Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Scabs, Skin Loss and Seizures

piggie_115

Cavy Slave
My 4 year old guinea pig Desperaoux has been loosing skin and hair towards his butt leaving the skin like a big scab. Also latley he has benn having what look like seizures. He starts to scratch his back then rolls over and starts convulsing. Afterwards he rolls back onto his stomach and looks very freaked out. I am worried about his health and don't know what to do about him. Any help would be great.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Sounds like it definitely could be mites. You could treat with Ivermectin but you should still get him to a vet straight away.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
How about you take him to a vet.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Mites can kill. You can buy ivermectin and treat them yourself ordinarily but your guinea pig is far too sick for that. You need to get him medical treatment asap.

Africa

Cavy Slave
Definitely take to a vet, it could be ringworm or mites (which a vet would help diagnose which one) and if the guinea pig is rolling around in pain, a topical application of Ivermectin wont help much (not as effective as oral dosing or injection). So definitely advise going to the vet as the vet would be able to accurately dose your piggies or he/she may prescribe Revolution, which is stronger if applied topically.

Definitely Vet!!

ResqMomma

Cavy Slave
I am glad I seen this. One of our piggies is acting like that, minus the scabs.

NonNonHeinous

Cavy Slave
I just rescued a guinea pig who is doing the same thing--he has tons of hair loss, dry/irritated skin, and is very itchy. Sometimes when he itches he then has a seizure.

The vet of course saw him as soon as I got him, and she explained that it's just how guinea pigs are "wired", if they are intensely itchy they will sometimes have a seizure. She told me not to worry *too* much when he does that, it's not immediately life threatening. Just let him chill out for a moment to recover. He tends to seize also after you pick him up, I think because of the stimulation on his miserable skin.

He has mites and may have ringworm or some other kind of secondary fungal infection--a culture is in progress. The vet felt he was too debilitated to treat with antifungals at this point, so we have just bathed him with a mild shampoo and then treated the mites with Revolution (repeating in two weeks). We are also focusing on his nutrition, as he has a poor appetite for a guinea pig and is probably vitamin C deficient on top of everything else. He wont eat his hay, barely touches his pellets, but will eat some fresh veggies. I've just started supplementing his diet with Oxbow's Critical Care given with an oral syringe.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am going to disagree with your vet. Pigs are not "just wired" to have seizures. You have a very sick piggy. I had a pig die from a seizure, the cause mites and intense itching. ( At the time not knowing very much about GP's, mites and how to treat them) . It sounds like he has a bad case of mites, plus being sick from not getting the proper food vitamin C. Do not give him anymore baths as that only irritates bad, sore and painful skin. It only cause more drying out of the skin. You can get monostat cream which will help with the fungal and also help to soothe the skin.
It is a good thing you have started him on critical care. It sounds like he needs some help in that area. Good luck with the little guy. Thank you for rescuing him and giving him a good home. Keep us posted on how he does.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Piggie _115 I agree with everyone. Get your pig to a vet ASAP and get him started on Ivermectin. and treatment. Hope he does well. Keep us posted.

NonNonHeinous

Cavy Slave
To be fair, I don't believe my vet was saying that my guinea pig is not sick. She believes he's VERY sick. She wasn't saying that guinea pigs just "have seizures", but she was explaining that the seizures were related to his intense itchiness, and to expect it until he responds to the treatment--i.e. it is unnecessary to rush him to the vet every time he seizes.

He is not getting repeated baths. He got one bath before the dose of Revolution because he was filthy and covered in lice powder (the previous caretaker thought his problem was lice). I used a gentle, soothing shampoo that is soap free and designed for extremely dry skin, and his skin looked much less irritated after the bath. It is also common sense that you would not want to "mix medications" and risk the Revolution reacting to the lice powder, so the bath was necessary.

The Critical Care seems to be helping, as he shows a bit more energy and actually started eating some hay!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.