then there is not much we can do except write to them expressing how we dislike it- and that is really not likely to do anything.
    Check your local and state laws.
    Today I went to Palo Alto Animal Shelter to donate hay so I asked the people who work there if I can report breeders. They said there is no law to control the breeding of small animals.

    Quote Originally Posted by lmracing8l View Post
    Did you notice it says on there "for breeders and breeding" and how much you can make by breeding them.
    Yeah. I was so angry when I saw this.

    Quote Originally Posted by fieryone View Post
    Breeding animals isn't illegal. I'm not familiar with Kijiji. Are they the same as craigslist and not allow breeders to post on their site? If so that's probably about all you could do, but it wouldn't stop them from breeding. We don't like the idea of what they're doing, but if the authorities see the animals in clean conditions (which it looks like they are) then nothing would be done.
    Kijiji is like Craigslist. I think it's an eBay company.

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitsncavyluv View Post
    I'm pretty sure unlike craigs list, kijji allows breeders. We can write to the webmaster/ site owners and plead with them to not allow them. They may or may not go for it.
    I checked their policy page: What is not allowed on Kijiji?
    They did not mention breeders. I've been flagging that post so many times and it's still up.

  17. #13
    Administrator lissie's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 25, 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    9,322
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanks
    2,342 Rec'd/1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    By the way, did you see all the pictures on the ads? The blue petstore cage has at least 7 pigs in there. I'm sure it's more from the look of it, that's just one corner of the cage.

  18. #14
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jul 20, 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    That is wrong. I know that breeders have to follow certain rules (number of dogs per household etc) you could always look into that? I know you said you went to the animal shelter and talked to them but if the breeders were violating some type of county law(where I live we are only allowed 5 animals) they would at least get a citation. It would take a lot of work to prove though probably.

    But, in the end, the sad thing is that most breeders know what the rules are and they stay within the limits of their laws. It is disgusting and cruel and so unfair to the animals.

  19. #15
    Cavy Slave YayPiggies's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 31, 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    21
    Thanks
    76 Rec'd/45 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    You never know, some dog breeders have up to 100 dogs in one house- it's disgusting but some of them get away with it. If they can do that with dogs, pigs must be even harder to detect- :'(

  20. #16
    Cavy Slave fieryone's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 24, 2008
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    Posts
    1,311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    184
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/159 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Look what I found on Kijiji

    Quote Originally Posted by lissie View Post

    Kijiji is like Craigslist. I think it's an eBay company.


    I checked their policy page: What is not allowed on Kijiji?
    They did not mention breeders. I've been flagging that post so many times and it's still up.
    It doesn't say that breeders aren't allowed. So these posts are okay in the eyes of kijiji. So as bothersome as it may be, I don't think there's anything that anyone can do besides what rabbitsncavyluv suggested. Writing to kijiji and expressing your displeasure about them allowing breeders to post on their site.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •