Thanks
    Thanks
    167 Rec'd/116 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: So apparently we're picking up a pig tonight

He's adorable! Whats his nickname going to be!?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalHouse36 View Post
    He's adorable! Whats his nickname going to be!?
    Short answer? I'm not sure yet.

Long winded answer? My son won't call him anything other than Oliver, hubby won't call him anything but Zaius, and I haven't quite decided what I'm calling him yet. I always said if I had a male pig I would name him Fenway to go with Lola who is a combo of two Red Sox player's names, but it doesn't seem to fit him. I also think that I heard my husband say, "Goodnight, Doc" to him when he was going to bed. (He seems to be pretty smitten with Mr. Pig so far!) So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm still not sure what to say his name is when I call to make him a vet appointment tomorrow. He has a little bit of a runny nose so I'm going to have to bring him in sooner than later.
    Last edited by fieryone; 07-09-09 at 09:30 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    252 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Doc or Doctor would be really cute (of course I'm both a huge Bugs Bunny fan and a huge Doctor Who fan).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/49 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What an adorable piggie! Love the name too.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PiggieMom View Post
    I think Doc or Doctor would be really cute (of course I'm both a huge Bugs Bunny fan and a huge Doctor Who fan).
    As is my husband on both counts. I, on the other hand, think of The Shining when I hear the name Doc. But I did think it sounded cute when he said it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So Mister Monstrous Piggy had a good first night with us. He ate his veggies this morning, some lettuce and swiss chard. He hadn't touched the piece of cucumber or artichoke leaf by the time we left for work, but we'll see if he's eaten it by the time we get home. We will be getting home early because he has a vet appointment today at 4:20. He has a bit of a runny nose, "dandruff", and you can see the membrane of his eye or something in his left eye. I looked up eye issues on guinealynx and it looks like it could be pea eye. It's not as extreme as the guinealynx photos, but we'll see. He also has a spot on his right eyeball. He seems healthy overall. Eating (though he's not used to the hay rack and hasn't touched it much), sleeping, very friendly, and doesn't run away when we go to pick him up. He doesn't seem listless though, he just seems like he's used to being picked up. But of course since we haven't even had him for 24 hours yet we don't know if this is normal for him or not. Also we need to get him checked out and set up for a neuter. Hopefully he's as healthy as he seems and the other things aren't anything to be worried about.

He's very sweet, curious, and friendly. He loves his pigloo, too! He's always in there and he moves it all around the cage. He even pushed it up against the tunnel so that the tunnel and the pigloo entrance were attached. Lucky accident, or he's a genius! He needs a bigger pigloo though so I'm going to pick him up the giant sized/rabbit one. This is one big pig! I'm not used to adult males obviously so maybe he's normal sized for a male? He's 3lbs 4.8 ozs. My husband is already quite taken with him.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    63 Rec'd/34 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll have to weigh my boys. They are quite big compared to the girls though. If they are anything like my rats, the boys are a lot bigger and more mellow and calm than the girls. I've noticed that it seems similar. The boys we have are big mellows mushes and the girls are little more skittish and hyper.

Hopefully the vet appt goes well!

Thanks
    Thanks
    551 Rec'd/367 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm glad he's doing well! And there is no need for vitamin C supplements if he's eating the pepper.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akstrohm View Post
    I'm glad he's doing well! And there is no need for vitamin C supplements if he's eating the pepper.
    Yeah, that's how I feel too. I'd rather not give him anything artificial if I don't have to so as long as he eats some pepper tonight as well, I'm going to see if the store will take the vit C back. I haven't opened it yet.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeetersmom View Post
    The boys we have are big mellows mushes and the girls are little more skittish and hyper.
    So mellow! Wow. I had him on my lap and he started to curl up and lay there like a cat, just looking around. His voice is so much different than my girls too so we have to get used to his sounds. He sounded like he was happy though. It was more of a gurgle than a squeak like the girls though. Just a deeper sound. My husband leaned in and started talking to him and he perked his head up, looked at him and craned his neck to check him out. My husband then leaned in to listen to him and he started chewing on his glasses Lola is the calmest of our girls, but even she's not quite this mellow.

Thanks
    Thanks
    551 Rec'd/367 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can also save the vitamin C in case one of your pigs gets sick and needs it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeetersmom View Post
    I'll have to weigh my boys. They are quite big compared to the girls though. If they are anything like my rats, the boys are a lot bigger and more mellow and calm than the girls.
    My girls are three to four times bigger than my boar! Does this mean theres something wrong with him?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    144 Rec'd/83 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

3 lbs 4.8oz seems kind of big even for a boy. My boy is almost 3 years old and is about 2 lbs 9oz. My largest girl is 2 lbs 14oz (but she's a BIG girl). Every pig's natural healthy is different. It seems like he just may even be a larger boy, as long as he's healthy, there's nothing wrong with that though.

Thanks
    Thanks
    551 Rec'd/367 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jenniwat001 View Post
    My girls are three to four times bigger than my boar! Does this mean theres something wrong with him?
    As long as he is healthy and not losing weight, he is probably fine.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    268 Rec'd/159 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NicholsS10 View Post
    3 lbs 4.8oz seems kind of big even for a boy. My boy is almost 3 years old and is about 2 lbs 9oz. My largest girl is 2 lbs 14oz (but she's a BIG girl). Every pig's natural healthy is different. It seems like he just may even be a larger boy, as long as he's healthy, there's nothing wrong with that though.
    I brought him to the vet today and the vet remarked that he was a well fed boy. He didn't say that he needed to lose weight or anything, but I think he probably will while he's with us so I'm going to have to try not to panic. When he was given to me he had a HUGE bowl filled with pellets (at least they were just plain pellets) and about 4 large baby carrots. He probably is a bit overweight from all of the pellets and carrots.

His appointment went well. He's healthy, no signs of URI. Heart and lungs sound good. I was given some antibiotics for his left eye though. The vet checked to make sure his cornea wasn't scratched which is what it looked like to him at first. After the dye test, his cornea was fine so I was given an antibiotic for conjunctivitis. He goes back in two weeks for the big sniparoo.

User Tag List