Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Giving An Older Piggie His First Bath

My Piggie isn't really dirty..he just doesn't smell as fresh as he used to, so I was thinking about giving him a bath or at least just the back half of him. My worry is that he's 4 1/2 years old and I don't want to upset him so much that I give him a heart attack or a stroke or something (if he hates it!)! I'd be really gentle and do my best to make him feel secure and I'd introduce him to the water gradually...like maybe get his feet wet one day, splash him a little bit( not in the face) another day, etc....just to see how he felt about it. If it upsets him too much, I just won't do it! I've done all the searches about how to do it, so I'm OK with all that. I just wonder if anybody else has given an older Piggie his first bath and if they have any tips? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    551 Rec'd/367 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Giving An Older Piggie His First Bath

I would not bathe him unless he really needs it. There's no point to it. Just make sure you clean his cage frequently.

If you do decide to bathe him, I would do it all in one day. Doing it multiple days will just make it more stressful as he won't necessarily remember the previous times. Use appropriate shampoo (not baby shampoo) and make sure he is thoroughly dried. Basically, bathe him like any other pig. But as I said, unless he is really dirty, I would not bathe him at all.

3. "Thank you, akstrohm, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I gave an older piggie that I rescued her first bath a couple of days ago. It went very well. I used 3 bins - One with clear water and a measuring cup to pour with, one with a little water so she didn't catch a chill that was for soaping and initial rinsing, and one with a little water that I used for the final rinse. I put hand towels on the bottom of each and she just stood there calmly. I did it as fast, but as gently as possible.

I do agree to not do it if you don't need to but if you do my "3-Bin" method works well because you don't scare them with running water, and it is really easy to rinse off all the soap.

I use bunny shampoo, by the way

5. "Thank you, SnowFlower, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I still haven't made up my mind, but I probably won't! I would do it all in one day though (thanks!) and I love the 3 tub suggestion (thanks!) Like I said, I'm pretty sure I won't. I do keep his cage very clean...I disinfect it 1x/week when I change the fleece, plus I have a ton of little fleecy baby blankets that I put under his pigloo and hidey house and I change them at least, 2x/day. Has anybody ever tried any of that dry shampoo that they have for small animals?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The three tub method sounds like it would make things less freighting for our pets. I will be trying that method. Last night my wife and I bathed the cats along with cleaning out the ears and trimming the nails. After ruining a shirt and loosing some blood they smell fresh, .

User Tag List