Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine How long after neutering can you put the male back in?

Smudge & Monkey

Cavy Slave
It turns out we have a boy and a girl, Smudge had 2 babies yesterday. I removed daddy from the cage straight away, he (Monkey) put on such a performance at being separated, he was so distraught (not sure if its that he really misses Smudge or if Smudge was going back into estrus and he just had male things on his mind?).

I have Monkey booked into vet to be neutered tomorrow. How long after he comes home can he go back in with mum and bubs???

BTW we have a white boy baby and a dark chocolate brown girl baby ♥♥ I think we'll keep the brown girl (since daddy's being neutered) but will probably have to rehome the boy??? (has anyone had success keeping 2 neutered boys together with girls?). The white boy is such a little character already!! would love to keep him too but don't have space for 2 cages :(

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You have to wait a full 2 weeks after neutering.

Was the male with the female during the birth? If so, she could be pregnant again.

No, you cannot keep multiple males with one or two females.

I'm glad the babies are doing well!

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I agree with akstrohm on everything with the exception of how long you should wait before putting Monkey back in the same cage. I was told by my vet to wait 3 full weeks before putting my neutered boy in with my girls to make sure that all the sperm died.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
From what I've heard, only two is necessary, but vets often tell you to wait longer because some people put the pigs together earlier than told. Of course, to be on the safe side, it never hurts to wait extra.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
2 full weeks is all you need.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Can you have two cages?

You can keep Dad with son in a separate one. No surgery needed.

Smudge & Monkey

Cavy Slave
thanks for the replies, I will mark 2 weeks on the calendar. Surgery went really well, Monkey is still a little groggy but has been munching on hay and veggies.

No, I definitely can't fit a second cage in here, space is very tight already :sad: Mum & bubs are in the old store bought cage at the moment. I originally put Monkey in the store cage but he kicked up such a fuss that I switched them around. Smudge doesn't seem to mind, she's a shy piggy and hides away most of the time anyway.

I have 2 uni friends who might be interested in taking the boy baby and either of them would spoil him silly.

clotho

Cavy Slave
One thing to consider is that you could stack two cages on top of each other and not take up any extra space. There are some really awesome cage design ideas on here you could use.

I am also concerned as to whether Monkey was in the cage at the time of the birth. He could have gotten her pregnant pretty much immediately after the birth. I hope not - but there is a possibility that you could end up with another litter.

Are you positive about the sex of the babies?

Smudge & Monkey

Cavy Slave
Yes Monkey was in the cage during the birth, the babies were in the cage on Sunday morning, in the cozy tunnel with mum, all were still wet so I think the birth was very recent. I took the male out straight away, but I realise there is a chance she could be pregnant again but I really think she was still busy with bubs and hadn't emerged yet, so hopefully not. We can only wait and see.

I've googled how to sex piggies now and I can definitely see the difference, I'm 95% positive on the sexing but will recheck again as they grow.

Tonight when I cleaned out their cages I put the 2 babies in with their daddy for a couple of minutes to introduce them. They accepted him like another mother, burrowing into him and darting around the cage to explore. He was really happy and interested in them. Do you think its ok/safe to let them play in the cage with him for short periods (supervised). I wouldn't leave them there long as I realise they probably want mum's milk. But he seemed really happy to have company again and I'm feeling sorry for him being on his own :(

martiru

Cavy Slave
We waited fully 3 weeks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.